Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, JP, don't you only have 2 more days?😀

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

jp - you must be about to set off on your Ponant trip - I wonder if you are just taking carry-on luggage?  I hope you will report back when you have time, or maybe you will put  review on the Ponant board. 

Have a great trip, and hopefully no Covid  testing snafus.

Lola

Yes, less than 48 hours to go! Thanks all for the well wishes.

Still no action by the French on our passes sanitaires so unless some miracle happens tomorrow I'm resigned to testing in the Nice airport when we arrive. Will pick up some home test kits tomorrow and Chris and I can practice nasal swabs on each other. What a fun Friday night! Hopefully we'll have some wine to make up for it.

Lola, yes we could go carry on, as we only have the two rollaboards but we will probably have to check our bags instead. Reason is that we are taking our wine checks too so that will make three items each. The empty wine checks are too light to check as they are just a nylon shell and a styrofoam insert so we usually carry them on. Between our backpacks, the wine checks, and the rollaboards I guess we have to check one of them.

If I got creative and stuffed our backpacks into the suitcases we might be able to go all carryon.

Hm...

On the way back we will check the (hopefully full) wine checks as well as our suitcases since we can't carry all those bottles on board.

I will probably do a blog on the Ponant boards, but not until I actually get there and we get on board the boat. I do not want to jinx myself! Will try to remember to post a link here. The Ponant boards are super quiet.

@QueSeraSera, South Africa is a great destination. Right now we are looking at Namibia some time this winter and hopefully we'll get a day or two in CPT as a part of that. Have been there on two trips so far and enjoyed it very much.

@mysty, enjoy the wine tasting! Sounds lovely, except for all that Chardonnay... 😉 We are kind of ABC drinkers. But some Chards are tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mysty, don’t mind @jpalbny.  He has no idea how great Chardonnay can be.  

You and Myster will have to come to one of our Chardonnay wine tasting dinners sometime.  We’ll set up a complete vertical from a specific block of one of America’s greatest single vineyards in your honor.  It’s really remarkable to see, smell, and taste how weather impacts the wine since it’s the only variable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@mysty you really know Chardonnay – that is a great survey of the range of wines made from that grape!  I am pretty sure I could tell the Chablis from the California buttery one, but it would be really interesting to compare the full range.  [Full disclosure: I am in the Chablis camp, but in the Macon Villages budget category...]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Have a good evening mysty. It sounds like it should be fun. Curious as to which Australian you went with?

We were limited by what was available at our Liquor Control Board.  We went with Jacob's Creek Reserve Chardonnay.  It was the favourite for 3 people. 😄

Edited by mysty

18 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Okay @mysty, I’m guessing for the Australian you went with the Art Series bottling by Leeuwin Estate.

If only Stumble!  We are restricted here by what our Liquor Control Board thinks we should have access to.  Jacob's Creek Reserve Chardonnay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are having a zoom wine tasting tonight too. The sommelier has chosen 3 wines for a French Wine tour on a Budget. 

Simonet Febre Bourgogne Chardonnay 

Guigal Cotes du Rhone 

Domaine de la Colline Chinon Cabernet Franc. 
The wine stores near us don’t have the last wine on the list so we have gone a little more expensive and bought another wine from Chinon. 

It will be interesting to see how they taste. 
I’m rather partial to a big buttery Chardonnay but unfortunately the winemakers aren’t making them as much now. 

Have a great trip JP and Chris. I’ll be interested to hear about Ponant and comparisons you make when you return. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@mysty you really know Chardonnay – that is a great survey of the range of wines made from that grape!  I am pretty sure I could tell the Chablis from the California buttery one, but it would be really interesting to compare the full range.  [Full disclosure: I am in the Chablis camp, but in the Macon Villages budget category...]

Folks had trouble with the categories.  Taste differences were very subtle.  It was a fun night and we went through very many bottles of wine!  🤣  I may not be moving very quickly tomorrow!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jillyf said:

We are having a zoom wine tasting tonight too. The sommelier has chosen 3 wines for a French Wine tour on a Budget. 

Simonet Febre Bourgogne Chardonnay 

Guigal Cotes du Rhone 

Domaine de la Colline Chinon Cabernet Franc. 
The wine stores near us don’t have the last wine on the list so we have gone a little more expensive and bought another wine from Chinon. 

It will be interesting to see how they taste. 
I’m rather partial to a big buttery Chardonnay but unfortunately the winemakers aren’t making them as much now. 

Have a great trip JP and Chris. I’ll be interested to hear about Ponant and comparisons you make when you return. 

Your wine selection sounds amazing!  Enjoy!

Just now, mysty said:

We were limited by what was available at our Liquour Control Board.  We went with Jacob's Creek Reserve Chardonnay.  It was the favourite for 3 people. 😄

It sounds like a good time was had by all. 😁. Understand limitations of getting product in a country from another country. I can't get Canadian and very limited wit USA wines. South American and European are much easier. 

I haven't had Jacob's Creek for a few years. We have been having less of the Chardonnay, though I still love it as long as not over-oaked. We have come across some amazing Semillons, especially from our wine region down south. 

Unfortunately for my husband he has developed an allergy to the tannins in red wine but it has encouraged us explore different white wines to match food types.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

It sounds like a good time was had by all. 😁. Understand limitations of getting product in a country from another country. I can't get Canadian and very limited wit USA wines. South American and European are much easier. 

I haven't had Jacob's Creek for a few years. We have been having less of the Chardonnay, though I still love it as long as not over-oaked. We have come across some amazing Semillons, especially from our wine region down south. 

Unfortunately for my husband he has developed an allergy to the tannins in red wine but it has encouraged us explore different white wines to match food types.

Exploring different wines to suit is definitely research I enjoy.   Whenever available we head for the road less traveled.   Part of the fun you can enjoy in lockdown! 😁

Good morning Coolers

Is anyone following the US Open Tennis?  The women's final is between a British girl and a Canadian one, both still teenagers, both mixed race, and both brilliant.  (And our girl was actually born in Canada).

May the best girl win!!

Lola

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning Coolers

Is anyone following the US Open Tennis?  The women's final is between a British girl and a Canadian one, both still teenagers, both mixed race, and both brilliant.  (And our girl was actually born in Canada).

May the best girl win!!

Lola

Hi Lola, yes........I watched some of it. Your gal crushed her opponent in the first set.........wow.

The finals tomorrow should be quite fun to watch🙂.  Leylah (the Canadian) came back in her match.

Lois - I thought I saw a post from you the other day - their  'identity' thing looks like  the same shade of green, and their  initial also L, like you.  I suppose someone must have goofed there, I think they are all supposed to be different.  I wish I could have a nice colour for mine, I hate 'beige'.

Lola

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Lois - I thought I saw a post from you the other day - their  'identity' thing looks like  the same shade of green, and their  initial also L, like you.  I suppose someone must have goofed there, I think they are all supposed to be different.  I wish I could have a nice colour for mine, I hate 'beige'.

Lola

Hi Lola, maybe email cc help and ask if you can have them change that color😀

@Host Jazzbeau I don't know if it's a change you can make, or can pass up the CC hierarchy: it seems like it's well past time to remove the Barbara Muckerman "special event" subforum from the top of the forum page, and unpin the welcome message about the event. This event was many months ago, and most of the information Barbara shared is now long out of date. Actually, I now see that the link to the subforum doesn't even work any more.

Sorry to inject this bit of business in the Water Cooler, but without direct messaging on CC, I wasn't sure how else to reach out to any of The Powers That Be. We now return you to your regularly scheduled funnies, meal preparations and wine tastings! 😉 

• Thanks 2

Good morning coolers.....I had a Dr appt yesterday (just a check up) my A1C number is good👍6.2.

He said under 7 is always good.  And my Doc, well he really has had it bad this year.....he told me earlier in the year he got Covid--and then his whole family got it😟......and at the same time, he got a virus behind his left eye.......and had to go to Mayo........he was literally going blind in that eye.....they had to give me strong steroids. He said it is finally getting better but still a little fuzzy in that eye. And this part, how he caught it? From a CAT......JP, you ever heard that? Something was contagious from the cat that entered his body........part of the eye and brain........😲