Emotional Support Animals No Longer Allowed on Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships

At what point does this get so out of hand that the government steps in and starts making requirements for proof for the service animals? I take my dog with me any place I can IF they are dog friendly (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) but never ever some place like a cruise or restaurant or even a friends house unless the dog is invited. My dogs are my kids but I have enough sense to not take them places that aren't pet friendly.

Same here. I would never subject them to an aircraft or a ship.

The cruise line is not asking ship and port employees to make the determination. Instead they are requiring anyone planning to bring a dog on board to get prior approval from corporate, most likely the special needs department. No pre-approval, no boarding. Thus the port and ship personnel are not involved in the decision.
Fair enough. How will special needs identify scammers, if they have to follow the guidelines? Presumably, they are doing it now. What is changing, other than I need the dog for emotional support, is no longer the right answer? If the passenger says I have PTSD and anxiety, the dog is to offset panic attacks, it's done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Frankly I think the solution to the issue is to require 'emotional support' animals to have exactly the same obedience training as legitimate service animals, which are some of the best trained animals around. The real problem with purported emotional support animals is not their presence (except for those with allergies), but their behavior and the behavior of their owners.
That is really interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Frankly I think the solution to the issue is to require 'emotional support' animals to have exactly the same obedience training as legitimate service animals, which are some of the best trained animals around. The real problem with purported emotional support animals is not their presence (except for those with allergies), but their behavior and the behavior of their owners.

Unfortunately, there is no legal requirement for a service animal to have obedience training. The only thing that the ADA requires is that the animal is "under the owner's control" and "if it causes a disruption of the business" the owner can be asked to leave the premises.

This whole problem goes away if people just mind their own business and enjoy their vacation. Some peoplle just love to complain, so I guess everybody is happy.

Have a great cruise!

It does NOT go away, when the untrained, fake service dog or ESA dog distracts my fully trained service dog or lunges at my dog therefore distracting him from doing his job. I am his job and this puts me at risk for injuries.

I want to enjoy my cruise and be happy. I will respect others and I expect the same. People who bring untrained dogs are not respecting others and imposing on them.

It does NOT go away, when the untrained, fake service dog or ESA dog distracts my fully trained service dog or lunges at my dog therefore distracting him from doing his job. I am his job and this puts me at risk for injuries.

I want to enjoy my cruise and be happy. I will respect others and I expect the same. People who bring untrained dogs are not respecting others and imposing on them.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little surprising at how intense this has gotten. Shouldn't be though. We love our pets whether they be service or not. Yeah, by definition service dogs are not pets but come on. We scratch behind their ears, we cuddle with them, we love them to death. No, I don't want to see them pooping on the poop deck but you know what? In spite of some of some comments I've personally made I could live with a true service dog doing what dogs do. God bless y'all who need them. God not bless y'all who scam with them.

Will the time come that individuals with legitimate animals take a stand a demand that their rights are still protected but don't mind giving up further information to accomplish this? To continue to protect themselves but stop the abusers of the system.

I wonder if people with legitimate service animals will lobby for a better laid out national program to curb the abusers. For example, more specific questions that legally can be asked and perhaps have government photo ID of their animal. This would document their animal and it's training, something like a divers licence. Maybe even this ID states what your animal does, and no further questions have to be asked. If you are caught with a fake ID, you face a step fine such as $5,000 for the first charge, and escalates from there for reoccurring charges. I currently have to show my divers license to prove who I am when I check in to a hotel, why not have something similar for an ADA animal. It could answer the obvious questions, without even asking them.

If I needed assistance from an animal I would be livid at the fakers and be fighting against them. I would be willing to give up that information, to protect my rights and quash their falsehoods. Just my thoughts, and perhaps people with legitimate needs have already started to think about something like this.

To answer your questions. I have a fully trained service dog. I would gladly give up more information, in fact, I carry all the extra information I can. Although it is illegal, per ADA, to ask for documentation, I would present it. I would tell them I don't mind showing it, but they need to be careful because of lawsuits.

I also would be more than willing to get him "certified" and have ID for him. I wish that would happen. The fakes make it so hard for me and since my disability isn't always obvious, sometimes I am in a wheelchair, some days I can manage with a cane, I get a lot of judgement.

In fact, although not required, with transportation trying to get stricter and so many fakes out there, I get as some AKC training certificates (Canine Good Citizen and Public Access). Since service dogs are so highly trained, these certificates are no problem and don't require additional training. But it is being pro active.

Linda and Halo

Unfortunately, there is no legal requirement for a service animal to have obedience training. The only thing that the ADA requires is that the animal is "under the owner's control" and "if it causes a disruption of the business" the owner can be asked to leave the premises.

If it causes a disruption during a transatlantic, can we just throw the two of them overboard? :rolleyes:

To answer your questions. I have a fully trained service dog. I would gladly give up more information, in fact, I carry all the extra information I can. Although it is illegal, per ADA, to ask for documentation, I would present it. I would tell them I don't mind showing it, but they need to be careful because of lawsuits.

I also would be more than willing to get him "certified" and have ID for him. I wish that would happen. The fakes make it so hard for me and since my disability isn't always obvious, sometimes I am in a wheelchair, some days I can manage with a cane, I get a lot of judgement.

In fact, although not required, with transportation trying to get stricter and so many fakes out there, I get as some AKC training certificates (Canine Good Citizen and Public Access). Since service dogs are so highly trained, these certificates are no problem and don't require additional training. But it is being pro active.

Linda and Halo

Thank you for responding to my general question/thoughts, as well as providing your first hand experience. Being from Canada there is a difference in laws and rules, so it isn’t 100% clear to me. However, there have been some good explanations here.

As per your statement, it was my understanding that basically no questions are to be asked to protect your privacy. It sounds as though you have had enough, and I have a feeling that many in your position will feel the same. Perhaps there will be a push back by the effected individuals to change ADA rules to help quash the fakes.

This obviously isn’t a straw mans argument to the people it effects.

Thank-you again for responding.

What is considered a disruption of the business? If the dog starts barking because the human stopped breathing, that is going to disrupt the business, unless you are at a hospital (or any government building). If a dog sends yesterday's dinner out the back end and it lands on the floor, that might disrupt the business (or it might not).

I think if someone's ESA has an accident (ie defecates) on board, they and the dog should be put off the ship at the next port and have to fly themselves and Little Fluffy home at their own expense. RCI lawyers can add this to the Cruise Contract.

People who booked before July 30, 2018 can still bring their Emotional Support Animal onboard. So there will still be issues.

What is considered a disruption of the business? If the dog starts barking because the human stopped breathing, that is going to disrupt the business, unless you are at a hospital (or any government building). If a dog sends yesterday's dinner out the back end and it lands on the floor, that might disrupt the business (or it might not).

I don't know if disruption is defined in the ADA, I hope it is.

However, if someone stopped breathing in a business, with or without a barking dog, I would guess that whole scene would be disruptive.

But, your question is legitimate.

Linda and Halo

I don't know if disruption is defined in the ADA, I hope it is.

However, if someone stopped breathing in a business, with or without a barking dog, I would guess that whole scene would be disruptive.

But, your question is legitimate.

Linda and Halo

I was referring to a story, I am not sure how long ago, where someone had some sort of an obvious medical issue in the waiting room of an ER - AND WAS IGNORED (and current issues with the long waits at the CA DMV).

Will the time come that individuals with legitimate animals take a stand a demand that their rights are still protected but don't mind giving up further information to accomplish this? To continue to protect themselves but stop the abusers of the system.

I wonder if people with legitimate service animals will lobby for a better laid out national program to curb the abusers. For example, more specific questions that legally can be asked and perhaps have government photo ID of their animal. This would document their animal and it's training, something like a divers licence. Maybe even this ID states what your animal does, and no further questions have to be asked. If you are caught with a fake ID, you face a step fine such as $5,000 for the first charge, and escalates from there for reoccurring charges. I currently have to show my divers license to prove who I am when I check in to a hotel, why not have something similar for an ADA animal. It could answer the obvious questions, without even asking them.

If I needed assistance from an animal I would be livid at the fakers and be fighting against them. I would be willing to give up that information, to protect my rights and quash their falsehoods. Just my thoughts, and perhaps people with legitimate needs have already started to think about something like this.

100% agree with this^

What protection is their for people with dog allergies? You no longer get nuts on planes because of the fear of nut allergies so why should dogs be allowed on planes?

Not really equivalent. I'm allergic to artificial fragrances, and will spend a day or two in misery if I have to sit in close proximity to someone who has slathered themselves in perfume, but I'm not going to die.

That said, I'm firmly on the side of only allowing well-trained, actual service animals on planes, cruises, and confined public spaces. My daughter is autistic, with anxiety disorder, and is greatly comforted by our cats. In fairness to our cats and anyone with allergies, they stay home. If she was unable to leave our home without one, she would most likely be staying home.

It is ridiculous!!!! How much is Southwest charging passengers to allow them to bring their miniature horses on the plane? Do the horses have a seat? How many passengers are allowed to bring their miniature horses on an individual flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as doctors will write up letters for the "fakers" this problem won't end no matter how much government is involved.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk