Carnival Sunrise is now the Carnival Triumph

shof515

Right downtown on the waterfront - beautiful area - I miss living there! :)

Yeah, based on the Google Maps street / 3D views, Norfolk looks like a MUCH nicer port than Baltimore (which is industrial and within walking distance of nothing). There are several hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal, parks, and shopping / restaurants.

I hope that Carnival eventually considers Norfolk for year-round options.

I’m booked for next June on this ship. They say there’s a Steakhouse, but I don’t see it on the plans. And having just been on the Horizon, I think I’m really going to miss the Havana area - not that we stayed there, but having that extra public space to stretch out in was great, and the live music was awesome!!!

We just booked this today after the reveal. It looks like it will be a beautiful ship once completed. I have seen the deck plans and we are in a spa balcony room deck 11- a little disappointed they will not have any spa suites but I guess they just don't have the room for them. I would have totally booked one of those. Excited to see a sailing out of Norfolk as we are only 2 + hours away from this port. So will be a short drive for us. Looking forward to hearing more about this refit and ship. :)

I’m booked for next June on this ship. They say there’s a Steakhouse, but I don’t see it on the plans. And having just been on the Horizon, I think I’m really going to miss the Havana area - not that we stayed there, but having that extra public space to stretch out in was great, and the live music was awesome!!!

the deck plans everyone references are not completely up to date. there are several things they are adding that do not show on the deck plans.

So has anyone confirmed if they are, or are not adding more staterooms? Not to bash them, but based upon their past, I don't see a way where they dump this much money into a entire ship refurbishment and not add more capacity.

the deck plans everyone references are not completely up to date. there are several things they are adding that do not show on the deck plans.

That’s probably true, but did look at the plans right on Carnival’s booking site, so I was thinking those were the actual plans. But I am excited to see it has pretty much all that Horizon had! (Serenity a little on the small side)

Yes, the steakhouse is on the deck plans. the deck plans currently releases is a bit fuzzy. if you zoom in at like 250% you can barely make out the text.

Steakhouse is located on Deck 4 port side behind the photo gallary. from the deckplan:

Capture.png

So has anyone confirmed if they are, or are not adding more staterooms? Not to bash them, but based upon their past, I don't see a way where they dump this much money into a entire ship refurbishment and not add more capacity.

They are adding more staterooms, it is part of the Sunshine process. They are doing the same thing they did with the sunshine conversion. The lower level portion of the theater is now staterooms as per the deck plans:

Capture.png

All of these cabins is brand new

The same thing is being done to Deck 5 Aft, the aft lounge is now being removed for more cabins:

Capture.png

Yes, the steakhouse is on the deck plans. the deck plans currently releases is a bit fuzzy. if you zoom in at like 250% you can barely make out the text.

Steakhouse is located on Deck 4 port side behind the photo gallary. from the deckplan:

Capture.png

They are adding more staterooms, it is part of the Sunshine process. They are doing the same thing they did with the sunshine conversion. The lower level portion of the theater is now staterooms as per the deck plans:

Capture.png

All of these cabins is brand new

The same thing is being done to Deck 5 Aft, the aft lounge is now being removed for more cabins:

Capture.png

What is the "U" in between the Men's and Ladies rooms? I see this throughout the deck plans...Unisex bathroom?

More cabins, less public space. Should LOOK nice when done, but Sunshine already has lowest PSR of any major ship sailing out of US, replicating it won't entice me onboard. Will keep enjoying Victory until they ruin it like this in a couple of years.

prices seem a tad steep for a new old ship on a 5 day, not so great itinerary.

For May 12, 2019 prices are IS-$709, OS-$819, BLC-1029

Horizon which is a new, new ship with a much better itinerary for 6 days is cheaper.

Also for May 12, 2019 prices are IS-$$559, OS-$719, BLC-$814.

No question the ship will sell out as everybody will want to be on the ship for the curiousity of what it now looks like, close to home port, etc.

I was curious too but not at that price.

Happy cruising :)

Bill

Yikes! We were already booked on the Triumph for May 2019. We noticed immediately when our booking disappeared off carnival's website. When it was put back, they had taken us out of our handicapped cabin (we're both handicapped thank you) & put us in a regular cabin! It took quite a bit of talking & finagling to get it back!

All they've done is made the Triumph into another Sunshine. Top 3 decks removed & redesigned. Theater turned into that god awful Liquid Lounge. Steakhouse, Guy's Burgers, Seafood Shack & Pig & Anchor added. New decor throughout.

Our 14 day cruise will now be only the Second cruise for the Sunrise, after a short 4 day shake out. I hope it all goes well. It will be fun being on a like-new ship; new bedding & the like. But I sure don't appreciate Carnival moving us around & changing our cabin like that! Apparently the Diamond Dept was told to keep it a secret, cause we made 3 phone calls & were told admin was working on the problem & it would take till Tuesday. Seriously? I think they could have given people who were booking a heads up, cause we just booked this 7/23.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

More cabins, less public space. Should LOOK nice when done, but Sunshine already has lowest PSR of any major ship sailing out of US, replicating it won't entice me onboard. Will keep enjoying Victory until they ruin it like this in a couple of years.

True true, but from what ive observed on prior ships is the lounge in rear, typically used for comedy, is empty most of the time with no bartender present. Much the same with the stage in the front of the ship. its public space but just not used much and no one really hangs out in either space if there is nothing going on. I think not putting the water slides on the rear of the Sunrise will help crowd control on top as the Sunshine Lido deck can get very crowded with only 1 pool, especially if most of Serenity closes do to wind.

Our 14 day cruise will now be only the Second cruise for the Sunrise, after a short 4 day shake out. I hope it all goes well.

Bail out now. Look up the teething issues for Sunshine when it started sailing out of drydock. It's the nature of dry dock. YOU'RE the shakedown cruise.

True true, but from what ive observed on prior ships is the lounge in rear, typically used for comedy, is empty most of the time with no bartender present. Much the same with the stage in the front of the ship. its public space but just not used much and no one really hangs out in either space if there is nothing going on. I think not putting the water slides on the rear of the Sunrise will help crowd control on top as the Sunshine Lido deck can get very crowded with only 1 pool, especially if most of Serenity closes do to wind.

Good point; it's only "public" space if an event is hosted there. But remember, the addition of cabins is going to add at least 100 people per sailing. Open deck spaces, atrium, dining rooms, buffet, do not get any larger. And these are areas that are commonly tight on Carnival ships (well, don't really have an issue with MDR; but buffet layout is bad and atriums and pool deck space is tight)

Look, I get it, I understand, they are in business yada yada yada...but have cruised enough to know the sort of "baked in" infrastructure choices that can make a cruise more pleasant, or make it be like a cattle herd, and more people with a reduction in entertainment space and no gain in the most commonly used public spaces does not bode well. I know, don't book the ship, spend my money elsewhere, and I will. But as a matter of practice this just points how things are going...

But at night in primetime...that club is full...sometimes with standing room only...and they have anywhere from 3-5 bartenders working. They’ll replace that with a small club one deck below. So to get more people on the boat you make the two main entertainment venues smaller so less people can attend.

The buffet on Triumph was already overcrowded. Maybe the specialty restaurants will take away from that line but it’s the worst buffet line I’ve seen on carnival.

Bail out now. Look up the teething issues for Sunshine when it started sailing out of drydock. It's the nature of dry dock. YOU'RE the shakedown cruise.

Good point; it's only "public" space if an event is hosted there. But remember, the addition of cabins is going to add at least 100 people per sailing. Open deck spaces, atrium, dining rooms, buffet, do not get any larger. And these are areas that are commonly tight on Carnival ships (well, don't really have an issue with MDR; but buffet layout is bad and atriums and pool deck space is tight)

Look, I get it, I understand, they are in business yada yada yada...but have cruised enough to know the sort of "baked in" infrastructure choices that can make a cruise more pleasant, or make it be like a cattle herd, and more people with a reduction in entertainment space and no gain in the most commonly used public spaces does not bode well. I know, don't book the ship, spend my money elsewhere, and I will. But as a matter of practice this just points how things are going...

I don't bail on cruises once I'm booked. I also stand corrected. There are a few cruises running out of Norfolk, VA BEFORE our 14 day, so we will NOT be the shake out cruise.

I don't care for the Horizon. Never been on it, but it was designed exactly like the Vista, which we were on for 33 days. One of the most POORLY designed ships I've ever seen! Bathrooms were scarce & hard to find. Talk about common areas being too small! When they had trivia in one lounge, people were in the walkways, spilling outside - all with no seats! It never seemed to occur to them to change the venue! The Liquid Lounge was horrible during the day - morning show & other stuff - they only pulled out 2 rows of those awful metal chairs & you couldn't see over people's heads cause the Lounge is not tiered. If this is the same design they're doing the Panorama - forget it! No thanks!

We jumped on the Triumph/Sunrise for the itinerary & the price we got for the cabin we wound up with. I suspect we'll be long dead by the time they get around to RUINING every ship we've ever been on. This is not a Carnival thing. All the cruise lines will be doing the same thing sooner or later.

If you find patterns happening on a ship that you don't like - the time to gripe about it is NOW. Don't wait. Cruise lines are going to cut & scrape every little pleasantry until you can't take it anymore. Money talks! It also WALKS.

Our 14 day cruise will now be only the Second cruise for the Sunrise, after a short 4 day shake out. I hope it all goes well.

I assume you are on the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise on May 27. So are we. I think our cruise is the 6th cruise after the dry dock. Plus there will be the trip across the Atlantic back to Norfolk.

April 29 - 7 day Norfolk

May 6 - 6 day Norfolk

May 12 - 5 day Norfolk

May 17 - 5 day Norfolk

May 23 - 4 day NYC

May 27 - 14 day NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume you are on the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise on May 27. So are we. I think our cruise is the 6th cruise after the dry dock. Plus there will be the trip across the Atlantic back to Norfolk.

April 29 - 7 day Norfolk

May 6 - 6 day Norfolk

May 12 - 5 day Norfolk

May 17 - 5 day Norfolk

May 23 - 4 day NYC

May 27 - 14 day NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep that's the one! We'll be there with bells on!

Yes I corrected that about the shake out. Norfolk people will get to deal with that.