Cruise Critic Community
CCHelp

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

I Could never have a tash like that Clo, I enjoy corn on the cob too much.

Edited by Daveywavey70
Autocorrect corrected

16 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

IHave any other coolers researched their ancestry?

My dad's side has been traced back to 1575 in Bourdet, France.  One of my distant relatives created a huge book which I was lucky enough to purchase.  First ancestor came to Canada sometime between 1695 and 1699.

Do you class yourself as being of French descent M? Sorry to ask such a controversial question and feel free not to answer. 

Hi Davey.......wow, that is pretty amazing!  My Dad's Mom came from Russia before WWI......talk about a trip.

She came over on ship all by herself and didn't speak a word of English. My Dad's Dad? I never knew him because

he died when my Dad was about 17.

My Mom's family? My Mom's Dad's family came from Russia too......I can't remember about her Mom's family.

But they were much more assimilated than my Dad's Mom.  My Grandma Rose had a very heavy accent (Russian).

My Grandma Anna only had a New York accent LOL.  I knew both of my Mom's parents.

My Grandpa was in sales---I remember as a little girl I would find lots of buttons in their apt......he used to sell them.

Oh, when I said my Grandma came over on a ship? She landed at Ellis Island along with tons of others

for a better life.

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Could never have a tash like that Clo, I enjoy corn on the cob too much.

What's a "tash" ? 🙂

My dalliance with genealogy came to a sudden halt early on. The Irish record office burnt down in the early 20th century with the loss of census and other centralised records. So I can't get further back than that without visiting individual parishes and searching church records. 

However, all parents, grandparents and great grandparents were born within 10 miles of each other in Co. Down and of my 16 great, great grandparents, 15 were born in Ireland but one male came from Ayr in Scotland. 

So that cheers me up - there's no English in there. 😂😂

That's fighting talk, TTS!   I am a mere mongrel, albeit mostly from the UK - half Welsh, the rest mainly from northern England, spiced up a little by a French great-grandmother.  My kids are a bit more mongrelly, having  some Irish blood from their father.

Their grandchildren are going to be even more diverse, as their son's American wife and mom-to-be has Irish, Spanish,  Indian and eastern European blood from her four grandparents.  I am delighted, so long as everyone inherits the best characteristics from their forebears.  I do love hearing about US citizens ancestry; always very interesting as unlike some of us stodgy Brits they all at some time came from somewhere else.  

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

My dalliance with genealogy came to a sudden halt early on. The Irish record office burnt down in the early 20th century with the loss of census and other centralised records. So I can't get further back than that without visiting individual parishes and searching church records. 

However, all parents, grandparents and great grandparents were born within 10 miles of each other in Co. Down and of my 16 great, great grandparents, 15 were born in Ireland but one male came from Ayr in Scotland. 

So that cheers me up - there's no English in there. 😂😂

Whereabouts in Co Down TTS? My lot are from round there. Comber way. We could be kissing cousins. 
Rp

Edited by rosepark

An old family photo of my great great grandfather with his second wife and son (my great grandfather] from his first marriage.

I got this from a cousin who has the same name as my gg grandfather who sent it to me a while ago. The lady was born in 1856 and my cousin who is now 79 remembers meeting her just before she died in 1950. Thus his great claim to fame is that he has shaken hands with someone born before the American Civil War.

Sorry but getting this the right way up is a bit technical for me.

435387D5-349F-4F49-8813-6ADE53B2C535.thumb.jpeg.5d3d5a277895205dd5cb5c471465ac80.jpeg

10 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Do you class yourself as being of French descent M? Sorry to ask such a controversial question and feel free not to answer. 

DW..I don't consider that a controversial question.  😄  I am a proud Canadian whose roots are found in France.  My mother's family can also be traced to France in the 1700's.  Unless your heritage in First Nations here, most of the people who came to Canada in the early days came from France, England, Ireland, Scotland.  Canada was originally called New France for a reason.  ☺️

9 hours ago, clo said:

What's a "tash" ? 🙂

clo...it's a Mustache.  🙂

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

118729506_1170958213296976_6316568037373276137_n.jpg.329d87f8c0a2fcaf310c641ac3d6d6e0.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

13 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

On another note, Bob will be having a COVID test on Sunday at a drive through site in preparation for a PET scan and a big surgery on Tuesday.  Fingers crossed!

Good luck Victoria for Bob.

Last night it was crab risotto.   We live in Norfolk, in the east of England, and crab is a local speciality.  It's called Cromer Crab which is quite different to other crabs, such as those in the west of England, as they are quite small and have a high ratio of brown meat to white.  They are especially sweet and the brown meat is conducive to making into a near-sauce.

My risotto consists of separating brown from white meat.  Add lemon juice to the brown meat and mix well.  Then sauté red onion and chopped fennel until softened, then add some garlic, fennel seeds and dried chilli flakes, then some baby toms, then the rice, some vermouth or white wine, finally the fish or shellfish stock, ladle by ladle.  The trick is not to add the crab to the simmering rice mixture.  Take it off the heat, wait a minute or two, then add brown and white meat along with chopped fennel leaves and Italian parsley.  Serve with extra olive oil, ciabatta and a nice white wine.  

DSC_0008.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

Hi all, lots to catch up on!

First, @Emtbsam, best wishes to Bob on his upcoming surgery. Hope all goes smoothly! 

Second, regarding genealogy, my uncle had the family tree traced a few years ago. It's fascinating. One branch goes back to medieval England and a few royals appear in the line. Neat to think about but who knows if any of it is real. I have to digitize it some day.

We did an overnight getaway to the Finger Lakes last night. Our view last evening. 

20200911_191234.thumb.jpg.9c6235e1b82056b864bcb01306795bcc.jpg

Now off to taste some wine!

14 hours ago, Lvshack said:

wow Terry fantastic photos ( how old are you???,)  I was 21  on your first visit to the UK!!! ( 1977) you have a lot of travel history... Your kidney stones are just as important to you getting through it as my dealing with my cancer ... My stem cell transplant was a very tough ride ..but I'm here & always thinking of next year & years beond.. keeps me going .. hope all goes well for sending positive thoughts

Sounds like our Bath/UK friend was born around 1956.  You are YOUNG!!  Right?  My birth was in late 1947.  My view?  I'm still "Middle Aged"!!??  My first trip to Europe was in December 1970, spending nearly a whole month using the Europe rail pass to visit France, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, Austria and italy.  Was there to attend a wedding in Rome.   Below are just a few pictures as proof and evidence from that first Europe adventure!  Rome is a busy, congested, noisy city, but amazing with its history, food and culture.  

WOW!!  Stem cell transplants sounds challenging.  Glad you are doing better and being active these days.  Keep up the great participation at the Cooler and on these CC Boards.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,063 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From December 1970, here are two examples of the spectacular exterior of and around St. Peter’s.  First is the front with one of the spectacular fountains in the foreground from my 1970 visit.  Notice the older cars?  Second is a “high shot” from being young and able to climb to the top of the dome.   St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, holding 60,000 people.  It was “built to impress” and does.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

00004_s_9aeu76nwm0004.jpeg.0dffb8d3f31ceba60efe3edbbea0b000.jpeg

00003_s_9aeu76nwm0003.jpeg.98b328aa0b1e890c9063b7911bcc4242.jpeg

Trevi Fountain might be Rome’s most celebrated fountain and one of world’s most famous.  It took about 30 years to build (from 1732 to 1762) and depicts Neptune, the god of the sea.  Visitors toss coins into the water in hopes to guarantee a return to Rome. It worked for me.  Have returned to Rome twice since 1970. This picture shows its large front, but I have another showing how this fountain sits below street level and is surrounded by large buildings.:

00001_s_9aeu76nwm0001.jpeg.9262e8026f3385b60362429101d4a202.jpeg

19 hours ago, clo said:

I was just talking to a pharmacist friend yesterday. He had the same experience we did. We made an appointment for the following day. Drive through. And had the results back in just under 48 hours.

Just got an e-mail this morning from my hospital as to my Covid-19 testing results from yesterday.  I did a log-on to their web portal and saw the results.  It said: "SARS-CoV-2    Not Detected" with these added details and disclaimers: "This test was performed under the FDA's Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). Testing was performed using the Simplexa SARS-CoV-2 assay (Diasorin Molecular LLC) on the Liaison MDX platform. This test has not been approved for use in asymptomatic patients and its performance in this patient population has not been evaluated. Negative results do not rule out the presence of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19."

The good news?  Results came back in less than 23 hours from when I had the test.  Second, I do not have Covid.  BUT, all of the "small print" follow-up items/details seem like the lawyers are out-of-control with their disclaimers and possible exceptions, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Terry, happy to know everything is good!🙂👍

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes for Bob.  COVID makes the whole thing so much more stressful since I will have to drop him off at the hospital.  I can't go in, and I have no reassurance that anyone will call me on a timely basis.  I have been known to be a "control freak", but I guess this time, I'll just have to relinquish control.

2 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes for Bob.  COVID makes the whole thing so much more stressful since I will have to drop him off at the hospital.  I can't go in, and I have no reassurance that anyone will call me on a timely basis.  I have been known to be a "control freak", but I guess this time, I'll just have to relinquish control.

Sending you and Bob all my best wishes too.  Yes, the virus has totally affected everything!  It controls us.........not 

vice versa. Now, if things were done differently way back at the start? Maybe we would be looking at things differently.

Anyway, hoping all goes well for you both!

3 hours ago, mysty said:

clo...it's a Mustache.  🙂

Learned something new!

Thanks Lois.  I know you have had your share of doctor's visits recently so you certainly understand the frustration.

Thinking of you, Emtsbam, and Bob, of course. Wishing you the very best at this difficult time.