Sticker Shock! - Scooter rental in Civitavecchia!!

ladylyn915

I have a Norwegian Jade Cruise booked for September 2019. I just contacted Special Needs at Sea to inquire about the cost for a standard mobility scooter ( not an heavy duty one) for an 11 Day cruise. $532.00!!!

To say I am in shock is an understatement. Maybe I am just naive - but my last cruise last month departing from Cape Liberty was $256 for nine days. I am not sure what to do.

I only need the scooter for cruising. Is it possible to buy a used mobility scooter for less than this rental amount? If I can find one, how is a scooter handled by the airlines? Is there a fee for checking it? If so, does anyone know how much?

I'm glad I called now because if I have to budget $500+ for the scooter, I better start now.

I purchased my own for $700 from spinlife.com. Scooters travel free with the airline. I believe you drive it to the door of the plane, the staff stores it for the ride, then they bring it back to you when you land. No walking through the airport.

I purchased my own for $700 from spinlife.com. Scooters travel free with the airline. I believe you drive it to the door of the plane, the staff stores it for the ride, then they bring it back to you when you land. No walking through the airport.

Thank you!

I may have to do this. May I ask, how long have you had your scooter and do you like it?

Thank you!

I may have to do this. May I ask, how long have you had your scooter and do you like it?

I have had it since March. I love it. I can do more things and go more places without someone having to push me and I'm not exhausted from walking (or trying too.)

Currently on the internet, the Pride Travel 3 wheel is listed at $649. I currently have a Pride Travel 3 wheel that I have had for at least four years (36 cruises). Before that I had I had a Golden Technology Buzz Around 3 wheel for about six years (24 cruises).

I'd suggest you check a couple of your local Medical Supply places. Like you, I have a limited budged and it is much less expensive to own. And as someone else mentioned, you can ride your scooter right to the airplane in the U.S. When we flew out of Rome, they took our scooters at the check in and somebody wheeled us around in wheel chairs. That was a number of years ago.

We did take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia and scooted from the train station in Civitavecchia to the ship's shuttle bus pick-up point. Again, that was a few years ago. Someone recently suggested that the shuttle bus point has relocated.

If you do get your own scooter and decide to use the trains in Italy, you should contact their Sala Blu department. We booked our tickets through them. http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en Just click on the wheelchair assistance at the bottom. That will aim you the correct direction. To my knowledge there still is not a direct train from the airport to Civitavecchia. We spent a couple nights in Rome before the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 11 months later...

In my area (San Francisco Bay area) there are regularly a number of used mobility scooters priced  $350 to $500.  Check Craigslist.org and Letgo.com for your areas.  You could also check with thrift shops by phone.  Airlines flying to or within the US are required to transport mobility equipment without charge.  Typically, you can either check with your baggage and have the airline provide a wheelchair and pusher to get you through security and to the gate (also at transfer airport, if you have a stop along the way) or with most airlines you can ride it to the gate and check it there.  

I have rented from both Special Needs at Sea and ScootAround and always check pricing on both. For my upcoming 14 day TA from Rome to Miami, Special Needs quoted me $642 and ScootAround was $395.  Pretty obvious which one I chose. BTW, I own a Tzora but it is too heavy for me to take apart and travel with by myself. 

I have travelled to many countries in the world with my Travelscoot and I always get to drive it to the door of the plane and it gets carried down stairs with the strollers and wheelchairs.   It is at the door of the plane after we land.   We wait until everyone is off the plane because it takes a few minutes for the scooter to be brought up.   I have never had to pay any airline to transport my scooter.

I have heard of scooters being damaged that are checked in as luggage so I never do that.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, ladylyn915 said:

I have a Norwegian Jade Cruise booked for September 2019. I just contacted Special Needs at Sea to inquire about the cost for a standard mobility scooter ( not an heavy duty one) for an 11 Day cruise. $532.00!!!

To say I am in shock is an understatement. Maybe I am just naive - but my last cruise last month departing from Cape Liberty was $256 for nine days. I am not sure what to do.

I only need the scooter for cruising. Is it possible to buy a used mobility scooter for less than this rental amount? If I can find one, how is a scooter handled by the airlines? Is there a fee for checking it? If so, does anyone know how much?

I'm glad I called now because if I have to budget $500+ for the scooter, I better start now.

I’d look at the Scout 3 or 4 on Amazon.  Or check your medical supplier for used scooters.   The Scout come in 3 pieces and is in the high $600s iirc.  Heaviest piece is 38 lb, I think.    I bought a folding scooter, but rented one first, for a cruise out of Florida just to see how I’d do with it.  Decided on a different design by same manufacturer. The folding scooters tend to be around $2000 give or take but I love mine. 

The supplier for my scooter is in florida and after we had some damage by the airlines we ventured out to see their other models,  EMmobility, I thing, but there are several different vendors there. Most have used or floor models discounted a bit. 

The  main problem with traveling with scooters is the battery type and wattage.  Ion batteries are around $500 and that type of battery is a concern for fire so their is a limit on their power.  

I’ve been in a few airports that cannot return the scooter to the door of the aircraft but they tell you that up front.  Most are delighted at how light mine is when they need to takes it at the door.   For longer flights scooters are put in their own containers and strapped down to prevent them from moving in flight.  I’ve seen one and it was interesting how they were used.  Not all airports can unload those at the gate.  And not all aircraft use containers. 

Hth

Hth - thanks for the response.  Because of health issues we had to cancel this cruise.  Before that happened I contacted Scootaround and the price was considerably less.  I only use a scooter on cruises because of the length of the new ships.  Purchasing one would be unnecessary and I would not want to travel with it.  I appreciate the feedback though.

Lyn

• 1 month later...

Special Needs at Sea wants $603 for a 16-day Cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. I am very seriously thinking of getting a Zinger Chair. Unlike a scooter, it requires no lift in the back of the car. It is definitely pricey at $2,400 but the $603 I save can be applied to the cost of the Zinger. That’s a huge saving on just one cruise.

I travel extensively with my Travelscoot and they always take it at the door of the plane (jetway) and return it when we land.   I have a lithium battery and it is not a problem.  We unplug it and bring it on the plane with us.   They only place we had a small problem was in China but it did get accepted to go on the plane with us. 

I can fold it up myself when needed and I can lift it into the trunk of all cars or taxis.  It weighs about  15 kilos/35 lbs. with the battery attached. 

16 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

Special Needs at Sea wants $603 for a 16-day Cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. I am very seriously thinking of getting a Zinger Chair. Unlike a scooter, it requires no lift in the back of the car. It is definitely pricey at $2,400 but the $603 I save can be applied to the cost of the Zinger. That’s a huge saving on just one cruise.

That’s the reasoning I used to justify my scooter which was slightly less but carries more weight.