Salmon served on Alaska cruises

Moriah

HAL and Princess both try and get local Alaskan Salmon when in Alaska. Farm taised salmon (on the west coast) is usually Atlantic Salmon.

I've seen a truck load of fresh seafood being delivered in Juneau and Ketchican.

Oh, good to know, thank you!

Well I don't know where it came from but for what it's worth on our HAL Alaska sail several years ago they had a wonderful outdoor buffet/BBQ with whole salmon, lovely bloody Mary's and many other choices. It was at lunch time, I think the day we went into Victoria late in the afternoon or maybe a sea day. It was very nice!

FYI - frozen fish is also transported and sold via fresh fish trucks. I grew up in Maine and our family had a fish/lobster company. When I didn’t have to work lobster pots I made deliveries in our truck which included frozen and fresh fish/lobsters.

FYI - frozen fish is also transported and sold via fresh fish trucks. I grew up in Maine and our family had a fish/lobster company. When I didn’t have to work lobster pots I made deliveries in our truck which included frozen and fresh fish/lobsters.

Your correct. Cruises are in Alaska during Salmon season. Halibut is usually frozen when brought omboard.

It wasn't Alaska, but on my last cruise in Canada/New England, the Maine lobstermen told me that HAL had made a commitment to purchase local, fresh seafood as often as feasible. Now that could mean fresh frozen, frozen on the (fishing) boat, or fresh, never frozen seafood.

In a Q&A session, the ship's officers responded that yes, they did have a commitment to purchasing local seafood. The impression was that the commitment was more than just on the Canada/New England itineraries. So while I can't say for sure, I would think that HAL would purchase local seafood wherever possible, including the Pacific/Alaska itineraries.

From other sources here on Cruise Critic, all "protein" must be frozen. It can't come on board "fresh".

Doesn't mean it can't be Alaskan fresh, wild caught. But it has to be frozen. Have seen salmon brought on in Alaska (long time ago) and Norway (more recently). Frozen solid.

From other sources here on Cruise Critic, all "protein" must be frozen. It can't come on board "fresh".

Doesn't mean it can't be Alaskan fresh, wild caught. But it has to be frozen. Have seen salmon brought on in Alaska (long time ago) and Norway (more recently). Frozen solid.

Protein means beef , pork , lamb and chicken as well.The head chief sain most of the meat is brought on fresh,].

This has not been my experience. Several times in Bar Harbor, we have come back on the tenders with live lobsters for that night's dinner. If they were frozen, it was the most unique form of frozen I've ever seen, as they were moving.

IQF (individual quick frozen) is a process that is used for fish and most people (myself included) cannot taste the difference from fresh. I will add that with the sweet meat of Maine lobster claws when chucked and IQF’d you can taste the difference.

I have enjoyed most of the fish that I’ve had onboard HAL. Not a big fan of the lobster tail in the Tamarind I do love all the rest of their dishes.

• 1 month later...
Sadly it was farmed Atlantic Salmon that was served on our recent Mariners' lunch.

It was a far cry with taste from the fresh Sockeye I had before I left.

Tom

Never have seen farmed salmon served on a cruise. The only farmer Atlantic was Gravlac at breakfast.

We have done over 30 cruises on four different cruise lines.

Sadly it was farmed Atlantic Salmon that was served on our recent Mariners' lunch.

It was a far cry with taste from the fresh Sockeye I had before I left.

Tom

We had King Salmon at our Mariners lunch in August, I don’t care if it was fresh or frozen. It was perfectly cooked and delicious! The best Mariners lunch I have attended. I was so glad I selected the salmon!