Help please comparing chalk and cheese

We are looking at booking a cruise from Hawaii to Sydney in September 2019. There are 2 choices:

Radiance of the seas leaves on 20 September for 18 nights

Or

Ovation of the seas leaves on 30 September, for 19 nights - (but it’s not clear why Ovation takes an extra day)

As far as I can see, Ovation has more things to do on board, which would probably be better, as our kids will be 13 and 14, and there are a fair few sea days but also has an extra 2000 passengers also looking for something to do on sea days.

We are going with friends we have known for ever and know we will have a fantastic holiday regardless, but would appreciate any advice from those who have more cruise experience - which ship would you chose?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your help guys - am leaning towards ovation, it also works out better with school holidays and missing hardly any school, it is really only the number of fellow passengers that worries me. Probably because the number of people on board including crew is about the same as the number who live in our sleepy rural town !

Thanks for your help guys - am leaning towards ovation, it also works out better with school holidays and missing hardly any school, it is really only the number of fellow passengers that worries me. Probably because the number of people on board including crew is about the same as the number who live in our sleepy rural town !

The ship is so much larger with more things to do that it spreads the people out better.

Glad to hear all the positives for Ovation. We have sailed the Med on Brilliance and the Mexico cruise on Radiance and absolutely loved the ships. We were going back and forth over Radiance vs Ovation for the Sydney to Honolulu in 2020. we picked Ovation and your comments are satisfying. To the OP, our cruise is also 2 days longer then Radiance because of two port stops in New Zealand.

I've cruised on all 4 Radiance class and Anthem (sister ship to Ovation) and would pick Ovation in a heartbeat on a cruise that length. Much bigger, more activities, entertainment and dining options. Plus 2 large indoor pool areas which are great for inclement weather.

Just update - we’ve booked on Ovation and am super happy with our choice - as for the booking process - it involved our friends in UK speaking with the call centre on loudspeaker while simultaneously Skyping us while we were booking on the Aussie website - but that’s another story...

Not sure if it helps your decision, but I personally find the Oasis class less cramped/crowded than any other ship! What I'm trying to say is, I guess they've built more deck space/things to do into the ships as they've got bigger and bigger to a point where the passenger loading is seemingly irrelevant?

I've done a 17 nighter around NZ & Oz so not only am I envious, but that cruise itinerary sounds/looks amazing!

Not sure if it helps your decision, but I personally find the Oasis class less cramped/crowded than any other ship! What I'm trying to say is, I guess they've built more deck space/things to do into the ships as they've got bigger and bigger to a point where the passenger loading is seemingly irrelevant?

I've done a 17 nighter around NZ & Oz so not only am I envious, but that cruise itinerary sounds/looks amazing!

Thanks IzznOll17 We actually booked it last night and am super excited that I hardly slept! I can’t wait.

Are you sure you really want to do this?

That is a very long time to be on a cruise, especially for kids.

What will you do the whole time?

I love cruises, but I would never consider anything that long.

Aussies are used to long holidays because we are a long way from lots of places and get a minimum of 4 weeks annual leave. We did Sydney to Hawaii on Rhapsody (a much smaller ship) with our then 14 year old and she loved it. I think she even cried when we had to get off the ship :D

Let’s hope so - already booked - kids will be 13 and 14 so they will be fine... hopefully!

I’d love to be on a ship that long. I can’t wait to do it one day.

I’d love to be on a ship that long. I can’t wait to do it one day.

Thanks - Me too - am so looking forward to it! Plus we are going with some great company, and imo, so long as you are with good company, the destination is just a bonus, so I’m ignoring the naysayers - they don’t have to come!

I have never been on Ovation but sailed on Anthem a few years ago. My teenage children really loved it because there was so much for them to do. Also the ship had quite a young crowd with hang out spots designed for young people.

I enjoyed it as well but as an older person who likes a quieter experience, if it was just me, I would have preferred one of the older ships as many of the on board activities didn't appeal.

Aussies are used to long holidays because we are a long way from lots of places and get a minimum of 4 weeks annual leave. We did Sydney to Hawaii on Rhapsody (a much smaller ship) with our then 14 year old and she loved it. I think she even cried when we had to get off the ship :D

Totally agree. To make overseas travel worth it for us Aussies we need to plan to be away for longer. I did 16 nights on the rhapsody and that was my favourite cruise.

The repositioning cruises go to some of the most amazing places plus you get sea days to relax and just enjoy cruising.