cruisestitch

Vegan on Solstice ... new! Oceanview Cafe

Have not seen this before ... will try to investigate over the next few days9d2bdf03cd72129a0ee704ca971bcc37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe check what 'causal' dining is too? Does any company have proof-readers anymore or just leave it all up to spellcheck? :confused:

Enjoy your cruise, cruisestitch!

Looking forward to your description. Will you take photos? Not vegan either but can't have dairy or wheat so I'm interested in what they offer.

It has not reached The Summit, yet... oh well maybe after the dry dock...

bon voyage

What a great idea!

We are not vegan but chatted with a lady last cruise who was. She had traveled on several different cruise lines and had found Celebrity MDR so far ‘the best’ at catering for guests with specific dining needs although she said she had found advice in the buffet ‘confusing’....

I love to visit the buffet, browse and be ‘tempted’ to try something....So often guests with specific dietary needs must be in the situation of simply looking to see something suitable. Hopefully a vegan station will help address this.

Good move Solstice!

Please ask which station was eliminated to add a Vegan Station. It should be easy to find the Vegan Station, it’s the one without a line.;) Hopefully this will be a short experiment.

The Vegan section is probably the salad bar

Note to self....put coffee cup down before reading posts that make me laugh.....

Please ask which station was eliminated to add a Vegan Station. It should be easy to find the Vegan Station, it’s the one without a line.;) Hopefully this will be a short experiment.

Hopefully it is long lived! :halo:

We enjoy great food as well...

bon voyage

LOL, next to the carving station I would presume too...

bon voyage

That was my guess too. But.... maybe they've improved.

Vegan also works for those with dairy allergies so I hope that thie Vegan station quickly becomes standard across the fleet! Those who cannot eat dairy will tell you how difficult it can be as there is often hidden dairy in foods. It isn’t just a case of eliminating the obvious dairy items.

Vegan also works for those with dairy allergies so I hope that thie Vegan station quickly becomes standard across the fleet! Those who cannot eat dairy will tell you how difficult it can be as there is often hidden dairy in foods. It isn’t just a case of eliminating the obvious dairy items.

Right. I'm curios to see what kind of food will be provided. Vegan on airlines is often also an "alias" for Asian vegetarian (which is delicious as alternative) and religious meal limitations.

Salad is often not vegan (mayonnaise, dressings, eggs). There is the misconception that vegan is healthy or light. French fries with ketchup are my preferred vegan meal. I like also hot vegetables (and also deep fry vegetables). Pesto pasta, bruschette, most of the pizzas (Italian), moussaka (Greek), ratatouille (France), gazpacho (Spain), ...

Sorry I missed night one. This is night two

c - thank you for this, there is a variety, for sure...

bon voyage

Ooh, I love seitan!

This looks great, thanks for sharing. Hope it'll be on the Reflection this fall.

It sure looks like something was eliminated, can you find out which station was removed? It looks like the stir fry station may be history. That will be a shame if that was eliminated.

It sure looks like something was eliminated, can you find out which station was removed? It looks like the stir fry station may be history. That will be a shame if that was eliminated.

I Am sure they will make you a stir fry if you want it..... just request it the day before.

bon voyage

I'm sure in a large space such as Oceanview cafe they can rearrange things without eliminating anything. There are a lot of duplicate stations. It is good that Celebrity has added a selection for Vegan foods to serve those guests on board. Maybe they will also add a Gluten-free selection area too?

I'm sure in a large space such as Oceanview cafe they can rearrange things without eliminating anything. There are a lot of duplicate stations. It is good that Celebrity has added a selection for Vegan foods to serve those guests on board. Maybe they will also add a Gluten-free selection area too?

I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.

Agreed, lots of duplicate options on Oceanview. If anything they've taken away choices they used to have, and duplicated making more of the same lately, so some attempt at increasing variety like this is beneficial.

bigbeergut - I am always interested to read posts from a wide swath of views... I don't think a station offering something else needs to be "eliminated" there are generally multiples of most things and taking one of those duplicate stations out of rotation to offer something different isn't really eliminating anything. I have a very good friend that is vegan, so when she was near me in Boston for work (FEB 2017), I drove out to meet her and spend the weekend. Being a bit of a foodie myself, I knew she would be surprised if I found some options to try that would work for her as well. I have to say that I was completely blown away with good vegan options when they are done right. While I don't have a lot of confidence that Celebrity will make a vegan station as good as their Indian station, I do hope it works out for those that are vegan or with dietary restrictions.

EDIT: In case you decide to reply to my post, I had not read all the way through before starting my post. I agree with TeeRick, even if you don't. There has always been a couple of duplicates. I doubt that the stirfry will be eliminated, but realize that it isn't offered every night, either.

We all do realize that a vegan section isn’t just for vegans, right? We can all use it, just like the ‘asian’ or ‘mexican’ food sections aren’t for a set nationality.

Much of it will be selections we are familiar with, just done in a manner without any animal products, such as chicken broths or milk and so on.

Den

We all do realize that a vegan section isn’t just for vegans, right? We can all use it, just like the ‘asian’ or ‘mexican’ food sections aren’t for a set nationality.

Much of it will be selections we are familiar with, just done in a manner without any animal products, such as chicken broths or milk and so on.

Den

Thanks, Den... very well said!

Plenty of space for one or two ‘Special’ areas....

I think one of the things all of us like about OV is we can browse and have choices...why should guests with specific diets not have a few items to browse too rather than have to decide on a Monday what they might fancy on a Tuesday!

I'm not sure I agree. The Oceanview Cafe is fairly well organized and utilized, space cannot be created. Something has been eliminated. Adding sections for small groups takes away choices for the large majority of cruisers. Maybe the people who need or want glue free, vegan, etc should follow Bo's advice and simply request a day early.

Actually, I was suggesting for foods which anyone can or will eat without restriction, can make a request a day early to have.

Many of us on different eating lifestyles, do not ask that the world be turned upside down to solely accommodate us, only a slice of it.. LOL

The large majority of cruisers will still have the lions share of food space dedicated to them anyway, a station or two will not be missed, I Am sure...

bon voyage

bigbeergut - I am always interested to read posts from a wide swath of views... I don't think a station offering something else needs to be "eliminated" there are generally multiples of most things and taking one of those duplicate stations out of rotation to offer something different isn't really eliminating anything. I have a very good friend that is vegan, so when she was near me in Boston for work (FEB 2017), I drove out to meet her and spend the weekend. Being a bit of a foodie myself, I knew she would be surprised if I found some options to try that would work for her as well. I have to say that I was completely blown away with good vegan options when they are done right. While I don't have a lot of confidence that Celebrity will make a vegan station as good as their Indian station, I do hope it works out for those that are vegan or with dietary restrictions.

EDIT: In case you decide to reply to my post, I had not read all the way through before starting my post. I agree with TeeRick, even if you don't. There has always been a couple of duplicates. I doubt that the stirfry will be eliminated, but realize that it isn't offered every night, either.

v - believe me, X is trying to get it right, yet without those of us who are vegan speaking up on how to improve the offerings, then they will go lacking...

For example on our Millennium sailing last July, it took a few days for them to get it right, yet by the end of the sailing there were great selections of food not only in OVC but in the MDR as well...

Thank you for your thoughts - bon voyage

Thank you so much for sharing!!! hoping the Vegan Station is still going when we board the Solstice in December :)

Heather

Vegan is food without animal products.

With the majority of the Cafe being “meat-centric”, I am sure that a small, dedicated space for those who do not consume animals (or their by-products) is not “taking away” from the incredible choices that are offered to those who do eat animals.

I am so thankful to see this message thread and read the encouraging news that more choices are offered to us, other than lettuce & tomato sandwiches ;)

From my observation no station was eliminated. Stir fry was still there. Evening special “theme” station was still there — last night was Eastern European. Carving station was still there — last night was salmon wrapped in pastry.

They simply did not duplicate one station, and moved some things from one station to this one (rice, corn).

This was a win-win situation.

Vegan is food without animal products.

With the majority of the Cafe being “meat-centric”, I am sure that a small, dedicated space for those who do not consume animals (or their by-products) is not “taking away” from the incredible choices that are offered to those who do eat animals.

I am so thankful to see this message thread and read the encouraging news that more choices are offered to us, other than lettuce & tomato sandwiches ;)

There's no way it doesn't take away from existing choices in the buffet. Iff a station has been duplicated then it's because the items in that station are in high demand. Eliminating stations that are duplicated is probably the last option. Eliminating existing options will reduce the choices for the majority of the passengers. I wonder if the Retreat area with the new Edge Revolution will have a lot of vegan choices.

From my observation no station was eliminated. Stir fry was still there. Evening special “theme” station was still there — last night was Eastern European. Carving station was still there — last night was salmon wrapped in pastry.

They simply did not duplicate one station, and moved some things from one station to this one (rice, corn).

This was a win-win situation.

cruisestitch - thanks for giving us your first hand reporting. As usual, always great! [emoji3]

There's no way it doesn't take away from existing choices in the buffet. Iff a station has been duplicated then it's because the items in that station are in high demand. Eliminating stations that are duplicated is probably the last option. Eliminating existing options will reduce the choices for the majority of the passengers. I wonder if the Retreat area with the new Edge Revolution will have a lot of vegan choices.

Perhaps some of these choices were included in different areas of the buffet, and just gathered together and labeled as vegan. It certainly saves people a lot of time in line. For those who are avoiding meat and dairy in their meals it is no longer necessary to ask what ingredients are included in a dish. For example, many people are allergic to shellfish, vegan dishes are safe for them to eat.

Posted (edited)

Bigbeergut guy, I think you are reaching a bit. If something is popular and is duplicated, and for some reason they remove one for a vegan plate, then when the remaiing one gets close to being depleted, the attentive waitstaff replace it, and that won’t adversely impact the ‘majority’ and meets other people’s requirements, and, as pointed out before, a different option will be available for all, including us meat eaters. That’s my experience with popular and ‘exotic’ choices. When it’s low, it’s refilled. Fixed!

Den

Edited by Denny01

I agree. Big beer gut guy is reaching. We are talking about the evening buffet in Oceanview. It’s not like lunch we’re nearly every table is occupied and people are racing around searching for food. This is the dinner buffet. They sometimes don’t even have every station open at dinner. Because there isn’t that much demand. There was no negative impact for other diners. For instance the corn and rice were actually duplicated, available at both the vegan and the hot entrée stations. I will try to go again tonight for further pictures.

I agree. Big beer gut guy is reaching. We are talking about the evening buffet in Oceanview. It’s not like lunch we’re nearly every table is occupied and people are racing around searching for food. This is the dinner buffet. They sometimes don’t even have every station open at dinner. Because there isn’t that much demand. There was no negative impact for other diners. For instance the corn and rice were actually duplicated, available at both the vegan and the hot entrée stations. I will try to go again tonight for further pictures.

Thank you cruisestitch for keeping us posted. It is much appreciated and this was great news for me today to read this.

Still amused of how this may be perceived as “taking away” from those that consume animals. This small dedicated station at the Dinner Buffet is what? 5% of the entire menu being offered?

Again - many, many thanks for the news and sincere gratitude to Celebrity for recognizing the need for said station.

I am not Vegan but I do feel that those who are should have some choices too. They should not have to make food choices in advance. The Vegan station is for everyone so how can the items there take away from the choices “the large majority” is making? I have eaten in the OV buffet many times and I have never encountered insufficient choices nor do I anticipate that I will now that a Vegan station has been added.