Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

25 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

access surgeons at Hopkins for this!

Surgeons to take the sample? I'm truly astounded. The young who 'did' me was a college student with no medical background but was trained. I doubt that a surgeon would be able to do a good job or would even be willing. SO far below his pay grade.

49 minutes ago, clo said:

Surgeons to take the sample? I'm truly astounded. The young who 'did' me was a college student with no medical background but was trained. I doubt that a surgeon would be able to do a good job or would even be willing. SO far below his pay grade.

The covid test was done by a nurse.  The surgery will be by a surgeon.  Sorry to confuse you.  

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hello Jeff  First - how good to hear from you again. 

In my teens my first boy friend introduced me to jazz - starting with Jelly Roll Morton!  We went to a few concerts in Liverpool to see Mick Mulligan with George Melly, when he was young.  Lola

YES!!  Always good to see and learn from Jeff's posts.  Keep 'em coming!!

As to JAZZ, agree strongly as a long-time and active fan for such live performances.  Missed this summer our Columbus Jazz Orchestra doing its outdoor programs at our local zoo at its waterside location.  They call it "JazZoo"!!  Cute naming.   Plus, have enjoyed the other outdoor and indoor programs that they do so very well.  They bring in guest artists and in recent years they have featured one of the Staple family members and Maurice Hines who starred with his brother, Gregory, in The Cotton Club movie.  This outstanding jazz group is led by Byron Stripling, former lead trumpeter for the Count Basie Orchestra.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,744 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From earlier summers when we could attend such musical programs, here is the Columbus Jazz Orchestra adding zest to our lives.  Love the jazz!!  Need, in my opinion, to be there in person to appreciate fully this great form of music.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TC3_0786.jpeg.0127020a805077343c2af2c286195e41.jpeg

TC3_0618.jpeg.9f9193df57a522888d9bccf19ee234c7.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

The covid test was done by a nurse.  The surgery will be by a surgeon.  Sorry to confuse you.  

Thanks. I'm even surprised that it was done by a nurse rather than someone from the lab. But at least not a doctor. Take care.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I guess that would depend on your pain tolerance?.......it has been at least 2 or 3 years since I had it done and I can't remember exactly.  I think I needed pain pills but it was not "terrible".   I just know I sat in my lazy boy most of the the time and either watched tv/movies and/ or napped for at least the first few days.

Appreciate these comments, background and follow-up by Lois as to the post kidney procedure likely expectations.  Helpful prep and insights.  Will have some pain pills in case they are needed.  Others have suggestions and experiences to share?

My Covid-19 test Friday was done by a Registered Nurse.  

On 9/12/2020 at 3:24 PM, TLCOhio said:

Sounds like our Bath/UK friend was born around 1956.  You are YOUNG!!  Right?  My birth was in late 1947.  My view?  I'm still "Middle Aged"!!??  My first trip to Europe was in December 1970, spending nearly a whole month using the Europe rail pass to visit France, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, Austria and italy.  Was there to attend a wedding in Rome.   Below are just a few pictures as proof and evidence from that first Europe adventure!  Rome is a busy, congested, noisy city, but amazing with its history, food and culture.  

WOW!!  Stem cell transplants sounds challenging.  Glad you are doing better and being active these days.  Keep up the great participation at the Cooler and on these CC Boards.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,063 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From December 1970, here are two examples of the spectacular exterior of and around St. Peter’s.  First is the front with one of the spectacular fountains in the foreground from my 1970 visit.  Notice the older cars?  Second is a “high shot” from being young and able to climb to the top of the dome.   St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, holding 60,000 people.  It was “built to impress” and does.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

00004_s_9aeu76nwm0004.jpeg.0dffb8d3f31ceba60efe3edbbea0b000.jpeg

00003_s_9aeu76nwm0003.jpeg.98b328aa0b1e890c9063b7911bcc4242.jpeg

Trevi Fountain might be Rome’s most celebrated fountain and one of world’s most famous.  It took about 30 years to build (from 1732 to 1762) and depicts Neptune, the god of the sea.  Visitors toss coins into the water in hopes to guarantee a return to Rome. It worked for me.  Have returned to Rome twice since 1970. This picture shows its large front, but I have another showing how this fountain sits below street level and is surrounded by large buildings.:

00001_s_9aeu76nwm0001.jpeg.9262e8026f3385b60362429101d4a202.jpeg

Hi Terry yes I was born 1956!! Nice to be called younge!!! I'm the youngest of 6!!!

My oldest sister being 10 years older ,then other siblings one year apart another sister ( twin brothers inbetween ) then my other brother 5 years older then me  ..he didn't take my welcome into the family very well..long story ...bleach ambulance need I say more...we all love to travel but it's mostly my oldest sister & one of my twin brothers that cruise together the most along with my husband's brother & wife ..I find your posts ( as I do from most people who contribute to this thread very interesting & funny  I'm still quite a beginner...you all seem to know each other very welll ..sending you lots of positive vibes for your surgery ...

Keep well& safe... X

On 9/12/2020 at 12:53 AM, Emtbsam said:

Lvshack - I posted about selling a house to Travis P.  Where do your friends live?  

On another note, Bob will be having a COVID test on Sunday at a drive through site in preparation for a PET scan and a big surgery on Tuesday.  Fingers crossed!

Hi emtbsam.. yes you did reply on Travis .p ( all UK people were not talking about Travis Perkins lol ...)the people who we know live in Davidsonville &another  couple Stevensville

..wishing all the best for Bob .what ever his surgery is ... I've been through a lot since 2013 but always been positive and always look forward to my next holiday be it cruise or land based...sending big positive vibes to all  out there going through different journeys at this time  x

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, mysty said:

Lvshack, we are all in the same boat (and wishing we were on a ship).  The requirements for keeping ourselves safe are beginning to wear holes in our souls.  It is a trying time.  People are coping as best they can.  Tiny moments that distract us from what are now daily frustrations are the things we cling to.  Enjoy your tipple!  ☺️

Hi mysty your posts along with many others do raise a chuckle...

I may have mentioned before that my husband has family in Canada..I know it's a large country.they live in Estevan Saskatchewan... Anywhere close to you ???!!!

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

Hi mysty your posts along with many others do raise a chuckle...

I may have mentioned before that my husband has family in Canada..I know it's a large country.they live in Estevan Saskatchewan... Anywhere close to you ???!!!

Estevan is about 27 hours by car west of us.

Capture.JPG.6aa72fa4a8db7d518794f747645f88c4.JPG

And yes, Canada is big.  😄

13 minutes ago, mysty said:

"Yes, the land area of Canada is bigger than that of the United States. ... Canada occupies a total area of about 3,855,100 sq miles making it the second biggest nation in the world while the United States occupies an area of approximately 3,796,742 sq miles. Canada has a longer coastline than the United States.May 6, 2019"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

Estevan is about 27 hours by car west of 

u

Omg !! Please excuse my ignorance to the size of your country...27 hours ...we can do top to bottom of UK in 874 miles.. not done it but I believe it's 12 hours !!!

How little we are ...little but beautiful..never been to Canada but it's on  list ( don't use the word bucket list ..to close to home for me ...

Thanks for your reply 😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

"Yes, the land area of Canada is bigger than that of the United States. ... Canada occupies a total area of about 3,855,100 sq miles making it the second biggest nation in the world while the United States occupies an area of approximately 3,796,742 sq miles. Canada has a longer coastline than the United States.May 6, 2019"

Well like I have said in few of my posts I'm not up to speed on all your knowledge 

But do appreciate all your expert knowledge.. wish I had paid more attention at school..

Thanks for your input clo .. I'm quite good company though 😉 x

• Like 1

Just now, Lvshack said:

Well like I have said in few of my posts I'm not up to speed on all your knowledge 

But do appreciate all your expert knowledge.. wish I had paid more attention at school..

Thanks for your input clo .. I'm quite good company though 😉 x

LOL. I'm terrible at geography but google is my best friend. And I've only done a tiny bit of Western Canada. If they ever let us back in again we want to do lots more. Especially if we don't don't cruise or fly again. We have a little motor home.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL. I'm terrible at geography but google is my best friend. And I've only done a tiny bit of Western Canada. If they ever let us back in again we want to do lots more. Especially if we don't don't cruise or fly again. We have a little motor home.

Oh you little cheat... And hears me thinking how your all so

knowledgeable ( have I spelt that right??) I'm maybe I'm not that dim ...

🤔🤗😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

Oh you little cheat... And hears me thinking how your all so

knowledgeable ( have I spelt that right??) I'm maybe I'm not that dim ...

🤔🤗😉

I'm smart enough to know that I'm ignorant about a lot of geography. If I haven't been there - and there's lots of the US I haven't been there - I'm generally clueless.  BTW we've been to Bath and I'll always remember that a place where we had dinner played The Carpenters constantly 🙂

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

While many people in the UK are complaining that they cannot get a Covid test, or are told to drive many hundreds of miles to a test centre, our own personal situation is strikingly different.  I think Mrs Fletcher and I are highly unlikely to catch the virus because of our lifestyle and because of the remote location where we live.  But somehow my wife's name came up on a research programme and both of us have been offered weekly tests for a month and then monthly tests for a further three months.  On each occasion a member of the research team will visit our house and give us the testing kit and take it away for immediate analysis.  And not only that, we are being paid £50 for the first test and £25 for each subsequent test.  We can quit the programme at any time.  I must say, I feel slightly guilty about this but it's a mad world right now.

And did anyone see the David Attenborough programme last night?  Talk about depressing.  It made me feel ashamed to be a member of the human race.

Hi Fletcher   Haven't seen the programme yet - need to watch the recording - but  I am beginning to feel a bit ashamed of being a member of the English race:  how about the latest idiocy.   Official announcement on Friday that from Monday no groups of more than 6 to congregate.  Result - large groups of mainly young people making the most of their last weekend to go out and party and drink.  Red rags and bulls comes to mind.   One of them even said in an interview on Saturday the blindingly obvious fact that it should have been with immediate effect.

Apologies for rant - feeling pretty annoyed.  I think  I need a bit of Jeff's jazz to calm me down.

Lola

P.S.  I hope this does not count as political.

• Thanks 1

Totally agree with your rant,please do not apologise it is those making such stupid rules that cannot be enforced due to lack of Police numbers and the fact that they are fully employed with other serious crimes that should be apologising Definitely not Political mere common sense.