Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
san diego spartan

Beverage Package Drink Limit

Recommended Posts

Question if you are a 4 star mariner, is it worth it to get a beverage package?as 4 star gets 50 % discount on coffees and wine packages.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now that is interesting. We never got any receipts on our last cruise. It was the first time we had Explore4 on one segment.

 

Jacqui,

Just off the Zaandam two-week with SBP (Ex4) -- got receipts for all drinks except maybe not Pellegrino/cappucino in the MDR.

 

dr'spin and I filled a 9x12" manila envelope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Question if you are a 4 star mariner, is it worth it to get a beverage package?as 4 star gets 50 % discount on coffees and wine packages.

 

That would require some arithmetic! If you like to drink wine over "boat drinks" and cordials, probably not (without doing any calculations I admit). If you like liqueurs and mixed drinks, then being 4* has way less effect, I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Question if you are a 4 star mariner, is it worth it to get a beverage package?as 4 star gets 50 % discount on coffees and wine packages.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends what you drink. You can save a fair amount of money with the happy hour and wine packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Question if you are a 4 star mariner, is it worth it to get a beverage package?as 4 star gets 50 % discount on coffees and wine packages.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

 

 

It all depends...........

If you don't have a lot of ship board credit -- there may be wines on one of the packages that you like -- getting 50% off the package.

Now if you have a TON of shipboard credit like we had a couple of times -- there were a couple of wines not on any wine package that we liked and bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We go with the Elite package, not necessarily because I think it saves us money, but because I like the freedom to try different drinks outside of my comfort zone, and because I like pre-paying and not having unknown costs at the end of the cruise.

 

The Elite package is worth the extra, over the Signature package, for us. We like to have glasses of wine with dinner, and the Elite has more choices. I also like some of the signature cocktails that go over the limit of the Signature package.

 

We order pretty liberally, and haven't ever exceeded the 15 limit. To answer your direct question, if you had a day where you were close to the limit, you could always purchase your smaller ticket out of pocket (ie pay for a bottle of water or latte), and save your 15 count for higher cost items. I'm not sure if your daily total shows on your receipts or not, as you go along with the day, but any server can tell you if you ask.

 

As I said, I've never felt limited at all by the 15, and we do order quite a bit. It's more likely we dont hit the limit (the breakeven point between getting the package or not is somewhere around 6-7 drinks, depending on what you order). We've had very helpful servers try to help us maximize the package. For example, a wine steward in Canaletto noticed on the last night of the cruise we had like 6 drinks left, and she gave us 6 HAL shot glasses. The Lemoncello came with a HAL souvenir glass - we couldn't possibly drink that much, so she just gave us the glasses.

 

A typical day of drink count for us on the Elite package would be:

 

-A few cocktails by the pool during the afternoon

-An iced coffee drink late afternoon from Explorations cafe

-A pre-dinner cocktail or two at the Ocean Bar or Pinnacle Bar

-A glass of sparkling wine to start dinner

-A bottle of Pelligrino with dinner

-A glass or two of wine with dinner

-An after dinner drink, like port with dessert, or maybe Lemoncello

-Maybe a cocktail at the show, or listening to music

 

That would be a full day, and as you can see that's not even close to the 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was recently a post w a video and gentleman did about this topic. I can’t seem to find it. Anyone have the link!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Re: Questions for Guests Currently Booked
Yahoo/Holland America 2019
  • I just received this from Holland America Customer Service regarding the 15 drink limit. It seems like there is no consistent answer to this question? I guess we will find out when we are onboard.
     
    Re: Questions for Guests Currently Booked 
    Yahoo/Holland America 2019
    • Hal Res <Hal_Reservations@hollandamerica.com>
      To:########@yahoo.com.au
      Mar 19 at 11:46 AM

      Dear ###,

      Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We apologize that an unexpected increase in email inquiries resulted in a delayed response time.

      Both alcoholic and non-alcohic beverages count toward the daily limit of 15 for the Signature or Signature Elite beverage packages. So, for example: if you ordered 14 bottled waters in one day, you could have only 1 complimentary alcoholic drink that same day. Further drinks/beverages on the same day would be charged to your room's account in full.

      Thank you for contacting Holland America Line. Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online.   We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

      Kind Regards,

      Lisa
      Holland America Line
      U.S. and Canada: 877-724-5425
      International: 206-286-3900
      Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST
      Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST

      Savor The Journey

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bret2010 said:

I just received this from Holland America Customer Service regarding the 15 drink limit. It seems like there is no consistent answer to this question? I guess we will find out when we are onboard.

Why am I not surprised...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bret2010

 

I recently read the website description of the SBP and it is no longer ambiguous but states the same as Lisa told you. All paid drinks are counted against the 15/day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

@Bret2010

 

I recently read the website description of the SBP and it is no longer ambiguous but states the same as Lisa told you. All paid drinks are counted against the 15/day.

Negative.

 

ONLY alcoholic drinks are counted for the 15 drink limit.

Non alcoholic drinks are unlimited, as confirmed hy HAL several times and by all who report back from their cruise experience.

 

”lisa” from HAL is not correct, which does not surprise me, but onboard, you will not be limited in the amount of non alcoholic drinks.

Edited by Despegue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dated 08/03/19 and originally posted by another contributor on another thread, this official HAL policy regarding Beverage Packages.

 

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.  The following beverages are included in the price of your cruise fare: juice, milk, tea, and regular, or decaf drip coffee.  Specialty coffee drinks, cappuccinos, alcohol and soda are additional expenses that will be billed to your on board account.

 

Our Signature Beverage Package is a convenient, affordable beverage package that allows guests to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) and coffee. Our Signature Beverage Package is limited to 15 drinks per day with unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. This includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower menu price and does not include beverages in your mini-bar, in-room dining, chocolate seduction and on the Half Moon Cay. 

 

The Signature Beverage Package can be purchased pre-cruise at a rate of $51.69 per person per day ($44.95 + 15% service charge) or on board at a rate of $57.44 per person per day ($49.95 + 15% service charge). This must be purchased for the full duration of the voyage and all guests over the age of 21 years in the stateroom must purchase the package; this is available for purchase on days one and two of any respective voyage.

 

Our Signature Beverage Packages include the 15% services charge. No additional charge is applied to the guest’s onboard account for drinks ordered within the terms and conditions of the package.

 

Holland America Line also offers our Elite Beverage Package. Guests can enjoy beverages including wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages; limited to 15 drinks per day and unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. This includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower menu price and does not include beverages in your mini-bar, in-room dining, chocolate seduction and on the Half Moon Cay. This also includes access to the Freestyle soda machine on the ms Koningsdam and the ms Nieuw Statendam only. This package must be purchased for the full duration of the voyage and all guests over the age of 21 years in the stateroom must purchase the package; this is available for purchase on days one and two of any respective voyage.

 

Participants may order only one drink at a time; no sharing of the packages are permitted. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers. 

 

If you decide that the Signature Beverage Package doesn't provide adequate beverage options, you have the option of upgrading from promotional Signature beverage package to the Elite beverage package. The can be done on board the ship on the first day of the cruise by paying the difference in cost. All guests in the stateroom who are 21 years old must also upgrade the package. 

 

Guests can also pre-purchase soda fountain cards, Explorations Café coffee cards, house pouring wine cards or signature cocktail cards.  You may also bring soda or bottled water onboard for consumption in your stateroom.  

 

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online.   We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

 

Kind Regards,

 

Philip

Holland America Line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Despegue said:

Dated 08/03/19 and originally posted by another contributor on another thread, this official HAL policy regarding Beverage Packages.

 

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.  The following beverages are included in the price of your cruise fare: juice, milk, tea, and regular, or decaf drip coffee.  Specialty coffee drinks, cappuccinos, alcohol and soda are additional expenses that will be billed to your on board account.

 

Our Signature Beverage Package is a convenient, affordable beverage package that allows guests to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) and coffee. Our Signature Beverage Package is limited to 15 drinks per day with unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. This includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower menu price and does not include beverages in your mini-bar, in-room dining, chocolate seduction and on the Half Moon Cay. 

 

The Signature Beverage Package can be purchased pre-cruise at a rate of $51.69 per person per day ($44.95 + 15% service charge) or on board at a rate of $57.44 per person per day ($49.95 + 15% service charge). This must be purchased for the full duration of the voyage and all guests over the age of 21 years in the stateroom must purchase the package; this is available for purchase on days one and two of any respective voyage.

 

Our Signature Beverage Packages include the 15% services charge. No additional charge is applied to the guest’s onboard account for drinks ordered within the terms and conditions of the package.

 

Holland America Line also offers our Elite Beverage Package. Guests can enjoy beverages including wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages; limited to 15 drinks per day and unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. This includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower menu price and does not include beverages in your mini-bar, in-room dining, chocolate seduction and on the Half Moon Cay. This also includes access to the Freestyle soda machine on the ms Koningsdam and the ms Nieuw Statendam only. This package must be purchased for the full duration of the voyage and all guests over the age of 21 years in the stateroom must purchase the package; this is available for purchase on days one and two of any respective voyage.

 

Participants may order only one drink at a time; no sharing of the packages are permitted. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers. 

 

If you decide that the Signature Beverage Package doesn't provide adequate beverage options, you have the option of upgrading from promotional Signature beverage package to the Elite beverage package. The can be done on board the ship on the first day of the cruise by paying the difference in cost. All guests in the stateroom who are 21 years old must also upgrade the package. 

 

Guests can also pre-purchase soda fountain cards, Explorations Café coffee cards, house pouring wine cards or signature cocktail cards.  You may also bring soda or bottled water onboard for consumption in your stateroom.  

 

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online.   We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

 

Kind Regards,

 

Philip

Holland America Line

Thank you!  I am printing it up and bringing it with me on NS this Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bret2010 said:
Re: Questions for Guests Currently Booked
Yahoo/Holland America 2019
 
  • I just received this from Holland America Customer Service regarding the 15 drink limit. It seems like there is no consistent answer to this question? I guess we will find out when we are onboard.
     
    Re: Questions for Guests Currently Booked 
    Yahoo/Holland America 2019
     
    •  
      Hal Res <Hal_Reservations@hollandamerica.com>
      To:########@yahoo.com.au
       
      Mar 19 at 11:46 AM
       

      Dear ###,

      Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We apologize that an unexpected increase in email inquiries resulted in a delayed response time.

      Both alcoholic and non-alcohic beverages count toward the daily limit of 15 for the Signature or Signature Elite beverage packages. So, for example: if you ordered 14 bottled waters in one day, you could have only 1 complimentary alcoholic drink that same day. Further drinks/beverages on the same day would be charged to your room's account in full.

      Thank you for contacting Holland America Line. Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online.   We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

      Kind Regards,

      Lisa
      Holland America Line
      U.S. and Canada: 877-724-5425
      International: 206-286-3900
      Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST
      Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST

      Savor The Journey

     
     

I would email lisa back and ask her to speak to Philip,  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a 17 night round trip to Hawaii from San Diego on the Eurodam. I had a Neptune Suite. I was able to get this at a great price since it was a upsell from Holland. Got it for 60% off retail. They had several available about two weeks prior.   They had a extreamly high retail mark up so that is why they were not selling.  The Neptune suites are a very poor value if you pay retail because you get very little extras in the suite besides the nice extra space.  The drink package is a scam. First the company does not seem to know what their own policy is. Second, making both people in the cabin having to purchase the exact same package is crazy if one drinks booze and one does not, which was my case.  You just do not end up buying the package.  This kind of stuff and several other issues I had on this sailing makes me put Holland on the bottom of my list for any future cruises I make.   My favorite line is actually Celebrity. They have a much more sophisticated produce with Suites that have real suite perks plus a great beverage package that everyone can get the package that works for them including if only one person wants it.  I still attempt to try other cruise lines but find many lacking what celebrity has to offer for the price.   I will say this much about Holland. They train their employees to be very friendly and service oriented.  But you need more than just that to make a great cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, movie buff said:

Second, making both people in the cabin having to purchase the exact same package is crazy if one drinks booze and one does not, which was my case.

I agree. While my DW does enjoy a drink or two and a glass of wine, it would be far cheaper for her to pay for the individual drinks. On one cruise, our TA, subsequently dropped, made a mistake and as a result we didn't receive our free beverage packages that were meant to be part of our booking perks. As a consequence, we paid for all of our drinks, kept all of the receipts and gave them to the TA for reimbursement post-cruise. When I totalled the cost, it was clear that both of us paying for our drinks was quite a bit cheaper than purchasing two beverage packages. So that's what we do now, and HAL's insistence that both buy the package results in a loss for them and a saving for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I was saying was that the CURRENT website says:

"...Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)."

 

I don't doubt that people have had other experiences. I never managed to drink more than 15 beverages, mixed between alcoholic and non, in one day to test either theory. If I manage next month, I will report back. Otherwise, have fun quibbling about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

I would email lisa back and ask her to speak to Philip,  

Have done!

 

Awaiting her reply

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

All I was saying was that the CURRENT website says:

"...Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)."

 

I don't doubt that people have had other experiences. I never managed to drink more than 15 beverages, mixed between alcoholic and non, in one day to test either theory. If I manage next month, I will report back. Otherwise, have fun quibbling about it.

The email quoted about unlimited non alcoholic drinks is the exact one i got from guest services, my nephew got the exact same one when he emailed, someone else said they got the exact same one, the one we got seems more of a pre writted auto response, there is a new beverage director someone got a response right from his that was very similarly worded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, movie buff said:

On the Westerdam as I write this. We purchased the Elite drink package. Would never do it again. The first three days we were charged full price for drinks on our account even with the drink package. Went to guest services three times to get this fixed. Finally got it fixed by day 4 of a seven night cruise. They had no Idea what caused this in the system to happen. It was a pain to continue to stand in lines three times to finally get the issue resolved. I suggest to everyone to down load the app once your on board to continue to monitor your account for mistakes. If you do not do this then you could be in for quite a shock when you see your final statement on your last morning on board and have to stand in line to fix it,

 

We have found we would have been better not having the package.

My spouse really does not drink as much as I do but was forced to buy the package too because I wanted it. I did not even come close to having15 drinks a day even with coffee and bottle water. Would have saved several hundreds of dollars by just paying as you go along. Also you then have the option to buy a much larger selections of wine buy the bottle rather than a rather small selection by the glass. I guess if you like to drink on the heavy side you might save. Keep in mind that people tend to drink a bit more at the start of the cruise and then taper off toward the end. The cruise line makes a killing in profit on these plans. They know what they are doing.

If you have the package check your account everyday!!!!!

 

Yes a few make out with the plan,  However, the majority of those who buy the plan or are forced  to buy the plan, are making a killing for the ship.     Your very, very correct  people will drink more during the first days and then slowly drink less and less and less as the days grow..    Hey, don't you think the ship has figured that out?       They offer it because they know people and they know they will win.   THey are not offering it because they are sympathetic to you and want to save you money, they are offering it to make MORE .    Think about it.

 

  Too if your cruise is a short port-port-port a day  you will take it in the shorts.    As a general consideration, the plan is not customer friendly, even to hard drinkers when you sail over 18-20 days.  Your not as young as your were at spring break....  and could take it......

I have tried it and after a few times  I  decided  the plan caused me to drink way more than I  normally would..     But thats me.

Edited by Hawaiidan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading your comment about drinking way too much more with the drink package I have to laugh at myself. When I have purchased the package it seems like I work hard to try and drink as much as possible to get my money's worth. Even so I can never even come close to the so called break even mark when you average the full length of the cruise, especially on a longer cruise.  I am 65 and keep thinking I wish they had these kinds of packages 35 years ago. They would have lost money on me. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For us we are getting the drink plan with the explore 4 plan, the difference between the same room without explorer4 was $250 so $125 per person , that gives us the SBP and the pinnacle dinner, so it was a good deal for us, our last cruise we got the quench package and would totally do that again.  We did keep checking the price right up until the final payment date 

Edited by Jareds_mommytoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...