Vegan on Solstice ... new! Oceanview Cafe

cruisestitch

So, I asked today and was told that no, nothing was removed. That station had been empty last week.

Some things were rearranged. The corn and rice had been on a different station and were moved to the vegan station. More to come.

Did they have it at lunch as well as dinner? I personally would love to see this on Infinity in October (where I notice that vulcan1971 will be sailing as well) or Edge in January. I am not vegan but I don't eat some stuff like shellfish, pork or beef. Knowing that everything at that station was OK for me to eat would make things simpler.

If anyone really believes the Celebrity staff is this lazy, then perhaps you need to find another cruise line. All of the space is currently utilized and if something is added them something must disappear. I've never heard anyone suggest there are too many choices. Good luck with whatever they remove, I hope it's not something that you enjoyed.

Who said they were lazy? I meant that the menu for the day had a specific number of items, some duplicated. They often have the same dish at more than one station in the buffet. I can't believe that you keep posting incorrect info but I can't wait to hear you respond that the crew member who told the person who's onboard that nothing was removed it wrong.

Right. I'm curios to see what kind of food will be provided. Vegan on airlines is often also an "alias" for Asian vegetarian (which is delicious as alternative) and religious meal limitations.

Salad is often not vegan (mayonnaise, dressings, eggs). There is the misconception that vegan is healthy or light. French fries with ketchup are my preferred vegan meal. I like also hot vegetables (and also deep fry vegetables). Pesto pasta, bruschette, most of the pizzas (Italian), moussaka (Greek), ratatouille (France), gazpacho (Spain), ...

Just a note that pesto is made with parmesan cheese and is not vegan.

But pesto can be made with soy cheese rather than parmigiano reggiano.

You are correct. However, if I saw pesto at a station not indicated as Vegan, I'd assume it had parmesan cheese. At a vegan station, I'd assume that the recipe had been modified as you indicated with a substitute. It's nice that X has thought to offer folks looking for vegan options a "safe zone." Of course non vegans aren't prohibited from trying things there also, so I don't get the reaction of some here who seem to feel they're being deprived of something. One of the things I find pleasing about the OVC (and cruising in general) is the number of options available to try. While I might not order something in a restaurant (land) it's fun to try new things aboard ship. The wide variety offered gives the opportunity to try many new things that I and others may never try in other circumstances.

Well made veggie and vegan food is great ! Indian vegetarian food is one of my favorites although

I am an omnivore , Besides that it is healthy and can prevent or reduce a big beer gut . :D:D

Come on , you know you wanted to say it!

I don’t know but I will try to investigate further; he did say he was pleased with the positive reception it has gotten in just three nights, so I gather this is something brand new.

I have always had the impression that the Oceanview café has greater flexibility at night then the dining room has, with its fixed menus and the same things cruise after cruise.

So maybe this one chef has gone rogue but whatever, I hope it prevails.

Well made veggie and vegan food is great ! Indian vegetarian food is one of my favorites although

I am an omnivore , Besides that it is healthy and can prevent or reduce a big beer gut . :D:D

Come on , you know you wanted to say it!

C’mon, that was too easy😉

We all do realize that a vegan section isn’t just for vegans, right? We can all use it, just like the ‘asian’ or ‘mexican’ food sections aren’t for a set nationality.

Much of it will be selections we are familiar with, just done in a manner without any animal products, such as chicken broths or milk and so on.

Den

Thanks Den. Great point. Remember the old Alka Seltzer commercial - "Try It, You'll Like It"?

Vegan also works for those with dairy allergies so I hope that thie Vegan station quickly becomes standard across the fleet! Those who cannot eat dairy will tell you how difficult it can be as there is often hidden dairy in foods. It isn’t just a case of eliminating the obvious dairy items.

That is a good point. Since learning I am lactose intolerant (thank goodness not allergic to dairy), I am amazed (and appalled) at how many foods have 'hidden' dairy in them, including breads, salad dressings, etc.. I am always asking my waiter if this soup, or that salad, etc., has dairy. I can tolerate some dairy with lactase tablets, but I need to know what I am up against so to speak.

Thanks Den. Great point. Remember the old Alka Seltzer commercial - "Try It, You'll Like It"?

And: ‘Give it to MIkey, he’ll eat anything!’. It’s also interesting how great things taste on a cruise. I tried pickled herring on a cruise and loved it. And always looked for it. When we got home, I got a bottle of it and got all ready.......and it was sooo boring and not that great of a thing. Next cruise, tried the herring again and boy was it great!

You never know. So looking forward to trying out some of the specials that are being displayed here.

Den

Den,

On our recent Solstice cruise (Aus & NZ) I just had to try Vegemite which was served every day in the Oceanview cafe. It was disgusting! Sorry if I am offending any Aussies out there!

LOL, it is an 'acquired' taste.

Additionally, it is usually most often not vegan....

bon voyage

c - Thank You for the photos and your efforts in these postings.

Greatly appreciated and helps with anticipation and our ability to request similar stations on other X ships...

bon appetite and bon voyage!