Shanghai/China 144 hour visa free transit explained

Miaminice

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Thank you, some interesting tours on there too 👍. Did you visit Beijing on your visit? If so, where did you stay? TIA (sorry to ask on the sticky).

we used Chinahighlights.com and they arranged a hotel. Awesome hotel and awesome service. Highly recommendable!

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, bubbachief said:

Just got this from Celebrity regarding our November 23rd Millennium cruise one day stop in Shanghai.

Is this something new or same requirements as before?

Shanghai, China

- Currently there are 17 countries that are not required to have a visa for China including: Singapore, Japan, United Arab Emirates, Barbados, Bahamas, Ecuador, Fiji, Grenada, Mauritius, Republic of San Marino, Seychelles, Serbia, Tonga, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Belarus, Qatar, Brunei.

- Unless your nationality is visa-exempt for China, you will need to obtain a single-entry Chinese visa to go ashore.

- Please note, the Chinese Embassy has introduced fingerprint collection for visa applicants. Ensure that you allow adequate time to obtain your Chinese visa as you may need to make an additional appointment to submit your fingerprints.

Hey @bubbachief I'm booked on this same cruise and was wondering the same thing about the VISA to Shanghai. Did you end up getting one for the 1-day in Shanghai?

On 2/18/2019 at 4:05 AM, chrisgoates said:

Trip report 144hr TWOV. 
Here is my report on successful twov at Pudong Airport and Baoshan cruise port. 
I could not find a report of our particular circumstances, hence this posting.  I also read all the other relevant postings on TripAdvisor  and Cruise Critic and the official Shanghai immigration website. I accessed the IATA Timatic database via Emirates and BA  websites. I kept copies. 
We are UK residents and passport holders. Our passports met all the published requirements At the beginning of February 2019 we were flying Emirates into Pudong from Manchester via Dubai, staying at a pre booked hotel in Shanghai for 2 nights then leaving on a Celebrity cruise, first port Hong-Kong. Other members of our party were travelling BA Newcastle via Heathrow. In England to get a Chinese visa everyone must attend Manchester or London in person and the visa is valid for 2 years so TWOV is very attractive. 
We had all been pre registered on the Shanghai police.sh.cn website. I contracted Emirates but they had no facility for pre approval. We had printed copies of flight bookings, cruise itinerary, and hotel reservations. At Manchester check-in the person had not heard of 144hr TWOV but made a phone call to a supervisor who asked for our length of stay and first port and approved us for boarding. They didn't check any documents over this. At Newcastle check-in the BA employee knew of the system and asked to see proof of the cruise. All boarding passes were issued and we had no further checks for visas until arrival at Pudong. 
We were given a yellow immigration card on the aircraft but it is not needed although filling it in is practice over the information needed later. Pudong Airport is well organised. There were big signs and officials directing all Foreigners to the fingerprint machines which took prints from all fingers and thumbs and issued a receipt. Everyone then passed through a temperature scanning machine before joining the appropriate immigration queue. Although there are big signs for foreigners the ones to look out for are smaller and have 24/144 on them. They directed us to the far left of the hall. Here they have tables and and chairs to sit to fill in the blue immigration form for transit without visa. We arrived at 9pm and there was only one desk open but only 2 travellers ahead of us. The two automatic card printing machines were just beyond the hand written card tables. Both machines recognised our scanned passports and displayed our previously stored details but seemed to have run out of paper as nothing was printed out at the end. The machines have a pull-out keyboard to manually fill in your details but I don't know if you can edit a stored form. Some of our party members got in earlier and one of the machines had paper and worked well from a scanned passport but didn't seem to recognise the smartphone stored QR code.Teething problems I think. We went back to the pen and paper tables and filled the cards in manually. Make sure you have reading glasses if needed, the spaces are small to get all the information in. You need your flight details, hotel address and phone number and port of exit details. The officials check your passport, your card and your cruise and hotel documentation, take a photo and only one hand fingerprints this time. I guess you can't skip the first fingerprint machine. Although I had printed off 2 copies of all our documents it was unnecessary as the official organising the queue kept couples together and they went through the same channel and saw the same officer. Compared to some immigration officers I have met in my travelling they were friendly and understanding over languages differences. As there were only 6 passengers on our flight using Twov and it was late we were through quickly. Another flight arrived after us and so a small queue formed behind us, they then opened another desk. 
On exit at Baoshan it was busier but the wait was not excessive, again lots of staff to keep you right. One member of our party had to show his flight in details again, so keep hold of them. We don't know why this was. 
On the cruise the 144 hr TWOV was a common dinner conversation topic, lots of people from many countries had used it successfully but there was talk of someone who had got as far as the cruise port but had been stopped from boarding as they had flown to Shanghai from Hong Kong, an ineligible journey, I don't know the outcome. 
I hope this is of help and gives reassurence to anyone like me who meets all the criteria for TWOV but nevertheless is apprehensive. 
Chris 

How did you arrange the checks and pre clearance?

We have a similar circumstance. We are UK citizens flying Emirates from Dublin - Dubai - Shanghai. We arrive in Shanghai on 11th Feb, board the ship 14th Feb and sail from Shanghai on 15th Feb. Our first port of call is Japan.

So we meet the A-B-C criteria.

A number of reports have arisen lately stating people wishing to use the visa waiver have been refused entry, so we are obviously concerned.

The UK Foreign Office website directs you to an agency page, which suggests you can pre apply for visa exemption but no real clear detail on if it's preferable to have a visa or the process.The FO also refer to the increase in refusals, mainly, due to previous travel history but do not state which countries could be an issue.

All in all, we're confused and concerned we get what we need. If we do need to arrange a visa to be certain we're not adverse to doing so but need to fly to Edinburgh or London to do so.

Edited by CruisingFox27

My experience was a year ago and things will have changed.

We did not have any pre clearance, it was not available. We entered our details on line via the Shanghai Police Website but this gave no pre clearance.

The most helpful sources of up to date practical information were the Shanghai police website, the IATA Timatic database and an extremely long thread on Tripadvisor on the subject of Travel Without Visa (TWOV).

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks @chrisgoatesI've been on the IATA website, entered UK citizen, departing Ireland, transit UAE to China, staying 4 days and as far as I can  understand it states Visa required. Exemptions apply if traveling to Sanya or Haikou, which we aren't.

I've also checked the Emirates website and it states the same;

Passport holder of United Kingdom
Destination China
Transit countries/territories United Arab Emirates, Ireland  

Visa & passport information

Destination - China (CN)

Passport
Passport required.

Document Validity:
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.
Additional Information:
British passports endorsed "British National (Overseas)" are not recognized by China (People's Rep.). In order to enter China (People's Rep.), holders of "British National (Overseas)" passports are required to hold a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents (Hui Xiang Zheng, credit-card format) together with their Hong Kong ID.

Visa
Visa required.

Edited by CruisingFox27

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks @chrisgoatesI've been on the IATA website, entered UK citizen, departing Ireland, transit UAE to China, staying 4 days and as far as I can  understand it states Visa required. Exemptions apply if traveling to Sanya or Haikou, which we aren't.

I've also checked the Emirates website and it states the same;

Passport holder of United Kingdom
Destination China
Transit countries/territories United Arab Emirates, Ireland  

Visa & passport information

Destination - China (CN)

Passport
Passport required.

Document Validity:
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.
Additional Information:
British passports endorsed "British National (Overseas)" are not recognized by China (People's Rep.). In order to enter China (People's Rep.), holders of "British National (Overseas)" passports are required to hold a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents (Hui Xiang Zheng, credit-card format) together with their Hong Kong ID.

Visa
Visa required.

These documents always mention "visa required". The visa exemption rules are not considered. If applicable, a transit sticker will be glued into your passport at the airport as a "substitute" for the visa.

The exemption rule is applicable when the points explained at the beginning of this topic are given... three countries, leaving within 144 hours, staying within the region etc.

Edited by Miaminice

Remember my experience of this was a year ago and things will have changed but I agree with Hoyaheel, in your circumstances when using Timatic you enter your departure country as UAE (Dubai) your destination country as Japan and China (Shanghai) as a transit. In our case a year ago it was UAE as departure, Shanghai as transit and Hong Kong as destination. I recall this produced a huge long list of differing rules but about half way down was the bit for UK passport holders transiting Shanghai for less than 144hrs not needing a visa. If China is your destination you need a visa.

Chris

• Like 1

Many thanks folks. I've re-entered the parameters with China as our transit country and you're correct, different information.

Visa China (People's Rep.)

Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Citizen" with a confirmed onward air, cruise or train ticket to a third country within 144 hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of entry. They must:
- arrive at and depart from one of the following locations: Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing (NKG), Shanghai: Hongqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG), Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou (Baoshan) International Cruise Terminal or Shanghai Railway Station; and
- have documents required for the next destination.

Although I received an email from the Visa Service Centre who only refer to the 72 hour transit visa.

The UK Foreign Office website provides a link to obtain a visa waiver for Shanghai online, which will be my next action.

From the FO website - "If you’re transiting China, visa waivers are available in certain places. Visitors transiting through Shanghai can apply online for a 144 hour visa exemption via the Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection. "

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - 

I am a US citizen and will be flying from San Francisco and arriving in Shanghai on February 12th, 2020 the day before my 7 day cruise to Japan on RCCL Spectrum of the Seas. (Will be staying in a hotel for 1 night).

Here is my cruise itinerary:

Day 1 - Shanghai

Day 2 - Cruising

Day 3 - Kobe

Day 4 - Kobe /Osaka

Day 5 - Tokyo (Yokohama)

Day 6 - Cruising

Day 7 - Cruising

Day 8 - Shanghai

After we disembark the ship at the end of the cruise, we will be going straight from the port to the airport and flying back to the states.

Will I need purchase a visa or will a 144 hour visa free transit work with my trip? Many thanks 🙂

31 minutes ago, tybrkr17 said:

Hello all - 

I am a US citizen and will be flying from San Francisco and arriving in Shanghai on February 12th, 2020 the day before my 7 day cruise to Japan on RCCL Spectrum of the Seas. (Will be staying in a hotel for 1 night).

Day 1 - Shanghai

Day 2 - Cruising

Day 3 - Kobe

Day 4 - Kobe /Osaka

Day 5 - Tokyo (Yokohama)

Day 6 - Cruising

Day 7 - Cruising

Day 8 - Shanghai

After we disembark the ship at the end of the cruise, we will be going straight from the port to the airport and flying back to the states.

Will I need purchase a visa or will a 144 hour visa free transit work with my trip? Many thanks 🙂

You will need a visa because when you enter Shanghai the 2nd time you will have only done China - Japan -China.  That is not a transit - so not allowed.  Get a VISA

We want to try this cruise too but it is difficult for us to get a VISA.

Edited by Betty in Cozumel

5 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

You will need a visa because when you enter Shanghai the 2nd time you will have only done China - Japan -China.  That is not a transit - so not allowed.  Get a VISA

Thought so, I was thinking of getting a visa anyways for peace of mind. Thanks for confirming! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, Betty in Cozumel said:

I am currently in the process of getting a Chine Tourist Via, however I came across this 15-Day Visa-Exemption Policy for Foreign Tour Groups Entering Shanghai by Cruise :

https://shanghai.nia.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4735

Since I am sailing in and out of Shanghai, will I be eligible for this 15-Day Visa-Exemption?

Edited by tybrkr17

21 hours ago, tybrkr17 said:

I am currently in the process of getting a Chine Tourist Via, however I came across this 15-Day Visa-Exemption Policy for Foreign Tour Groups Entering Shanghai by Cruise :

https://shanghai.nia.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4735

Since I am sailing in and out of Shanghai, will I be eligible for this 15-Day Visa-Exemption?

you will need to book with a certified excursion agent like Chinahighlights.com and they will arrange the 15-day visa for you.

Edited by Miaminice

On 11/27/2019 at 1:59 PM, tybrkr17 said:

Hello all - 

Day 1 - Shanghai

Day 2 - Cruising

Day 3 - Kobe

Day 4 - Kobe /Osaka

Day 5 - Tokyo (Yokohama)

Day 6 - Cruising

Day 7 - Cruising

Day 8 - Shanghai

I received this reply from China Travel Guide:

You are perfectly eligible for visa free transit in Shanghai twice and you don't need any kind of visa.

You will take a cruise "Best Of Japan Cruise" provided by Royal Caribbean International. This itinerary is really ideally constructed to allow you visa free transit during both of your stops in Shanghai.

You will print out your flight and cruise tickets and also your accommodation booking confirmation for your overnight in Shanghai. You will also bring those printouts with you. Also, you will declare at check-in in San Francisco that you will travel to Japan via Shanghai using 24 hour visa free transit. After a short check of your tickets, you will be allowed to board the plane.

Upon your landing in Shanghai, you will approach 24 hour visa free transit counter where you will apply for a temporary entry permit that will be granted to you and you will be allowed to exit the airport.

During both of your stops in Shanghai, you will be eligible for 24 hour visa free transit because in both of your cases your entire transit time will be less than 24 hours. The reason is simple, your cruise departs at 16:30 (4:30pm) and you will arrive by plane, whether you are flying China Eastern or United, in the later afternoon hours after 16:30 (4:30pm) the day before.

Does that sounds correct? 

Edited by tybrkr17

2 hours ago, tybrkr17 said:

I received this reply from China Travel Guide:

You are perfectly eligible for visa free transit in Shanghai twice and you don't need any kind of visa.

You will take a cruise "Best Of Japan Cruise" provided by Royal Caribbean International. This itinerary is really ideally constructed to allow you visa free transit during both of your stops in Shanghai.

You will print out your flight and cruise tickets and also your accommodation booking confirmation for your overnight in Shanghai. You will also bring those printouts with you. Also, you will declare at check-in in San Francisco that you will travel to Japan via Shanghai using 24 hour visa free transit. After a short check of your tickets, you will be allowed to board the plane.

Upon your landing in Shanghai, you will approach 24 hour visa free transit counter where you will apply for a temporary entry permit that will be granted to you and you will be allowed to exit the airport.

During both of your stops in Shanghai, you will be eligible for 24 hour visa free transit because in both of your cases your entire transit time will be less than 24 hours. The reason is simple, your cruise departs at 16:30 (4:30pm) and you will arrive by plane, whether you are flying China Eastern or United, in the later afternoon hours after 16:30 (4:30pm) the day before.

Does that sounds correct? 

That is amazing, if true.  If you do it this way, please come back after your cruise and tell us if it worked.  We want to do this same cruise but it's too hard for us to get a real visa and always come in with the 144 hr TWOV.

7 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

That is amazing, if true.  If you do it this way, please come back after your cruise and tell us if it worked.  We want to do this same cruise but it's too hard for us to get a real visa and always come in with the 144 hr TWOV.

Will do! Since the cruise departs at 4:30pm on the 13th, and my flight doesn't get in until 9pm the night before on the 12th, it will for sure be under 24 hrs - plus even if they delay debarkation, I will have the travel cruise documents anyway that says we depart to Japan at 4:30.

We may get the Visa's anyways for peace of mind since we have everything prepared (just have to send it off in the mail) but its nice to know we dont *have* to get one.

But I will for sure get back to you in February and let you know if the 24 hr transit pass worked so maybe you can do this cruise too!

19 minutes ago, tybrkr17 said:

Will do! Since the cruise departs at 4:30pm on the 13th, and my flight doesn't get in until 9pm the night before on the 12th, it will for sure be under 24 hrs - plus even if they delay debarkation, I will have the travel cruise documents anyway that says we depart to Japan at 4:30.

We may get the Visa's anyways for peace of mind since we have everything prepared (just have to send it off in the mail) but its nice to know we dont *have* to get one.

But I will for sure get back to you in February and let you know if the 24 hr transit pass worked so maybe you can do this cruise too!

Don't worry too much about the 24hr TWOV.  There is also a 72 hr and 144 hr.

As Canadians we cannot mail our application in.  Must do in person as they take fingerprints.    We live in Mexico so we'd have to do a trip to Canada for about a week to just get the visa.  PITA

Is this correct or should I go to the consulate? (Its just in the city):

JUNE 3: Arrive in Shanghai 11am sail 5pm (6 hrs)

JUNE 11: B2B arrive in Shanghai 7am, sail 5pm (10 hrs)

JUNE 19: disembark in Shanghai & fly out @ noon same day (5 hrs)

Do I need a visa? I'm in Shanghai less than 24 total hours

Have you read this thread? We need to know ABC information. Where are you immediately before (A) getting to Shanghai (B) and where do you go immediately after (C) Shanghai? How long you're IN Shanghai isn't the pertinent question. And what is your passport - not all passports are TWOV eligible.

[FYI, the same question applies for both Shanghai entries - you can use TWOV repeatedly - each instance stands on its own merits]

On 11/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, Betty in Cozumel said:

Yeah .... I missed this 1st time around. That's part 1 of the cruise. Part 2 is similar but different Japanese ports. I fly into and back from San Francisco.  Will probably pick another cruise but visiting the consulate 1st. If anything like Russian Consulate then DEFINITELY a different itinerary 

A= USA

B= Japan then Shanghai 

C= return to Japan

D= USA

19 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yeah .... I missed this 1st time around. That's part 1 of the cruise. Part 2 is similar but different Japanese ports. I fly into and back from San Francisco.  Will probably pick another cruise but visiting the consulate 1st. If anything like Russian Consulate then DEFINITELY a different itinerary 

A= USA

B= Japan then Shanghai 

C= return to Japan

D= USA

B is EITHER Japan or Shanghai. The entire itinerary isn't relevant for TWOV - JUST immediately before and after.

So if you do USA-Shanghai-Japan - that is fine. If you do Japan- Shanghai - USA - that is fine.

But if you do Japan - Shanghai - Japan - THAT isn't eligible.

[and as I noted - you can do multiple TWOVs - so you could do USA-Shanghai - Japan - Shanghai - USA if you wanted. You just have to be DIFFERENT place immediately before and after Shanghai - and "different" means not another place in China too, with the caveat that Hong Kong and Macau as SARs are considered "different"]

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Thanks 1

From what I've tried to learn online is that Hong Kong does not require a visa for a 72 hr stay (maybe longer but I'll only be there for 72 hrs on a different earlier trip)

Getting a visa. Rather be safe then sorry

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

From what I've tried to learn online is that Hong Kong does not require a visa for a 72 hr stay (maybe longer but I'll only be there for 72 hrs on a different earlier trip)

Getting a visa. Rather be safe then sorry

Hong Kong does not require a visa for American passport holders staying up to 90 days. Go to the Hong Kong government website and it's quite clear. [also has data for other countries if you do not hold an American passport]

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html

• Like 1