Anyone go to Santorini on their own after a cruise?

jajsmom

We’ve spent many months exploring the Greek islands.  We love so many, particularly Crete with nary a cruise ship in sight.  So many islands so little time.  I just wish People would realize that’s their experience on the more popular islands is impacted by overtourism.  On Mykonos this fall they wanted 40 euros for two sun beds, at least double the going rate elsewhere.  And don’t get me started on the jewellery prices. Caveat emptor.  So this year hopefully back for another month to some quieter places.  

Don't get me wrong, Santorini is spectacular but it is not the epitome of a Greek island. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Santorini has too many cruise tourists but there is a reason for that - it is truly spectacular. We spent a week there after a cruise from Athens with Aegean Air. There were a couple of days we had with only a small cruise at tender and on those days we walked the path from Fira to Oia. Amazing views. On the busy cruise days we escaped the tourists going to the beach a distance away or by public buses and not venturing near the cable car. Then when everyone left on their ship we went to the local restaurants and enjoyed the peace.