Drink Package Pros/Cons on QM2

scottbh

I loved my 14 days this summer on the QM2, 7 with the $12 and under beverage package. On this leg (the first) we always had fever tree ginger ale and tonic in the bottles. However, on the 7 days without the package I tried the ginger ale and tonic from the fountain and they tatsed cardboardy and moldy. DH tried them too & agreed the lines were poorly maintained. He’s an ex marine who will eat and drink almost anything. I always use him as my litmus test of “am I just being picky here?”

I probably should have said something but by then I felt like part of the family and that pesky desire to please syndrome took over. I didn’t want to offend my host. So stupid in hindsight. But we just paid for the fever tree.

Point being is that if any drink package excluded the mixers in a bottle or can that would be a deal breaker for me.

The email reply below clears up the question of soft drinks and coffee not being included in the package. Cunard don’t like to make life easy!

Thank you for your email.

Please follow this LINK for sample drinks menus accross the ship including wine, spirits and soft drinks. This LINK is for the inclusions of the varied drinks packages available. Coffee, soft drinks are not included in the beer, wine, or hot drinks packages and visa versa. I hope this helps.

The email reply below clears up the question of soft drinks and coffee not being included in the package. Cunard don’t like to make life easy!

Please follow this LINK for sample drinks menus accross the ship including wine, spirits and soft drinks. This LINK is for the inclusions of the varied drinks packages available. Coffee, soft drinks are not included in the beer, wine, or hot drinks packages and visa versa. I hope this helps.

But apparently previous posters on this thread who are on QM2 state that the leaflet that is all over the ship states that the price of beers, wines and spirits package at $69pppd includes the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks package so will include soft drinks.

Just so you know - Any links to information available to people on the UK side of the Atlantic fail to bring up that information when clicked from the US side. We are sent to the generic FAQ site, which contains nothing about most of the things for which one has questions, including menus, drinks packages, and so forth.

Just contacted Cunard UK by Facebook message and they have confirmed the following-

"all beers, spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass retailing up to $11 per serving as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks option such as unlimited soft drinks, fruit juices, mocktails, small bottles of mineral water and speciality hot drinks".

Just contacted Cunard UK by Facebook message and they have confirmed the following-

"all beers, spirits, liqueurs, cocktails and wines by the glass retailing up to $11 per serving as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks option such as unlimited soft drinks, fruit juices, mocktails, small bottles of mineral water and speciality hot drinks".

Left hand not knowing what the right hand is up to!

We will wait to see what actually happens on board, then decide.

Me, I just hope the Officer of the Watch has a better handle on things than Cunard does with their drinks packages of late. We all need a stiff one after navigating through this. I suspect the poor bar staff does too.

Would it be possible for someone who is currently on-board to post a current bar menu?

I would be interested to see what the wine offerings are going to be. The current menu shows very few below the $11 mark, so if this is all that is available then the new deal would not be worth it for us.

Ever heard the proverb...

"If it sounds too good be true, then it probably is....."

This drink package has been designed to make Cunard money in the long term as from experience unless you always drink a "house" spirit and pump soda splash or a small glass of wine you will eventually hanker after something different over the course of a voyage. Hence the 20% discount on other drinks over the threshold limit.

Our advice: treat yourself to a favourite bottle of something special and bring it onboard, purchase a selection of mixers if you wish, and have this as a pre dinner drink and/or post evening tipple in your stateroom.

Then go to one of the gorgeous bars onboard and have decent martini or CUNARD:bottle-pop::cocktail: cocktail and watch the world slip by.. life is for living I guess.

I emailed Cunard to ask if they sold a drinks package and received the following reply. -

The packages are only available on board QM2 from 19 Aug 18.

There are four new options available:

1) Beers, Wines and Spirits,

2) Premium Soft Drinks

3) Soft Drinks and

4) Speciality Hot Drinks

These packages are not prebookable and can only be booked on board up until the second night of your voyage.

Pricing is subject to change without prior notice and price adjustments (up or down) implemented on the day of sailing will replace any previously advertised prices.

Guest Services

So it looks like they are trialling drink packages, I haven’t been able to find out a price as yet.

A range of new inclusive drinks options is now available to buy onboard Queen Mary 2. The range includes a Beers, Wines and Spirits Option ($69* per person per day), a Premium Soft Drinks Option ($29* per person per day), a Soft Drinks Option ($10* per person per day) and a Speciality Hot drinks option ($15* per person per day). These prices are inclusive of 15% bar service charge. More details of these options and associated terms and conditions will be provided on board by your bar teams. These options are currently only able to be purchased on board and are available until midnight on the second day of your voyage – for voyages of five nights or more.*Prices are subject to change

i emailed them to be more specific but they wernt in reply

• 4 months later...

It is a rip off, do some simple maths, if you are spending £50 a day on alcohol then you need sa liver transplant. Charge is for every day of your cruise and has to be for both parties of your cabin. Disney, oh sorry Carnival, no that is now called Cunard need to pop down to planet earth. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A WORLD OF DRINKS

Providing an additional layer of convenience and flexibility for guests, ‘A world of drinks’ offers more ways to enjoy the extensive range of beverages on board; enabling you to cover your bar tab in advance with a fixed daily price inclusive of service charge.

‘A World of drinks’ range includes a Soft Drinks Option, a Speciality Hot Drinks Option, a Premium Soft Drinks Option and a Beers, Wines and Spirits Option. Complimenting these new options is our existing Wine Collection, offering fine wines from around the world.

All Drink Options are only available on voyages of five nights or more and must be purchased for all days of your voyage.

Purchasing Gifts

To purchase any of the gifts lists below please call
1-800-728-6273

• Soft

Soft Drinks

Price: $10.00

Stay refreshed throughout your voyage with unlimited draught soft drinks, selected fruit juices, squash and cordials. 

$10 per guest per day.

• Speciality

Speciality Hot Drinks

Price: $15.00

Enjoy unlimited illy speciality coffees, Tea Forté infusions and hot chocolates. 

$15 per guest per day.

• Premium

Premium Soft Drinks

Price: $29.00

Enjoy unlimited refreshments from a range of soft drinks, small bottled waters, freshly squeezed juices, speciality hot drinks and non-alcoholic cocktails. Plus a 20% discount on any non-alcoholic drinks not included in the Premium Soft Drinks Option. 

$29 per guest per day.

• Beers,

Beers, Wines & Spirits

Price: $69.00

Discover an incredible array of outstanding beverages from the world’s leading brands, including our very own signature 3 Queens Gin. Our most comprehensive selection includes wines by the glass, spirits, liqueurs and cocktails up to $11 per serving, as well as all the benefits of the Premium Soft Drinks option. Plus, you’ll also receive a 20% discount on drinks above $11, some bottles of wine and large bottles of water. 

$69 per guest per day.

• Wine

Wine Collections

Price: $299.00

Our expert sommeliers have handpicked a range of fine wines from around the world to create two distinctly different yet equally exquisite wine collections: the Commodore’s Collection and the Captain’s Collection. From crisp whites to full-bodied reds, each Cunard wine collection comprises an exceptional mix of wines for you to choose from, to create your very own tailor-made selection, of either 6, 12, 24 or 48 bottles 

We will be travelling on QM2 in May and will most likely be trying the drinks package. For the three of us, we tend to spend over $180-200 each night including bottle of wine at dinner, so will definitely be worth it for us. We tend not to order any drinks before 6pm in the evening, so with the package, we will be able to buy hot drinks, soft drinks and perhaps a alcoholic drink in the afternoon. 

While $69 seems a lot per person each day, if you are drinking from 6pm - 1am, thats less than a drink an hour, so we are more than happy to purchase the package. Also gives us the piece of mind that we are not spending loads. We try not to go for expensive drinks, as it really isn't worth it, when you can get it much less at home, and we don't like to drink in our rooms, as we want to be experiencing the ship. 

If you don't drink more than 3-4 drinks, then it really is not worth it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 2:01 PM, Host Hattie said:

I didn't realise a drink package was available to purchase separately, I thought it was included on certain category bookings (in the US only).

That's a high daily spend to make it worthwhile, especially if you are restricted to wines by the glass under $12.

there are now several drink packages the one for soft and alcoholic ones is $69 a day I am wondering the add up of consumption , How about soft drinks even water at breakfast, dinner and evening meals at the table I am concerned with out a drinks package this will add up, then purchasing alcoholic beverages on top a day will add up. say I want a cuppa tea in the day I drink alot of tea. any advice Hattie would be great - I am sailing in May just to get my dog home and I am worried the bills will add up - only soft drink are free in the buffet area's is this correct? thank you in advance

26 minutes ago, UKGirlyUSA said:

there are now several drink packages the one for soft and alcoholic ones is $69 a day I am wondering the add up of consumption , How about soft drinks even water at breakfast, dinner and evening meals at the table I am concerned with out a drinks package this will add up, then purchasing alcoholic beverages on top a day will add up. say I want a cuppa tea in the day I drink alot of tea. any advice Hattie would be great - I am sailing in May just to get my dog home and I am worried the bills will add up - only soft drink are free in the buffet area's is this correct? thank you in advance

You can go to the buffet area to make tea (english breakfast, herbal, earls grey etc.), filter coffee from the machine, hot chocolate, and the soft drinks (orange juice, apple juice, water etc.) - these are all free of charge. 

When in the restaurants you can request tea and coffee which is free of charge. 

They coffee I assume is better quality when you pay for it, e.g. speciality coffees, but if you drink mostly tea, then you can make your own in the buffet area. You can also make tea and coffee in you room. 

The QM2 also has a drinks station near Connexions, which is at the front of the ship on deck 2. 

Hope this helps 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, akmday10 said:

You can go to the buffet area to make tea (english breakfast, herbal, earls grey etc.), filter coffee from the machine, hot chocolate, and the soft drinks (orange juice, apple juice, water etc.) - these are all free of charge. 

When in the restaurants you can request tea and coffee which is free of charge. 

They coffee I assume is better quality when you pay for it, e.g. speciality coffees, but if you drink mostly tea, then you can make your own in the buffet area. You can also make tea and coffee in you room. 

The QM2 also has a drinks station near Connexions, which is at the front of the ship on deck 2. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Thank you so much for replying, may I ask about water? is this free at dinning? I drink alot of water too

Edited by UKGirlyUSA
add

1 minute ago, UKGirlyUSA said:

Thank you so much for replying, may I ask about water? I drink alot of water too

Water is free in restaurants, when you request it, however in bars I would assume they will bring you bottled water which you would then be charged for. And yes buffet area has water 🙂

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, UKGirlyUSA said:

Thank you so much for replying, may I ask about water? is this free at dinning? I drink alot of water too

Water is fine to drink from the tap in your room and is dispensed chilled in the buffet. Bottled water is expensive, around $4.00 for 1.5L. Not sure what bar costs are or if you can ask them for tap water though I presume you could..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UKGirlyUSA said:

UK GirlyUSA

It's really a matter of personal opinion with use of ship made water. We do at times detect an chorine odor in the bathroom faucet. And sometimes we even see a discoloration which we have to run the tap quite long sometimes.

We are accustom to drinking NYC tap water. But my wife does detect a slight taste of chorine in the shipboard water and prefers to use bottle water for drinking and certain bathroom needs ex. dental rinsing. We even arrange it with the Wine Steward to have bottle available for her table use during dining room meals. And get a small bottle for use if we dine in the Kings Court.

So it's personal preference and personal tastes to make the person comfort.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wenlyn said:

Water is fine to drink from the tap in your room and is dispensed chilled in the buffet. Bottled water is expensive, around $4.00 for 1.5L. Not sure what bar costs are or if you can ask them for tap water though I presume you could..

They will absolutely serve you tap water in the bars, without charge.