Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

22 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I would like to recommend avoiding a recipe I tried last night - catfish cakes.  The idea was to replicate crab cakes for a fraction of the cost.  Didn't work for me, maybe others have had better luck.

Years ago I made faux crab cakes.  I used grouper with Old Bay seasoning and on top of each one I put a piece of lump crabmeat prominently displayed.  No one complained,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

I used grouper with Old Bay seasoning

Glad yours worked out emtbsam!  I also brought out the Old Bay in full as well as other crab cake spices we prefer (white pepper, a bit of Colgan's dry mustard, etc).  I can only conclude that I can't cook worth a da** - no, wait a minute, a little joke there - I can only conclude North Carolina catfish no, grouper yes, if making faux crab cakes. 

• Like 1

I had fresh grouper today!  I sauteed it with olive oil, some Mrs Dash and fresh squeezed lemon.  A side of asparagus 

and it was delicious.🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I so agree with Homer, and love the grilled steak pic by Chas.  But, has anyone else here ever heard of mammalian meat allergy, or alpha gal syndrome?  This insidious condition makes one allergic to all mammalian meat.  So cruel.  Apparently I got it from a tick bite a couple years ago, and it is still with me.  Poultry and seafood all fine, but no real bacon, no filet mignon, veal parmigiana, etc.  Not looking for sympathy.  But, as I hope to meet many or all of you folks on a cruise someday, thought I would get this awkward bit out of the way.  (Yes, I really am ordering the chicken at this marvelous steak venue 🙂)

Sorry to hear this! Hopefully if the ticks avoid you, it will go away... eventually. 

As long as pictures don't trigger your allergies, here are a few dinner shots. The herb garden has grown remarkably since my last picture 6 weeks ago (included for comparison). The mint has grown so much that it's eclipsing the three other plants on the right. 

Tonight:

20200701_175233.thumb.jpg.231718e27089777ca0f23a5e5f897c0d.jpg

May 19:

20200519_065605.thumb.jpg.703fb0c97cdf85e1bd1fd264269ca89e.jpg

Time for a few pitchers of mojitos, just to put a dent in the mint. I already tried tabbouleh and that wasn't sufficient.

Tonight's fresh kill for dinner - this went into a chimichurri sauce, with lots of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.

20200701_175207.thumb.jpg.9ec86b0659779088c6f45c4609345b22.jpg

Finished product. Some fresh dill on the potatoes for good measure.

20200701_183813.thumb.jpg.b248ec77970c1dafa8f296cdea5c640c.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I so agree with Homer, and love the grilled steak pic by Chas.  But, has anyone else here ever heard of mammalian meat allergy, or alpha gal syndrome?  This insidious condition makes one allergic to all mammalian meat.  So cruel.  Apparently I got it from a tick bite a couple years ago, and it is still with me.  Poultry and seafood all fine, but no real bacon, no filet mignon, veal parmigiana, etc.  Not looking for sympathy.  But, as I hope to meet many or all of you folks on a cruise someday, thought I would get this awkward bit out of the way.  (Yes, I really am ordering the chicken at this marvelous steak venue 🙂)

There is no button for expressing sympathy with your allergy condition.  We need more buttons here on CC!  Obviously you have come to terms with your food issue.  It must be a struggle for you though, especially if you can't enjoy food you used to love!  Bravo to you for dealing with and graciously accepting the limits to your dietary options!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good ones about the "copy cat" and the "I agree" button.  Nice looking herb growing by J.P.    Great finish product visual for that tasty beef!!

Getting ready and close for celebrating the Fourth of July in the USA.  But, sadly, no fireworks, parades, etc.  Missing that fun this year due to that pesky Covid-19 stuff. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1914257154_ScreenShot2020-07-02at8_52_00AM.thumb.png.f630f49ef861cc8573f06b12b66ad92f.png

1830427594_ScreenShot2020-07-02at8_52_21AM.thumb.png.843cbfe9a58f94637a4de9003711f975.png

Speaking of "surviving", right now the major challenge ahead for many of us in the U.S. will be the weather.  AND, being so very, very hot, HOT, HOT!!  See below.  Much heat here.  Below is the map for Saturday afternoon, July 4th, across the United States.  

The good news here for those who are baseball fans is that everybody's favorite team is right now undefeated!!  No losses for your team on July 4, the normal mid-point for the major league baseball season. All of the team are tied with the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From AccuWeather, first is their map of the U.S. with the shades of orange and red showing temperatures in the 90's up to those areas above 100 degrees F on Saturday.  For parts of the Carolinas, etc., it will be above 110F on July 4th.  Second chart below is the three week view for us here in Central Ohio with high's mostly in the 90's with little or no rain to cool us down.  Much above normal summer heat here!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

662801120_ScreenShot2020-07-03at9_08_20AM.thumb.png.6d4be1ad1790b84799f6108e0c3390a3.png

Central Ohio Three Weeks Temperatures/Conditions.  Hot enough??: 

964068213_ScreenShot2020-07-03at9_10_03AM.thumb.png.ccedd83a0e51e1efb8d6b091b8d68b45.png

Good morning friends............beautiful flower😃

Well, yesterday I actually had cauliflower crust pizza and I must tell you, it tasted quite good😃 and the carb intake

is very low.  I had it with roma tomatoes, spinach, artichokes and of course cheese😃.  One of our local places

has different pizza crusts........I am impressed.   It was my first pizza in many, many months. I only ate 2 slices

and brought the rest home so plenty of leftovers.  I know it is not "real dough" but it works for me and I have to

be honest, I am trying so much to eat healthier it felt kind of good.........!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An 8 day land trip across Ireland we had scheduled through a travel agent for early August was cancelled late yesterday.  I guess no escape from the heat this summer.

Feathering the edges of the roasties tonight as per our daveywavey, hoping for the best to go with tilapia and steamed fresh green beans.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

An 8 day land trip across Ireland we had scheduled through a travel agent for early August was cancelled late yesterday.  I guess no escape from the heat this summer.

Feathering the edges of the roasties tonight as per our daveywavey, hoping for the best to go with tilapia and steamed fresh green beans.

Sorry to hear about your land trip across Ireland cancellation!   That must be a big disappointment!  Enjoy the feathered roasties and hope for a better future travel!

• Thanks 1

Roasties look great, QSS! But I can't see the salt flakes, so I'd embellish them a bit.

Tonight I made some pork chops on the grill. They marinated in a bit of oil, garlic, vinegar, and fresh basil while we ran some errands.

Served with brown basmati rice, roasted red peppers with a simple dressing similar to the marinade, and an avocado to green up the plate a little.

20200703_185344.thumb.jpg.96c5b6a19d70ac6670390bac4713b573.jpg

We watched the first act of Hamilton on Disney Plus tonight, after dinner. Enjoyable, but time for bed. Have to go in to work tomorrow and Sunday, so I didn't want to stay up too late. We'll finish up Act II tomorrow, hopefully.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2