Hotel shuttle or taxi Fort Lauderdale

pthjudy

We will be staying at a hotel before our Regal cruise in January. It is in Dania, Florida on 5th Avenue. They have a shuttle to the port for $10 pp. I think we would be better getting a taxi for convenience, time and probably cost. Any suggestions?

Last time we stayed in Dania several years ago the taxi fee was $25 for the two of us. Taxi is certainly quicker in most cases as you have to wait while they load/unload the pax and it goes at specific times. Taxi goes when you call them.

Assuming you are at the Sleep Inn near Sheridan St: a taxi will be anywhere from $18 to $25 dollars deepening on traffic.

If you take the hotel shuttle: since you will be approaching Port Everglades from the south, Terminal 2 where Regal Princess docks will probably be its last stop--and on January 13 (date you are posting on the roll call of) there are seven ships in port.

I would say a taxi is worth the likely few dollars extra. Uber or Lyft may cost even less with no meter ticking should you be stuck in traffic.

I would say a taxi is worth the likely few dollars extra. Uber or Lyft may cost even less with no meter ticking should you be stuck in traffic.

It never fails that after I spend several thousands of dollars on a cruise, airfare and excursions, I always spend way too much time comparing various ground transportation options, trying to figure out a way to save a couple of bucks. In the end, the cheapest option might save me $50 over the most expensive. So now I try my hardest to resist the temptation to overthink it and plan for a cab or an Uber. Won't much matter if my vacation costs me $5,500 instead of $5450.

Assuming you are at the Sleep Inn near Sheridan St: a taxi will be anywhere from $18 to $25 dollars deepening on traffic.

If you take the hotel shuttle: since you will be approaching Port Everglades from the south, Terminal 2 where Regal Princess docks will probably be its last stop--and on January 13 (date you are posting on the roll call of) there are seven ships in port.

We are actually on the 6th sailing too, as well as the 20th. I never thought of the number of ships in port. I do remember the traffic when we booked Embassy Suites with Princess and that was closer. I am a bit wary with Uber so probably a cab is our best option. Thanks.

It never fails that after I spend several thousands of dollars on a cruise, airfare and excursions, I always spend way too much time comparing various ground transportation options, trying to figure out a way to save a couple of bucks. In the end, the cheapest option might save me $50 over the most expensive. So now I try my hardest to resist the temptation to overthink it and plan for a cab or an Uber. Won't much matter if my vacation costs me $5,500 instead of $5450.

So true!😂

We will be staying at a hotel before our Regal cruise in January. It is in Dania, Florida on 5th Avenue. They have a shuttle to the port for $10 pp. I think we would be better getting a taxi for convenience, time and probably cost. Any suggestions?[/quote

I would do neither. I use UBER or LYFT since it’s a flat fee. That’s what I did the last time in FT Lauderdale. Easy/peasy & it’s a flat fee without the meter ticking.

Make sure that you know which pier you’re going to so they don’t go to the wrong place.

Tom😀

Doesn’t Princess include getting you to the ship in your package or are you staying at an independent hotel?

I no longer do a hotel with Princess or any cruise line. By charging per person it pretty much almost doubles the price.

Doesn’t Princess include getting you to the ship in your package or are you staying at an independent hotel?

We do not use cruise line hotel packages. In most cases they cost about twice the price of simply booking the same hotel (or better) on your own. In the case of Ft Lauderdale (my family used to live in nearby Plantation) we have our own favorite hotels and restaurant. We have also learned (the hard way) that its best to avoid the large group transfers where folks wait around hotel lobbies for their transfer, get crammed into various vehicles, etc. Simply walking out of the hotel when we are ready to go and getting into our own Uber or Lyft vehicle seems to be a much more pleasant experience.

Hank

Additionally, if you (or you cab) drive directly to terminal 2, you can avoid port security completely,

by entering from SE 17th Street.

If you're in a shuttle that goes to other berths first, you may have a delay for security entering the port.

I jist did Uber to the ship last saturday and back this morning. Way better and cheaper than shuttles. Suittles also make other stops. We did UberXl for about $20 each way. Only waited 2 min this morning at terminal 2 for pickup.

We did Uber in Feb. and it was great in Fort Lauderdale. The Uber driver was very friendly, car was clean and as there was so much traffic she had about 15 minutes or more than it should have taken, no additional fee. I think a cab would have been charging you by the time, as well as the distance and it was a zoo at the dock. We did give her a large tip, seemed only fair, as she would have been able to pick up someone else if the traffic had not been so bad we thought. So, my vote is for Uber...