Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Found a new gin to try. Empress 1908. It's a great match with elderflower tonic. And the freshly-picked Meyer lemon.

4 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

JP, sorry we did not tell you about the Empress gin...

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I can't believe that it's a week until November, and I'm still eating tomatoes from the garden.

Looks like I have a new gin to put on my shopping list.  Between learning about Nolet’s Silver and Hendrick’s Midsummer Solstice on this forum, a third one would be quite a trifecta.

JP, is that basil also from your garden?  We lost ours with that crazy late summer freeze on Sep. 8th.  All of our other herbs made it through and I transplanted them all last Thursday after building a shelf in the garage to see if I can keep them going all winter long.

AC79F4D6-5B89-4432-B1AB-52BAE6F3EF7E.jpeg

Edited by Stumblefoot
5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

JP, is that basil also from your garden?  We lost ours with that crazy late summer freeze on Sep. 8th.  All of our other herbs made it through and I transplanted them all last Thursday after building a shelf in the garage to see if I can keep them going all winter long.

It is still growing though it's getting unhappy with the cold nights. We've had at least two where it got down to about 33F so definitely close to frost. The other herbs are still doing pretty well.

Nice arrangement in the garage. I'd like to bring some inside but I don't have room in the sunroom with all of the citrus trees! So we'll use what we can and replant in the spring.

1 hour ago, zqtchas said:

no empress gin around here.

I bruised some rosemary in a bottle of plain gin for @ 10 days.

I thought it tasted pretty good in a g&t and also in a martini.

just saying.

As long as the bottle isn't plastic. 😉

Like Spins' posting about returning to "FACTORY SETTINGS"!  Needing "normal" sooner, but not sure that will be happening quickly.  Covid number here, in Europe, etc., keep going up, UP!!  

Did get an electronic message this morning about my MRI from last week.  In part, they summarized: "Gradient echo shows no acute intracranial hemorrhage. Midline structures are satisfactory. The craniocervical junction is in limits of normal."  Also: "no evidence of vestibular schwannoma".  As an amateur (and with my RN wife's help), I think it mean there is some traces of brain matter, kind of, in my skull and that things are not too badly screwed up there.  Right guessing/summary?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1449172772_ScreenShot2020-10-26at11_44_55AM.png.7f86628c8da29ec6aa57b714673c9b4b.png

894299885_ScreenShot2020-10-26at11_45_12AM.thumb.png.a1209f30308b20a80cd53a6a0c2000bf.png

6 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Did get an electronic message this morning about my MRI from last week.  In part, they summarized: "Gradient echo shows no acute intracranial hemorrhage. Midline structures are satisfactory. The craniocervical junction is in limits of normal."  Also: "no evidence of vestibular schwannoma".  As an amateur (and with my RN wife's help), I think it mean there is some traces of brain matter, kind of, in my skull and that things are not too badly screwed up there.  Right guessing/summary?

Glad everything turned out OK. But oddly enough, nothing in your post about the MRI findings actually mentions brain tissue higher than the brainstem. I'm sure you have a cortex, but you left that part out!

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Glad everything turned out OK. But oddly enough, nothing in your post about the MRI findings actually mentions brain tissue higher than the brainstem. I'm sure you have a cortex, but you left that part out!

Appreciate this great, fun "HEADS UP" from the smart and savvy J.P.  Will have to check more to find out what all is in that "vast wasteland" of my brain cavity.  Inquiring minds want to know more??!!

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,160 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Terry - belated happy birthday - and,  good you don't have a 'vestibular schwannoma' - sounds worse than it is,  I should know, having had one diagnosed 30 years ago.  Not the end of the world, because benign, and one advantage of age is things are very slow growing!  Usual  main problem is deafness in one ear,  which is not helped, dare I say, by everyone wearing masks!

I guess it is due to the weather in spring and summer, but we have the most beautiful 'fall' leaves this year, even our garden competes with  the USA and Canada.  Though it would have been nice to have been on a cruise in your part of the world about now.

Lola

Our spring has been wet and cold this year. Our bulbs have finished and it’s time to put in the summer annuals but the weather isn’t cooperating. The wind hasn’t let up. 

Great news for our state and especially Melbourne With 2 days of no new COVID-19 cases and no deaths. 
The pubs and restaurants that have been shut for  at least 6 weeks, most for 12 weeks,  are opening with limited numbers. Non essential shops will also open after weeks of shutdown. 
They had night curfews, only leaving the house for supermarket shopping, exercise outside for 1 hour and a 5 km from house limit.  No visitors, Home schooling, no gyms, pools, golf courses open.
All worth it now, but very difficult.  Now other states may open their borders to us and we can travel interstate. 
I’m in a regional area so after an initial lockdown the restrictions were eased and we have had much more freedom. There is still a ban on people travelling out of Melbourne and it will be wonderful when it is lifted and we can see our family.  House Party and Zoom just aren’t the same, although we did have a wonderful zoom Birthday dinner for my husband on Friday.  Ordered 3 meals from a great restaurant and finished the cooking together before sitting chatting online for a few hours.
My husband and I finished a bottle of Riesling and  a bottle of Pinot Noir!! Just slipped down!!🤫

Bob’s surgeon initially thought that he had an unusual presentation of a Schwannoma, but the biopsy determined that is was a meningioma, also an uncommon presentation.  In any event, he continues to improve and is way ahead of anything that was expected.

We feel so lucky to have come through this and now I can look forward to blowing leaves this week and next!  At least I can blow them into the woods and do not have to bag them.

Good morning friends, hope all of you who are here in the states remember to vote!  Early voting is exploding! 

Over 60 million people have voted and we still 7 days to go.....(thank Goodness)!!!!!! Looks like it may be the

largest voter turnout (total) in many, many, MANY elections!!!!!!! 

18 hours ago, lincslady said:

Terry - belated happy birthday - and,  good you don't have a 'vestibular schwannoma' - sounds worse than it is,  I should know, having had one diagnosed 30 years ago.  Not the end of the world, because benign, and one advantage of age is things are very slow growing!  Usual  main problem is deafness in one ear,  which is not helped, dare I say, by everyone wearing masks!  Lola

Appreciate Lola's kind follow-up.  For me, I had never previously heard of "vestibular schwannoma".  Kind of, maybe, interesting to be learning new things??!!  Great updating by Emtbsam.  Wonderful to know that Bob is progressing well.  

1905621691_ScreenShot2020-10-27at9_21_19AM.thumb.png.a1bba4c0dbc5cf1cfbb3eb169749cc8a.png

705149281_ScreenShot2020-10-27at9_22_06AM.png.a6fdfaf9ea3ce5b14efa651419f0c198.png