Nothing - I've already paid the auto tips.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

On most lines I’ve sailed, room service waiters do not participate in the auto tips (service charge); they have various assignments - in MDR, cafeteria, wherever (where they do get a share) —- but they volunteer for room service duty as an additional function.

So, in those cases, you should have abbreviated your response: “Nothing.”

I don't know about other lines, but on Carnival room service servers don't get any part of the auto gratuities.

I tip a couple of dollars if I order coffee or snacks for one and double that if ordering for two.

I've never ordered full meals but if they had to maneuver multiple or heavy trays would probably increase the tip.

$1-5, depending on how much they have to carry! Most lines are now charging a fee, which does include a tip....but the folks who deliver are kitchen staff, and not really part of the other tips you pay....so a small tip is a lovely token for their trouble.

Anywhere from $2-5 depending on whether it's snacks or full meals.

Same as above for us! (y)

Anywhere from $2-5 depending on whether it's snacks or full meals.

Yes, same for us also.

I generally tip $2 but if the person delivering normally works in the MDR or cafeteria they're very much part of the gratuities pool.

The daily gratuities are allocated to a number of people in addition to the room steward and the waiters.

The daily fee when cruise lines implemented it, was to pay all the employees we didn’t see in addition to people like cabin stewards and dining room waiters. Why would/are room service delivery workers excluded from this collective payment?

because its a volunteer thing. ( just like the in room babysitting) they volunteer in the hopes of getting a few extra bucks.

we generally give between $2-5 as well. lower end for just coffee and pastries, , upper end for anything hot or late at night.

I do not think the stewards assigned to Room Service ss all are voluteers. I get t it about the tips but think they are assigned there.

Do you have actual knowledge to the contrary?

I do not think the stewards assigned to Room Service ss all are voluteers. I get t it about the tips but think they are assigned there.

Do you have actual knowledge to the contrary?

Notarized proof from Carnival headquarters? No.

My "actual knowledge" is a conversation with one of the servers attending the Carnival Chef's Table. I recognized her from early morning coffee deliveries. She said she volunteered for both room service delivery and Chef's table for the extra money.

Room service runners are not part of the tip pool. They work that shift to earn extra tips.

Misspoke in my post. Room service runners are part of the tip pool, however they are not required to add their tips to the pool. They keep what they get in tips.

Room service runners are not part of the tip pool. They work that shift to earn extra tips.
Surely it depends on the cruise line?

We have coffee delivered every morning on our cruises....love It! We always tip $2.00. So worth the luxury!!:)

We have coffee delivered every morning on our cruises....love It! We always tip $2.00. So worth the luxury!!:)
Or just make your own coffee with the kettle provided, depending on your cruise line.

Cruises are for luxuious pampeing, aren't they ? :)

Another additional cost you do not have if you sail an all inclusive line, like Regent. You can have coffee delivered at no cost, no tip needed that's another $100+ not on your end bill. When you work it out Regent and all inclusive are not more expensive, especially as all tips are up front, it amazes me how much tipping adds to US costs if you add $2-3 just for a coffee, your into hundreds of $ for hand out culture nickel and dimming !!

Another additional cost you do not have if you sail an all inclusive line, like Regent. You can have coffee delivered at no cost, no tip needed that's another $100+ not on your end bill. When you work it out Regent and all inclusive are not more expensive, especially as all tips are up front, it amazes me how much tipping adds to US costs if you add $2-3 just for a coffee, your into hundreds of $ for hand out culture nickel and dimming !!

7 night cruise, $3 tip every morning, $21.

7 night cruise, $3 tip every morning, $21.

Ignore that poster. He has a hatred for the US and for tips and inflates and exaggerates the issue every time he posts. As if people are spending "hundreds of $ for hand out culture nickel and dimming" on a cruise as he claims! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have NEVER been on a cruise where the staff has their "hand out" for tips. His accusations are complete and total BS.

Posted (edited)

There is no way I would order coffee to be delivered to me by Room Service and Not tip. I want to tip someone who provides me that service. I would skip ordering if i coul d not say hank you with a moderate tip. That is the way I want it to be

Anyone who does not like our culture should avoid submerging themselves and exposing themselves to it. Easy, don't put your self in a circumstance they do not like and they will not have to complain what is wrong with that culture in THEIR viewpoint.

Edited by sail7seas

OK - my view is that if someone is just delivering a pot of coffee to my cabin, there is no need to tip. Why should I? The cruise line is offering room service, and I cannot see why I should tip more than the value of the coffee.

However, if room service includes setting up a table, serving the food, pouring the wine etc, then I will certainly tip

Wasn't aware they're not part of auto gratuity.

In any event, $2 is our tip.

OK - my view is that if someone is just delivering a pot of coffee to my cabin, there is no need to tip. Why should I? The cruise line is offering room service, and I cannot see why I should tip more than the value of the coffee.

However, if room service includes setting up a table, serving the food, pouring the wine etc, then I will certainly tip

Do you also not tip room service in a hotel? The coffee didn't get to your room on it's own. Effort was made by someone to get it to you so you don't have to go to the bother of getting it yourself.

Considering how much money we have to be able to afford a cruise, scrimping on giving a couple of dollars to someone who can use it more than us is being inconsiderate towards a person who makes our cruise more comfortable.

That same argument can be applied to any service provider in any context: a waitress in a diner just delivers the food - why should you tip more than the value of the ham and eggs?

I hope you are from some non-tipping culture: if you are from the US —- yuck!

That same argument can be applied to any service provider in any context: a waitress in a diner just delivers the food - why should you tip more than the value of the ham and eggs?

I hope you are from some non-tipping culture: if you are from the US —- yuck!

OK - so I should just tip the same amount (say $5) regardless of the value of the meal, as the service provided remains the same? I'll do that next time I visit the US and ignore the requested 20% gratuity and see what response I get!

I can’t imagine not tipping someone who brought me something. Iran and ironing board gets the same tip as room service. At hotels I’ll tip housekeeping for extra towels or pillows.

I do not think the stewards assigned to Room Service ss all are voluteers.

Agreed.

I don't see how a cruise line could offer a service by depending on volunteers. It's not just breakfast or early coffee, its possibly 24/7. There has to be at least a minimum number of staff allocated to room service function.

At hotels I’ll tip housekeeping for extra towels or pillows.

I don't really have too much of a problem with tipping if that is the culture, but, tipping for towels or pillows just seems ridiculous. I have never seen a hotel advertise that the room rate includes only limited quantities of towels or pillows. Why pay (and a tip is a payment) for something that should have been supplied in the first place?

I don't really have too much of a problem with tipping if that is the culture, but, tipping for towels or pillows just seems ridiculous. I have never seen a hotel advertise that the room rate includes only limited quantities of towels or pillows. Why pay (and a tip is a payment) for something that should have been supplied in the first place?

I’m talking about extra, calling housekeeping and having someone run them up to me. I sleep with 3 pillows.

OK - so I should just tip the same amount (say $5) regardless of the value of the meal, as the service provided remains the same? I'll do that next time I visit the US and ignore the requested 20% gratuity and see what response I get!

Are you trying to not understand the concept of tipping?

Are you trying to not understand the concept of tipping?

Some people prefer to be ignorant than educated. Makes it easier to rationalize their self serving attitudes.

Now we know he isn't from the US. He's a Brit. So no surprise about the attitude.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse just to be argumentative. Since it's obvious that you are philosophically opposed to the North American style of tipping (I would never suggest that it's because you're just a tightwad who needs a pry bar to free a coin from your pocket), the answer to your problem is simple. Sail on cruiseline's that aren't operated on the American system. Don't visit the US. There are several other lines and countless other countries where you (and everyone else) will be happier.

Some people prefer to be ignorant than educated. Makes it easier to rationalize their self serving attitudes.

Now we know he isn't from the US. He's a Brit. So no surprise about the attitude.

I tip virtually everywhere that a tip is expected, and tip at the rate expected in that environment. So, in Australia or Japan, I don't tip, in Spain or Portugal I will tip a few euros and in the US I will tip around 15%.

My point was made in reference to a post regarding ham and eggs, and the relative value of the tip to the cost of the food.