Inconsiderate Cruisers

inforem

:mad: I’ve read for years about chair hogs on CC, but on this cruise I’ve encountered a new low. Inconsiderate cruisers...especially parents of younger cruisers. They have the attitude that they are on vacation and they don’t care about the other cruisers on the ship. They let their children(?) run amok,yell on the balcony without any care about the people also on their balcony. That’s because the parents are probably at the pool. How safe is that. We have a balcony but can even enjoy it because the children on constantly on it ...screaming,yelling and banging on the partition. My wife and I wanted to have breakfast on the balcony this morning...it was a beautiful morning..but we had the butler bring our breakfast inside. It was unbearable,rude and extremely inconsiderate. What should we do, any suggestions when be appreciated.

Too bad..Celebrity really never had very much of these issues in the past

Call guest Rel and or security..you are entitled to some peace and quiet...

We like AQ class...fewer children running the halls..but adults can also be noisy ...in their stateroom or on the balc

Call Guest Services and have them contact the offending cruisers. They can say that other passengers have complained about the noise and that the children need to be supervised without identifying you. If the problem persists, call security while the kids are making the noise and have them come to the cabin. If the parents are in the cabin, security can remind them of the cruise contract and behavior requirements. If the parents are not in the cabin, well that's another issue and security can deal with that. Avoid confronting them yourself.

So I'm not a confrontational person at all but when on vacation I will speak up when someone's behavior is encroaching on my enjoyment of an activity...in this case sitting and enjoying the balcony for which I paid. Upon hearing banging on my divider I'd likely say, "hey, knock it off!" Should the inconsiderate behavior continue I'd either report to guest relations or security as another has mentioned. But I'm not opposed to leaving a nice, but assertive note on my neighbor's door either.

It's unfortunate you are dealing with this...it's not something I've ever encountered on Celebrity.

CM

:mad: I’ve read for years about chair hogs on CC, but on this cruise I’ve encountered a new low. Inconsiderate cruisers...especially parents of younger cruisers. They have the attitude that they are on vacation and they don’t care about the other cruisers on the ship. They let their children(?) run amok,yell on the balcony without any care about the people also on their balcony. That’s because the parents are probably at the pool. How safe is that. We have a balcony but can even enjoy it because the children on constantly on it ...screaming,yelling and banging on the partition. My wife and I wanted to have breakfast on the balcony this morning...it was a beautiful morning..but we had the butler bring our breakfast inside. It was unbearable,rude and extremely inconsiderate. What should we do, any suggestions when be appreciated.
Why do I get this feeling your embellishing a bit? Parents with children have a right to purchase a balcony. What were the kids yelling? Who were they yelling at? Were they just kids being kids and talking loud? I think you're upset that there were kids with a balcony near you and you want total silence, peace and quiet. May be a bit of bad luck ....Correct me if I'm wrong ...... Seems like a lot of speculation.

Too bad..Celebrity really never had very much of these issues in the past

Call guest Rel and or security..you are entitled to some peace and quiet...

We like AQ class...fewer children running the halls..but adults can also be noisy ...in their stateroom or on the balc

Too true. Aqua cabins hold only two, but our worst experience wasn't children, it was the couple next door sitting on their balcony and playing a guitar and singing (or should I say caterwauling?) at all hours of the day and night non stop! Security and or GR was the solution.

What should you do? Walk out your door and to the door next to yours. Knock on it. When someone answers, smile and be a friendly as possible. In your friendliest voice say, "Hey, we're your neighbours right next door, and we're finding it a little hard to enjoy a quiet breakfast. Could you ask your little ones to not bang on the partition between our balconies, and to maybe keep their voices down a bit?"

If they don't respond well, then involve guest services. Whatever happened to simply talking to your neighbours?

Why do I get this feeling your embellishing a bit? Parents with children have a right to purchase a balcony. What were the kids yelling? Who were they yelling at? Were they just kids being kids and talking loud?

What difference does it make what they were yelling or who they were yelling at.? The op said they were banging on partitions. I find no circumstances that would be ok. There is some level of noise on most balconies. Our group of adults constantly remind each other that there are people sleeping, having breakfast or otherwise enjoying their balcony. I appreciate that parents and kids have paid for their cruise. Their enjoyment should not be so obtrusive to others.

I think you're upset that there were kids with a balcony near you and you want total silence, peace and quiet. May be a bit of bad luck ....Correct me if I'm wrong ...... Seems like a lot of speculation.

I think a little courtesy goes along way. Just my opinion

Edited by roysue
typo

I would contact security and the hotel manager and ask them to talk to handle it. Years ago, you could approach the parents and tell them there children are misbehaving and they would straighten the kids out. These days, there's a good chance that the parents will get angry at you for criticizing their kids.

Recently DH and I were out for a nice dinner at an upscale restaurant near our home. We were seated at a booth, and the back of the booth where I sat, was a husband, wife and two children (about 4 and 6). The children were jumping up and down on the booth like a trampoline, and twice one of the accidentally reached over and hit my head. I turned around and asked them to stop. No change, the jumping and hitting continued. My DH got up and approached their table and politely asked "would you like me to take your children outside so you could enjoy your dinner?" He fully expected them to be embarrassed into taking control of the situation and stopping the behavior. Instead they smiled and accepted the offer of a total stranger to take their children! I'd recommend contacting security or GS.

We’ve had all kinds of inconsiderate neighbors....some of it annoying but understandable. We’ve had next cabin folks who open the balcony door and play the tv at full volume. Folks next door with Bluetooth speakers who play loud music all day. Folks next door who play the tv at full volume at night or morning. Endless loud coughing every morning (medical unfortunately). Kids running in the halls, yelling in the halls, pounding on every door. Kids running through specialty restaurants....I could go on.

There’s really not much you really can do....we live in a “me” society today...I paid for the cruise, I can do what I want including letting my wonderful kids do what they want.

It’s really not celebrity’s fault..and really nothing they really can do. It’s just the unspoken reality of cruising on a mass market cruise line in today’s world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Inconsiderate cruises can be found throughout the ship and not exclusive to one gender, age or nationality. I want to hear the entertainers not the persons sitting behind me. People rush onto the elevator while others try to exit. And manners at the Buffet are non existent to some.

It is a fact of cruising when you have a balcony that you might have very inconsiderate people next to you. Kids will be kids, and I can deal with that. If they started banging on my partition I would probably give "hey guys cool it" one shot. If that didn't work, I would probably ask my cabin steward to do something, and if that didn't work, I would probably call security.

We once had a balcony on a short Summit cruise where the group next door decided the rules didn't apply to them and smoked constantly (not to mention their loud expletive laden conversation, which I could have lived with because this, unlike the smoking was not affecting my health), until we complained to our cabin steward several times and they stopped after two nights. We heard them refer to us as narcs after that. In my younger days, I might have poked my head around the partition and said something along the lines of "we paid extra to have a balcony and would like to use it while not inhaling your smoke. It is against Celebrity policy."

Why do I get this feeling your embellishing a bit? Parents with children have a right to purchase a balcony. What were the kids yelling? Who were they yelling at? Were they just kids being kids and talking loud? I think you're upset that there were kids with a balcony near you and you want total silence, peace and quiet. May be a bit of bad luck ....Correct me if I'm wrong ...... Seems like a lot of speculation.

Don't be so sure they are exaggerating. Had a similar incident a few cruises back. In our case, it was teen-agers. Yelling from one deck to another, generally raising a ruckus on the balcony. We let it go the first night, and vowed to report it if it continued. Luckily, there was minimal noise after that. But for that night, no, we could not enjoy our balcony at all and they were truly loud and obnoxious (more than a few "F" bombs flung about loudly) - and for us that is a major part of the cruise. You were not there - how could you know.

Book Azamara! Only one very adorable 18 mo old on our last cruise. Or, jump on Virgin cruises when the bookings open up. Virgin will be over 18 years old only.

Unless you charter a private yacht you are going to have neighbors. At least you had a nice dining location in your suite and the option of Luminae for breakfast.

I have been poolside watching crew, including security crew, stand by as young boys somersaulted into the 4 ft depth water with adults sitting at said pool drinking beer out of bottles. Crickets.

I loved the fee perks given out in recent promos, but I think it’s starting to verge on booze cruises.

As a parent of a 12 year old I have raised my child to be respectful of herself, others, and other people's property. I have no qualms whatsoever of telling kids to quite down or settle down.

It irks the crud of of me to hear the phrase kids will be kids. Yes, they will. But there is a time and a place for it. The problem is kids will be kids is used as an excuse for lazy parenting.

As I tell my daughter, this is not your house or the playground. It is a privilege, not a right. She learned before she was 2 how to act in public.

As for parents telling me not to correct their kids, my response is generally, I wouldn't have to if you were doing your job.

Most kids act up either to get attention from an adult or they never been taught any better.

Although I may differ otherwise, it does take a village to raise a child unfortunately, some parents are trying to win the prize for village idiot.

Tough situation as those kids also have a right to have some fun. But if it is really that bad, get a Smartphone and record some of the incident. A picture is worth many words. Take your phone to Guest Relations and show them your issue.

Hank

I agree with those who suggest you speak with Celebrity staff and ask them to handle it if the loud behavior continues. I, personally, wouldn't risk getting into an altercation with another guest. I have a 10-year old son who will be sailing Celebrity for the first time this December. If he had been sitting on the balcony with you this morning, he would have been just as appalled as you were. This is not kids being kids. This is kids behaving badly. Yes, there is a time and a place to jump around, yell and have fun. A ship's balcony (of all places) is not the place for that kind of behavior (for safety reasons alone) and banging on the partition is outright rude. We were once on our balcony on a DCL cruise and saw a kid on his balcony carrying on so much we actually feared for his safety. There are places onboard where a kid can let off some steam. A stateroom balcony is not one of those places.

As a parent of a 12 year old I have raised my child to be respectful of herself, others, and other people's property. I have no qualms whatsoever of telling kids to quite down or settle down.

It irks the crud of of me to hear the phrase kids will be kids. Yes, they will. But there is a time and a place for it. The problem is kids will be kids is used as an excuse for lazy parenting.

As I tell my daughter, this is not your house or the playground. It is a privilege, not a right. She learned before she was 2 how to act in public.

As for parents telling me not to correct their kids, my response is generally, I wouldn't have to if you were doing your job.

Most kids act up either to get attention from an adult or they never been taught any better.

Although I may differ otherwise, it does take a village to raise a child unfortunately, some parents are trying to win the prize for village idiot.

Very well said.

For those who have kids on board ship during a cruise... here's hoping you had a pre-cruise briefing and emphasized that your children will be positive examples that others will want to emulate.

This is also the reason why I steer far far away from alcohol. I make enough bad decisions as it is sober. Why make the situation worse by being inebriated?

Don't travel during school holidays

I'm surprised that this wasn't brought up sooner. I agree.

You do realise that some people work in schools or colleges and can only travel during school holidays? :rolleyes: