Balcony door open

JimJ54

IS it OK to leave the balcony door open at night to get the fresh sea air while you sleep?

No...not really as it can affect the air conditioning system. I believe yours will shut off and apparently this affects those cabins around you or so I've read in some posts about this subject.

I think it depends on the ship and you should enquire with the company you are sailing. I sailed on a ship that had a lock to keep the balcony door open in rough seas and we had instances where the staff saw our open door and no one admonished us for anything. I know people get really passionate about this topic but I really don't think there is a one size fits all rule. Just check with the cruise company is probably best.

IS it OK to leave the balcony door open at night to get the fresh sea air while you sleep?

The replies before me have mentioned that the answer is no, and I just wanted to add that I would much rather have the door closed and the air conditioning on in the Caribbean. It is hot and muggy and not fun to sleep when you are sweating. :o You'll be much more comfortable at night with the A/C on and the door closed.

The replies before me have mentioned that the answer is no, and I just wanted to add that I would much rather have the door closed and the air conditioning on in the Caribbean. It is hot and muggy and not fun to sleep when you are sweating. :o You'll be much more comfortable at night with the A/C on and the door closed.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please read the information provided with the link given by Bob in his post #4.

In case you don't the summary is that there are more than one stateroom connected to the same are exchange system so if one room's temperature is raised by having a balcony door open - which is what would happen - other staterooms are affected similarly. This is not considerate to those in those staterooms.

Additionally, having a balcony door open affects the pressure balance created by the air exchange system so that when you open the door to the hallway the difference in room air pressure will create wind inside the stateroom that will blow everything loose around and force the door to slam loudly - and dangerously - shut.

So please do not leave your balcony door open.

If it's important to you to have fresh sea air while you're sleeping, bring a sleeping bag and sleep on your balcony. That way, you won't have to have your balcony door blocked open, and you won't be effecting the A/C system.

If it's important to you to have fresh sea air while you're sleeping, bring a sleeping bag and sleep on your balcony. That way, you won't have to have your balcony door blocked open, and you won't be effecting the A/C system.

Good idea.

OP can sleep in a chair on the balcony.

Leaving your balcony door open is simply selfish! The A/C system on ships are closed systems set-up by zones. Leaving your balcony door open will negatively impact and entire zone (or section of the ship) and may subject dozens of other passengers to warm humid air or possibly very cold air (if cruising in a cold climate)..

Hank

If it is 40 degrees outside, how will leaving the balcony door open affect the AC system?

I can see it if it is 100 degrees outside.

Maybe I just lack common sense?

When its 40 outside, what do you think keeps the inside of the ship at a higher more comfortable temperature? We live in a part of the country where it does get quite cold in the winter (well below 40) and you can trust me that not many folks leave their doors open during cold weather.

Hank

When its 40 outside, what do you think keeps the inside of the ship at a higher more comfortable temperature?

Hank

So, if I leave the balcony door open when the outside temperature is 40 degrees, it will have no effect on the AC system?

How about if it is 50 degrees? or 60 degrees? or 65 degrees?

My point is that sometimes having the balcony door open HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER ON THE AC SYSTEM.

So, if I leave the balcony door open when the outside temperature is 40 degrees, it will have no effect on the AC system?

How about if it is 50 degrees? or 60 degrees? or 65 degrees?

My point is that sometimes having the balcony door open HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER ON THE AC SYSTEM.

For there to be “...ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER...” the in cabin thermostat would have to be set precisely to the outside temperature; which is, of course, theoretically possible - but sufficiently unlikely to make ignoring the request to keep balcony door closed a tad anti-social.

For there to be “...ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER...” the in cabin thermostat would have to be set precisely to the outside temperature;

My understanding of AC systems is that if you have the thermostat set to 70 degrees, and the outside temperature is less than 70 degrees, the AC system will remain OFF.

My understanding of AC systems is that if you have the thermostat set to 70 degrees, and the outside temperature is less than 70 degrees, the AC system will remain OFF.

Going to the link provided in post #4. The second part of the Chief's explanation tells why the balcony doors should be closed.

It has less to do with temperature control in the individual cabin.

Open balcony doors affects the fresh air exchange by making the ventilation system work harder trying to balance out the air exchange not just for the one, but the other cabins within its section. While trying to balance out the pressure in the cabin with the open door, the other cabins are being "over" pressurized.

Of course ship's HVAC design rules.

The ship's HVAC system is more complicated than land based systems.

I did not intend to spark such debate. I thought it was a simple question by a novice cruiser.

Please read the information provided with the link given by Bob in his post #4. This explains it all.

Thank you

I did not intend to spark such debate. I thought it was a simple question by a novice cruiser.

Please read the information provided with the link given by Bob in his post #4. This explains it all.

Thank you

There isn’t a question you can ask on here that will not spark a debate.

Is the sky blue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you

Nah, it's OK. Some people repeat the information and it seems like it gets said over and over again, because they reply without reading the entire thread. It happens a lot here, even after OP (you - the "original poster") comes back and says Thank You and thinks that's the end of it, some people just keep going and going..... ;)

Have a fun cruise. :)

In a slightly different vein, don't believe anyone has mentioned that an open door is an invitation for various flying "things" (someone had a bat fly in once) to come in and make your stateroom home. Quite a fun surprise to find when you wake up.

Nah, it's OK. Some people repeat the information and it seems like it gets said over and over again, because they reply without reading the entire thread. It happens a lot here, even after OP (you - the "original poster") comes back and says Thank You and thinks that's the end of it, some people just keep going and going..... ;)

Have a fun cruise. :)

There have been the random posts where this has happened and someone comes in and replies contrary to the majority, not bothering to have read the responses between the OP's question and the last reply. Those can either be humorous or makes you scratch your head......