Aranui 5 - Pitcairn Island cruise April 2020

Ann-thanks for sharing your photos. They took us down memory lane.  We enjoyed so much our trip on the Aranui 3 in 2012.  The Marquesas Islands have remained uniquely free of much modern influence since they are so dependent on the Aranui to deliver their supplies and other connections to the rest of the world.  It is a trip I highly recommend.  We were surprised to see how nice the “dorm”  accommodations were when another passenger invited us to see his accommodation. It was similar to a hostel.  I don’t know anything about the newer ship rooms.  

This is is a cruise I highly recommend!!!  We used a travel agency that specializes in non-traditional cruises.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I emailed them this week and got the response that it is still planned and they will let me know more this week. I don't see how they can run. The majority of passengers are French with usually a lot of Australians and New Zealanders, all of whom are pretty much in lockdown. QANTAS just suspended ALL international flights. According to an NZ Radio article of 13 March Aranui have been ordered not to carry passengers (see last paragraph of attached). For insurance purposes I'm waiting for them to cancel, I guess most people are.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/411672/coronavirus-french-polynesia-won-t-follow-france-in-closing-schools

The ban on carrying passengers ends exactly on 11 April. I think the Aranui is intentionally, unnecessarily and irresponsibly delaying cancellation and hoping more passengers will cancel at their end. It all has to do with insurance, as you quite rightly point out.

Everything else aside, you can no longer leave Australia, as you will have no insurance cover whatsoever for anything if you travel overseas against government advice.

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 7:02 PM, Tausendundeinenacht said:

The Pitcairn cruise has now officially been cancelled. A new cruise might be offered for 2021 in addition to the one already scheduled to sail.

I am on the January 5th, 2021 Pitcairn cruise. Still hope to go! They have added a 2nd Pitcairn cruise in February 20, 2021 to replace the April 2020 cancelled cruise.

They wanted a 100% single supplement for the January date. It was already an expensive cruise (and my wife was not interested in going), so I told them "no", I wasn't paying double! That's when they said one of the single cabins had recently opened up. I took it, even tho it's only a porthole cabin vs. a balcony.