Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

covid-19 situation snapshot from Virginia:

Tuesday afternoon I started feeling off.  No interest in dinner or wine, just wanted to go to bed at 7 PM.  Wife checked on me later (time ?), and I was sweating in bed, even though the AC was working fine and ceiling fan on.  She went to get thermometer but battery was dead & I fell back asleep.  Next morning its like I have the flu, bodily functions barely under control.  Somehow she gets me a covid-19 test scheduled for 12:10 PM.  No appetite.  Order thermometers and batteries on Amazon, and go get the nasal swab test in neighboring town.  (Family doc said no, go elsewhere.)  Temp taken at elsewhere Patient First 99.6.  While awaiting test results I feel my wife distancing from me...I understand why, and even agree she should, but there is a cold pain to it.  I find myself wishing I'd been more careful about this...

Waiting, the directions are clear - self quarantine until results are known.  But I start to feel better, can even make a post here Thursday night.  Friday, results come back, and they are negative.  All is good.

• Like 2

QSS, glad you're feeling better and that your test was negative. I hope that your interest in wine returns soon! Scary times. I am on pins and needles after our trip to Pennsylvania. Every little sniffle is the beginning of the plague.

We finally found a package of chicken wings today at Aldi, which cost less than $3 a pound. So I decided to make an old favorite, sticky miso wings, for dinner. I had been craving them for months.

But while I was cooking, our cell phones went off with a tornado warning! We checked the local weather and the warning was for an area 30 minutes to the east. We kept cooking. One eye on dinner, one on the outside. Cool clouds out the front door though! 

20200829_184606.thumb.jpg.b63ed1955faa6bbc4c6c4facf97653af.jpg

The wings roasted in the oven, coated with oil, salt and pepper, until crispy. Then finished with a sauce of light miso, brown sugar, fish sauce, ginger, and a chili pepper 🌶 from the garden, for the last few minutes. 

20200829_185248.thumb.jpg.023fe947f157eadf3663f9e06ff9d24a.jpg

Served over rice, with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.  Cucumber salad on the side. And a grenache. 

After dinner the heavens opened for a brief downpour, which we enjoyed from the sunroom, with the last of the grenache. Happy Saturday and Good Night all!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Friday, results come back, and they are negative.  All is good.

Excellent news Que!  As JP said...every little sniffle during these times becomes terrifying!  Stay well!

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the kindness here, thank you.  As per doctor's instructions, I am checking temperature twice daily for 7 days and that has been normal since Friday.  Had twice my share of a summer vegetable casserole last night with fine New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a nice evening with wife.  Feeling safe, but warned.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I appreciate the kindness here, thank you.  As per doctor's instructions, I am checking temperature twice daily for 7 days and that has been normal since Friday.  Had twice my share of a summer vegetable casserole last night with fine New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a nice evening with wife.  Feeling safe, but warned.

Glad that things are going well, especially with a "fine New Zealand sauvignon blanc".  That NZ wine is so wonderful.  Fun to enjoy!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1110780372_ScreenShot2020-08-30at9_36_43AM.thumb.png.56dd0a1b1e9ec13d0be13f924774e664.png

938653321_ScreenShot2020-08-30at9_37_08AM.thumb.png.4f5f3cfb5e9066e1edfbcab1039cb471.png

• Like 1

Sunday. Since we got most of our chores around the house done yesterday, we rewarded ourselves by taking a drive in Chris's new car. Now that it has some miles and it's more broken in, the full power is there. It's got some impressive power.

We went south, along the east side of the Hudson, stopping at a few waterfalls here and there. 

Stuyvesant Falls in Kinderhook may or may not count if you're a purist, because it's over a dam and not all natural, but still pretty.

20200830_122233.thumb.jpg.232ef129831f47457cc0b09707a98784.jpg

High Falls on the Agawamuck Creek is all natural, though. A glimpse through the trees was beautiful. 

20200830_130415.thumb.jpg.b41b18b4eb34b09a30b800f9bc7a7bd5.jpg

We found a path down,, rock hopped upstream,  and found the bottom of the falls. Along with everyone else. 

20200830_132025.thumb.jpg.01e89324d833318f28292f3cc55d7a22.jpg

A bit further south to Hudson, where we crossed the Rip van Winkle Bridge, then turned north towards home. There was one more waterfall to find, in the Hannacroix Preserve. 

This was a 15-minute hike, and there were some inclines too! But a nice view when we got there.

20200830_144448.thumb.jpg.55c6ebc5e487aefd8130c3af42cdfb6d.jpg

Now we were getting hungry. We had only eaten a little snack before leaving home, which had worn off. So when we got home, we both went into full-on cooking mode before we got hangry.

Schnitzel, with potato salad and cole slaw. Not quite traditional German, but the ingredients were all there.

20200830_164324.thumb.jpg.11ec1a39e183f5020be7967758791e5e.jpg

That filled the tank. Monday is looming. Oh well. Could use a longer break one of these days...anyone know if there's a cruise we can take? 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Schnitzel, with potato salad and cole slaw. Not quite traditional German, but the ingredients were all there.

So you can sleep well, I made you dessert tonight.  Grilled Colorado peaches with Brie and toasted almonds paired with an ‘88 Château d’Yquem Sauternes.  

When you and Chris want more than a weekend break from work, jump on a Southwest flight this fall or winter, come see the mountains, and we’ll open another d’Yquem one together.  I know it’s not a cruise, so maybe we can talk Spins into meeting us for dinner up at Splendido in Beaver Creek to make it feel more like a night a La Dame. She’s surely had enough of Florida humidity by now.

59455872-1E73-4CB6-87BA-B6F885356A91.jpeg

3436200A-5CF4-4CFA-8C23-D4BA689CC95B.jpeg

41CBD8F1-94AE-4FFD-B39A-45655A16CE4C.jpeg

• Like 6

Stumble!!!

Great idea.

We are ready to jump.

Over ready in fact.

And yummy eats from Splendido.

Thanks too for what to do with the ripe peaches and the brie in the frig. I have not been doing much on grill because it is so HOT here. Made some chicken the other day and watched over it while in the pool (the water is 90 degrees toasty).

Alas, we will have to temper our urge to jump with the reality of the virus. And now, our aging dog who panics if she doesn't know where we are in the house because she is failing and deaf.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

So you can sleep well, I made you dessert tonight.  Grilled Colorado peaches with Brie and toasted almonds paired with an ‘88 Château d’Yquem Sauternes.  

Agree going to the Colorado mountains sounds like a great idea, especially if you can enjoy such wonderful peach and cheese treats. Looking super excellent.  Tasty, too!!

229965826_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_23_49AM.thumb.png.51d290fd94a83b0271673578b23aa0c9.png

1526016278_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_22_11AM.thumb.png.c73e6c522e17da3c33f77f91218fb2f4.png

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

Good morning, the peaches looks delicious😀

JP, if you find that cruise let us all know----I will be right behind you😀  Looks like you had some beautiful weather

on your day out.   It rained here for almost 99% of the day yesterday☹️.......I actually started my morning walk and had to turn around and come back home.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

This is my favourite cooler page to date- lovely scenery, gorgeous food, great funnies,  and what could have been a sad story, all on the one page.  Thank you all.  Lola

Great to hear the Cooler is currently performing well.  Below is a "bonus" posting.  

Perfect weather now here in Central Ohio.  Per AccuWeather, it is 75°F, RealFeel 83°, Air Quality Excellent, Wind SSE 5 mph, Mostly sunny. Humidity 57%  Cannot get much better here, especially for late August.  

774543423_ScreenShot2020-08-31at11_44_10AM.thumb.png.85297cfa31e1c8cbf1a2238126f89b76.png