NCL vs Cunard

bones774

I know this is apples to oranges, I've cruised NCL and other mass market lines several times. I was looking over at the Cunard board and thinking about treating myself. I know the ships are different styles but are the people that different? Reading statements over there like " I haven't gone to dinner in over 20 years w/o a tie" and dismissively "they were playing Jazz in the lounge", or "I only wear white tux on southern cruises". I Don't wanna hurt anyones feelings from that board but not what i'm looking for, I guess they say same about me!

We regularly cruise the Mass Market cruise lines like NCL as well as Cunard .

Although you may find some types of guests that you mention in the Grill cabins ,

book into the non Grill , Brittania cabin categories (the other 90% of cabins) ,

and just meet the minimum Dress Codes after 6 for Formal & Informal nights .

Very regular people for the most part.

Cunard has Sales all year long as well as they allow TA's to discount their best rates.

Some exotic itineraries as well as many scheduled Transatlantic's aboard the QM2.

We have never cruised with Cunard either, but what one can surmise, they are quite formal.

Not my style.

Yeah, it's not my thing either. I love to hike and camp, I certainly don't want to dress up every night. I'll stick with NCL

We have never sailed Cunard, their add that shows a couple in bathrobes with a butler in full uniform serving them breakfast - is all I need to see to know, this isn't the cruise line for us.

We were just on a Panama cruise, another couple were so critical of the Haven that ALL the staff were stressed, when I asked a waiter what was going on (thinking they were NCL executives) I was told they were expecting the same food and service as the Queen Mary. Other passengers thought they were wonderful but the crew found them difficult.

We regularly cruise the Mass Market cruise lines like NCL as well as Cunard .

Although you may find some types of guests that you mention in the Grill cabins ,

book into the non Grill , Brittania cabin categories (the other 90% of cabins) ,

and just meet the minimum Dress Codes after 6 for Formal & Informal nights .

Very regular people for the most part.

Cunard has Sales all year long as well as they allow TA's to discount their best rates.

Some exotic itineraries as well as many scheduled Transatlantic's aboard the QM2.

Yes, there was mention of Grill cabins in their talk, I was unaware what level of service that was exactly. Where are these people in everyday life? do we bump into them?

I know people that do short Cunard cruises who seem regular but Cunard isn’t my style. I prefer to go where I want, do what I want when I want and dress up as much or little as I want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is apples to oranges, I've cruised NCL and other mass market lines several times. I was looking over at the Cunard board and thinking about treating myself. I know the ships are different styles but are the people that different? Reading statements over there like " I haven't gone to dinner in over 20 years w/o a tie" and dismissively "they were playing Jazz in the lounge", or "I only wear white tux on southern cruises". I Don't wanna hurt anyones feelings from that board but not what i'm looking for, I guess they say same about me!

Have a good friend in NM who is totally addicted to the formal life on Cunard. He would hate our mass marketed lines. I won't go int detail about his growing up year, but I will say he is a little strange. And remember I said he is a friend. He is. He is super nice, would do anything for anyone, but he is still strange. Just knowing him and his idea of life, makes me not even consider a line like Cunard. For each of us there is a vacation that feels good, for me, it certainly would not be the formality of Cunard

I was looking to treat myself to luxury but not rigid formality. How about some of those other lines like Oceania, same thing?

Our daughter who is, literally a seasoned world traveler loves Oceania>Yes, it is more formal than a mass marketed line but nothing like Cunard. She has cruised Oceania a few times,one just she and her hubby, the other with a large group of friends.

I sailed on Queen Elizabeth last year with same thoughts. Is it too formal etc. But I recommend sailing with Cunard for at least a short cruise because the whole experience is so posh and makes you feel so sophisticated. But definetly different from NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed on Queen Elizabeth last year with same thoughts. Is it too formal etc. But I recommend sailing with Cunard for at least a short cruise because the whole experience is so posh and makes you feel so sophisticated. But definetly different from NCL.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Did you bring a white tux and a black tux, how many ties? Really don't want to eat every dinner with a suit and tie, maybe even a tux.

I like to exercise on board, are we allowed to perspire(see I didn't say sweat)?

I did a short cruise on Cunard (on my own) and must say I prefer NCL. There was a certain restaurant I was told I could eat at (club class) I wasn't allowed to disembark when I wanted (even though they hadn't give any options) and I felt very under dressed (even though I dressed up) for dinner. I found the crew friendlier on NCL. I guess its how you prefer to spend your holidays and what kind of service/formality you want. The food in the dining room was nice but not so great in the buffet

I cruised with Cunard from Los Angeles through the Canal to Florida several years ago. The artificial formality

was laughable. I was never allowed into the dining rooms without a sports coat & dress shirt neither of which

I brought with me. So it was fifteen days & nights of the buffet. Believe me it was standard buffet food too.

There were so many wheelchairs and walkers it was like getting behind a line of trucks on a one way highway.

If I were win a free cruise with Cunard I'd give it away before I ever cruised with them again.

You should be aware of the dress code on Cunard prior to sailing. It applies to most of the ship, not just the dining rooms. There were even women in the buffett in evening gowns! They were, however, very tolerant of my violation of it - we sailed with our 6 and 2 year olds, so I needed clothes I could chase kids around in, and couldn't take a formal dress along with diapers, wipes and all the other stuff kids need. So they were thankfully tolerant of my wearing a black day dress (not fancy at all) on formal nights. It was a bit odd the dress was so formal, as this was a cruise to Norway and there was a lot of active travel there.

Please also note that anytime dining is only available in the expensive cabins, and that early dining might be sold out by the time you book your cruise. If this is the case, your choices would be to eat later, eat at the buffet or pay extra for the specialty restaurants.

Overall, it was quite a nice line with very good food and service.

Depending what you are looking for as different, I'm not sure Cunard would be it. Oceania would be a better step. Or even Regent. Azamara is also a lovely product. But I think meeting with a TA that specializes in cruises would be worth a look. We did a Paul Gauguin sailing and frankly cost and value versus what we are paying for a regular cabin on NCL...well lets just say they might see us again. There are a ton of great cruise lines out there, just depends what and where you want to go...even river cruises. Some of the river cruise lines are crossing over into ocean sailings.

We are Platinum members on Cunard and Platinum Plus on NCL. They are two different cruise lines. We've sailed in the Haven. We have sailed in Grill Class (with a reserved table and a maitre d that will cook your dinner tableside for you). At the end of the day, it is a cruise. You move from port to port, you get on and off, you have a good time.

The crew to guest ratio is much higher on Cunard to the perceived quality of service is higher. Literally, you can go out to get a cup of coffee in the morning, and your room will be made up when you return,,,, unlike NCL where you can come back at 3 pm to a dirty room. Guests enjoy getting dressed up in gowns and tuxes. Guest enjoy afternoon tea served in the grand ball room by white gloved waiters (or something a little less formal in the buffet).

I've sailed both lines. It all depends on what you want out of a cruise. I didn't have any problem with the formality, it was fun to dress up.

If you are in Britannia class its just like any cruise line with fixed dining time. You just need to have a jacket or suit after 6 pm (depending on if casual or formal). Don't worry about the tux color it doesn't matter. You'll see more black ones BUT you don't even need a formal tuxedo -- a dark suit will do fine. You can get by with 2 ties just switch them out, nobody cares if its the same tie.

During the day its just casual dress, just like on NCL. There is a gym and the pools are nice too. I know QM2 has a pool that is enclosed for bad weather. Its always fun to pop up to the kennels when the dogs are being exercised too.

We had a lovely crossing, very nice table mates who in regular life were teachers and some kind of business owner.

There is so much to do on board, again, QM2 has the planetarium, interesting lecturers, and lots of things to keep you busy on sea days.

If you want a treat, go and try Cunard. Don't pay attention to the people in the brochures, you won't see them on board (the same for the NCL brochure people too! :D).

I've sailed both lines. It all depends on what you want out of a cruise. I didn't have any problem with the formality, it was fun to dress up.

If you are in Britannia class its just like any cruise line with fixed dining time. You just need to have a jacket or suit after 6 pm (depending on if casual or formal). Don't worry about the tux color it doesn't matter. You'll see more black ones BUT you don't even need a formal tuxedo -- a dark suit will do fine. You can get by with 2 ties just switch them out, nobody cares if its the same tie.

During the day its just casual dress, just like on NCL. There is a gym and the pools are nice too. I know QM2 has a pool that is enclosed for bad weather. Its always fun to pop up to the kennels when the dogs are being exercised too.

We had a lovely crossing, very nice table mates who in regular life were teachers and some kind of business owner.

There is so much to do on board, again, QM2 has the planetarium, interesting lecturers, and lots of things to keep you busy on sea days.

If you want a treat, go and try Cunard. Don't pay attention to the people in the brochures, you won't see them on board (the same for the NCL brochure people too! :D).

OMG!!! Can anyone take their dog?

OMG!!! Can anyone take their dog?

Yes!!! BUT .... dog space is very limited and you need to book early if you want a kennel, and they are kind of pricey. But the Kennel Master is really good with dogs, and they never seem any worse for wear. I've not seen how the cats are handled....they don't get walks on the deck!

What an interesting thread. I've sailed both many times and I enjoy what both lines have to offer. My favorite is Cunard, especially transatlantic crossings on the QM2. But I also enjoy the occasional Boston to Bermuda cruise on NCL, which is a great getaway when I just want to relax for seven days.

It is certainly true that Cunard is much for formal than NCL, but I find the crew to be equally friendly on both lines and it's been a pleasure to get to know many waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards on Cunard over the years.

One area where Cunard beats NCL hands down is in the variety of live offered music on board, with big band, jazz trio, rock 'n roll band, string quartet, harpist, several cocktail lounge pianists, Dixieland jazz, pop and classical singers. There are usually guest performers on board ranging from opera singers and concert pianists (and violinists) to a really good Motown band and the Juilliard Faculty Jazz Quartet. And of course ballroom dancing to a live orchestra.

I've found my fellow passengers to be equally friendly on both cruise lines.

I was looking to treat myself to luxury but not rigid formality. How about some of those other lines like Oceania, same thing?

Oceania is similar to NCL in that they do freestyle very well. Specialties are included (one visit in each...more upon request if there is availability). Food is better in that higher end proteins are generally available everywhere. For example Salmon is on the everyday menu in MDR, rather than fried flounder. Surf and Turf burgers are available at the pool grill. Baby Lamb chops, Lobster and steaks available at a grill in the buffet each night. Fresh berries in the buffet. Croissants are very good, similar to what one would find in France. In the evening the buffet has most things from the MDR menu, plus the grill, sushi, a pasta station and a wok station. You are served requested beverages in the buffet (no drink stations).

Dress in MDR in the evening would be similar to what is expected in Le Bistro. No shorts in the evening in restaurants (but allowed in buffet). There is no coat or tie requirement anywhere, although one might see a few sport coats in the evening, particularly in specialties.

Water and soft drinks are included in the cruise cost. Minibars can be stocked with your non alcoholic favorites. No upsell for things like photos....there are no ship photographers. The high end drink package costs less than the one on NCL, but is never given as a perk. It also has higher end beverages. Fitness classes are now free.

On the entertainment side, you will find less offerings than NCL and no where near the scale of production. This is not where Oceania puts their dollars. The focus is itineraries. They have four small older ships that can port or tender where many large ships cannot. They also have two slightly larger newer ships. The small ships have two specialties, the larger have four. Bathrooms in non suite cabins on the small ships are tiny, with the dreaded shower curtain.

Environment is definitely more oriented toward adults. It is a very quiet and sophisticated in onboard ambience.

Oceania sounds like something I would like. Cunard getting mixed thought reviews, though no one downgrades it here, there is some disdain for the formality.

In 1960 I sailed the QE and QM transatlantic as a 4 year old boy with my family, guess i'm just looking to see memories.

In terms of people, the guests on Cunard are an older crowd, more European and formal. You have to try it once since it is so different and the service is so impeccable. If you're looking for slides, bumper cars etc., you will not find them. The itineraries are unique and the atmosphere is more relaxing - take a nice book and a drink and read it type of relax. If you don't mind dressing up, it would definitely be a treat.

My I suggest you consider Azamara cruises. They are a luxury line with 3 smaller ships. Hundreds of people not thousands. There are NO formal nights. People are friendly and relaxed. The average age trends toward retirees. The passengers are well traveled people. I loved them with I used them for a Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina cruise. In general they are above my price point so it was a treat.

(Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean.)