Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Happy Independence Day to the USA.

What's on everyone's agenda?

Perhaps some grilling today and of course at least an hour's worth of water walking to rehab the knee. 

Beastly hot in South Florida.

Hope all are well and safe!

Carpe diem.

• Like 2

We just went out for a stroll around the block - not beastly hot yet, 69F, but will be close to 90 this afternoon. Lots of people out and about walking their dogs.

I'll head in to work in an hour or so after breakfast. Hope it will only be a few hours.

Chris has some stuff planned around the house while I'm working. Nothing fun; probably some cleaning.

Burgers on the grill this afternoon when I get home.

Then we have to finish the second act of Hamilton, and watch the Macy's fireworks. Then did something different this year, which seems interesting. Sounds like they did unannounced pop-up shows here and there at different parts of the City, from Monday onward. They purposefully kept the shows very short (5 minutes) so that people couldn't gather in large groups to see them. They filmed the shows and will put together a TV show featuring these displays for tonight.

Very different from last year, but it should be fun just the same.

• Like 1

Good morning to all of you......Happy 4th as well. 

No plans here.........I bought some new turkey sausages from a company called "The Great American Turkey Co"

and these are maple/apple flavored.  Think I will make them for breakfast.....then will do my walk as well. 

I don't have Disney+ so cannot see Hamilton...........maybe one day when the actual theaters open again they will

show it on the big screen.

37 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

74910718_1119865475072917_4252456928271579654_n.jpg.c557684b96f5b0378e8c08c47ef77054.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

And Happy 4th of July to our neighbours to the south!  Be careful and stay safe!

@mysty

I quoted you here since I assume you meant to post here and not on DW's thread.

Didn't want the Coolers to miss your funny of the day!

And yes, it's very true. I've worn "real" pants with a waistband and a belt maybe twice since this pandemic hit. Otherwise it's casual stuff and change into scrubs once I get to work.

On the other hand, I might have to empty my closet and buy all new clothes when this is over!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

@mysty

I quoted you here since I assume you meant to post here and not on DW's thread.

Didn't want the Coolers to miss your funny of the day!

And yes, it's very true. I've worn "real" pants with a waistband and a belt maybe twice since this pandemic hit. Otherwise it's casual stuff and change into scrubs once I get to work.

On the other hand, I might have to empty my closet and buy all new clothes when this is over!

Thanks so much JP!  Obviously I was not as awake as I thought I was!  OOOOPS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Tonight I made some pork chops on the grill. They marinated in a bit of oil, garlic, vinegar, and fresh basil while we ran some errands.   We watched the first act of Hamilton on Disney Plus tonight, after dinner. Enjoyable, but time for bed. Have to go in to work tomorrow and Sunday, so I didn't want to stay up too late. We'll finish up Act II tomorrow, hopefully.

Nice food pix's by J.P., etc.  Looks tasty!!   No big plans for this Fourth of July.  Normally, we would be right now with friends in a nice, nearby suburb that has their annual community parade.  It's a really old-fashion celebration.  BUT, not for this year!!  Maybe will post later some pix's from the past for that wonderful "Slice of Americana".  

Glad you are enjoying "HAMILTON" on Disney.  Great musical that we were fortunate to enjoy, LIVE!, in March 2017 in San Francisco after completing a Panama Canal sailing.  Seeing on video at home is nice, but the in-person staging, singing, performing, etc., was so totally amazing.  Hard to image that video does "Justice" to the original.  Be interested forJ.P.'s added comments and details.  Below are a couple of my visuals from Hamilton! in SF.  Plus, a couple of more contemporary American comedy voices. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,698

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

1551767366_ScreenShot2020-07-04at8_45_10AM.thumb.png.cfa1ac5d54a8f342042db3728d9861ed.png

899695128_ScreenShot2020-07-04at8_45_27AM.thumb.png.90970c2ac4cde85ae325481e461fbe03.png

From seeing Hamilton live in San Francisco, here are two quick visuals.  Amazing staging and performance!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMZ_5143.thumb.jpeg.e122f6089380cbd4a51f69fa161d2f3e.jpeg

CMZ_5150.thumb.jpeg.bed910d39fb880e1faf3941fa1f25ca5.jpeg

Since our 2020 Fourth of July activities/options are limited today, below are some visuals samples from past celebrations.  This includes from the Bexley community parade we normally would be attending this morning, plus a couple of visuals from the Columbus Symphony doing their Independence Day music program, including, of course, fireworks!!

Happy 4th!!

TC2_9730.thumb.jpeg.244480335566d9449025dcdab8e6abc9.jpeg

TC2_9740.thumb.jpeg.4def15a1ecb3437ce63c3458d420e7c2.jpeg

TC2_9744.thumb.jpeg.cbe36fdad1bd2ac77412bd5c243ec821.jpeg

TC2_9758.thumb.jpeg.5c8a423890116eb6585b261503bc6c64.jpeg

TC2_9852.thumb.jpeg.44d4ac680e4b8e168ae495799557e37a.jpeg

TC2_9950.thumb.jpeg.fa62981ae9ed423941d323bb22c1e125.jpeg

10 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Ouch!

Yes, super loved the QEII visual with the "Happy Treason Day Peasants" labeling.  Fun!!

Below are a couple of "Oldies, but Goodies" for humor (or truth) voices from the past.  

1925860426_ScreenShot2020-07-05at8_25_11AM.png.b4f4814e30ef829889979a7209341a46.png

481492016_ScreenShot2020-07-05at8_24_42AM.thumb.png.03ba1fc2694a223269ee4675d3b01d3d.png

Interesting about Kanye West running for President Are we ready for his wife, Kim Kardashian, to be the next First Lady??!!  Some speculate that this announcement is just a way to hype his record sales.  Are you surprised if that would be his motivation?  Legally, he has already missed most of the major deadlines for many various state filings to be a successful Presidential candidate.  

From AccuWeather today, below show our HOT!, HOT!! weather for here in Central Ohio.  Second is their map and overview for the main parts of the United States.  Most of the states will be either "Very Hot" and/or "Steamy"!!  Looks cooler for parts of Canada and the New England areas:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1691978530_ScreenShot2020-07-05at12_42_54PM.thumb.png.837076e3a7e74565f135347b108d9f66.png

881036743_ScreenShot2020-07-05at12_45_16PM.thumb.png.094cd4ca46eb9e0a88dee6116161f49f.png

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Interesting about Kanye West running for President Are we ready for his wife, Kim Kardashian, to be the next First Lady??!!  

The whole thing is ludicrous!  However it is interesting that Kim as a First Lady seems scarier than Kanye as President?????? She would not be the one with a finger on the Red Button.

• Like 1

If you look at that weather map, you will notice that here in western Oregon (Willamette Valley) it is - as usual - pleasant.  We have the semi-maritime climate, as the air coming off the ocean fills our valleys and tempers the temps.  So - July 5th - 55 F at night, warmed up to 75 F, nice breeze.  Not muggy.  I'm amazed more people don't come here - no hurricanes or tornadoes, minimal nasty snakes and bugs, no killer bees, no fire ants, only little native cockroaches seen once or twice a year.  Evidently the reputation for rain scares the Californians off, even though we have 6 -8 months of mostly dry weather.  Snow in the mountains, but rarely get snow or ice here - kind of a big deal when we do - few people know how to drive in snow, and minimal snow removal equipment in the cities.  (Schools let out when have 2" of snow!)  Having spent some years in SoCal, Tennessee, NYC and NE in general and Utah, I know from unpleasant weather.  We harvest from the garden pretty much all year round.  There is a reason we live here.  "In this world there's simply not, a more congenial spot, for happy-ever-aftering than was in ...." you get the idea.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

If you look at that weather map, you will notice that here in western Oregon (Willamette Valley) it is - as usual - pleasant.  We have the semi-maritime climate, as the air coming off the ocean fills our valleys and tempers the temps.  So - July 5th - 55 F at night, warmed up to 75 F, nice breeze.  Not muggy.  I'm amazed more people don't come here - no hurricanes or tornadoes, minimal nasty snakes and bugs, no killer bees, no fire ants, only little native cockroaches seen once or twice a year.  Evidently the reputation for rain scares the Californians off, even though we have 6 -8 months of mostly dry weather.  Snow in the mountains, but rarely get snow or ice here - kind of a big deal when we do - few people know how to drive in snow, and minimal snow removal equipment in the cities.  (Schools let out when have 2" of snow!)  Having spent some years in SoCal, Tennessee, NYC and NE in general and Utah, I know from unpleasant weather.  We harvest from the garden pretty much all year round.  There is a reason we live here.  "In this world there's simply not, a more congenial spot, for happy-ever-aftering than was in ...." you get the idea.  

We spent a long weekend in Portland for our anniversary last June (2019)...you know, back when we could travel and all... SIGH.

We did a wine tour in Willamette and really enjoyed it. Just the two of us and a guide. We brought our "wine checks" and took 12 bottles home as checked luggage. 

We had a great time and plan to be back at some point. Trying to figure out how to squeeze in a side trip to Crater Lake.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

You should be a travel agent Tiramisu!  Your description sounds like a piece of Eden!  Willamette Valley wines are scrumptious.  Enough of a reason to visit!

Mysty -

So nice of you to suggest a career change!  I design & build buildings, but I have eyes to see, and live here by choice, having spent much time traveling hither and yon.  My office is on the banks of and overlook the Willamette River, in Eugene, where one of the major branches of the Oregon trail lead, and where you could ford a team and wagon across the river on a solid stone riverbed, during low water time in summer.  If you and your family were taking the Oregon trail from the midwest, hoping to grab some of that fertile Willamette Valley land for farming, you would pay a ferryman a fair bit of dough to take you across the river at Oregon City, near Portland, below the great falls.  If not, you kept going south to Eugene, and could cross for free.  You can find heaven anywhere, as it is inside you all the while, but some places are or appear more Edenic than others, perhaps. Lots of places are verdant, and fertile; we choose to live here because of the fecundity of the land, the felicity of the culture, and because the University makes for a lively and diverse cultural experience, AND the men & women's track team, football and men & women's basketball programs kick national ass.  

Edited by Will Work for Tiramisu
  • Like 2

Deconstructed shrimp skewers for dinner tonight. It was too hot to cook indoors so everything went on the grill.

I used old tomatoes that had started to dry up and shrivel. They cooked up better, without bursting. 

20200705_172753.thumb.jpg.846440e83dc0bcbd2183b71b38fa9432.jpg

One more night on-call then two weeks of relief. It's been a slog. Phone gets turned off and the wine cellar will be raided!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

jpalbany - If you have never been to Crater Lake, in southern Oregon, it is definitely a bucket list item.  Me personally, in addition to viewing it many times, I have cross country skied around it two times on 3 day/nite mid-winter trips, and have ridden my bike up to the rim on Cycle Oregon.  It is worth a long trip out of your way; it is one of those geologically very short lived phenomenons that should not be missed.  There is a lodge on the rim, which would be very nice place to stay and take walks around the rim from.  Otherwise, I'd suggest stay in Bend, to the north, and take a day trip - leaving early, and drive down and around the rim, and end up back in Bend.  (Or other Bend area locale, such as a house in Sunriver or other local place with lots of rentals.)  Alternate is to stay in town in southern Oregon on I-5, and drive up to Crater Lake.    

Edited by Will Work for Tiramisu
  • Thanks 1