Scenic Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

candf

The Danube River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary. The following cruises may be affected:

• Jewels of Europe (Tour code STC) – September 3, 12, 17 (both directions) 2018
  • Gems of the Danube (Tour code NBU) – September 13 2018The Rhine River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary. The following cruises may be affected:
  • Romantic Rhine & Moselle (Tour code AMBA) – September 5, 10, 22 2018
  • Rhine Highlights (Tour code AMBC) – September 3, 5 2018

I asked Scenic Canada on Facebook,found I get answers quickly that way. This is what that sent me

Thanks to all who have supplying current information on Scenic Cruises and changes in their itineraries as a result of water levels on the Danube and Rhine. I had hoped for more information directly from Scenic, once it became apparent that the Jasper would not be available for the Romantic Rhine and Moselle Cruise, Sept.5 from Amsterdam. Your input has helped.

I totally agree with you, I find it upsetting that they are not addressing the changes that have been made in the past few weeks. I booked this cruise in April of 2017 and have been saving for the last 18 months, it’s not every year I go on a trip like this.

I sent a message to Scenic asking to please let me know how they are handling the current low water issue on the Danube and Rhine. This is some of what I had to say:

"I understand that the weather is out of our control but I would like a direct answer on how Scenic is handling the situations as I’m sure there have been serval itineraries that have been altered.

Can you please be honest and let me know the specific details of some of the current itineraries that have been altered and how they were altered.

I understand it’s a difficult situation but I would like to at least know the options if the itinerary is altered."

Thanks for pointing this out. But no thanks to Scenic for the actual content, which is laughable. For example, such phrases as "if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary" and "cruises may be affected." Why can't they just come out and openly state that some cruises *are* affected, and list how. Does it really make sense to claim that they will contact all passengers "as a priority" rather than giving passengers an easy way to look at the info themselves without waiting for Scenic to get around to contacting them?

Personally, we're booked on the Sept. 12 Jewels of Europe trip, and I find it hard to believe that it isn't listed as a cruise that "may" be affected. Sure, I'm hoping for significant rain between now and then, but it's crazy to not also consider the possibility that it won't happen. So it would be helpful to know how they're modifying itineraries on their current cruises, just to give upcoming passengers some idea about possible changes. I don't expect Scenic to make any firm changes this far in advance, but to not even admit there's a possibility? That's disrespectful to their passengers' intelligence...

I sent a message to Scenic asking to please let me know how they are handling the current low water issue on the Danube and Rhine.

My cruise (Sep. 12 Jewels of Europe) is now on the "may be affected" list. But, of course, there's still nothing listed saying what's actually going on. I'm not going to bother trying to contact Scenic and try to get a straight answer--based on other comments here, it's a waste of time. Instead, I watching where the various Scenic ships are going, and doing my best to guess what that means for my itinerary.

At the moment, especially with the current rain in Europe, I'm cautiously optimistic. It seems like ships are able to handle their entire Rhine journeys now. So the Opal is now headed up the Rhine to Basel, and will probably be able to return to Amsterdam as scheduled, so we'll be able to board on Sep. 12. Similarly, it seems like clear sailing as far as Regensburg. I'm hoping rain in the next week or so will be sufficient to open the upper Danube, but if not, I'm guessing a ship swap to the Amber or Jasper would happen at Passau. If that's the only disruption, I'll count myself lucky.

But, of course, that's all my own guesswork, because Scenic sure isn't keeping its passengers informed.

Thanks Doug. We have heard nothing from Scenic to date. I have called and their agents have no information for us. Your comment is appreciated.

We will be going on the same cruise: "Scenic Jasper Sept 5 Amsterdam to Basel". Just got off the phone with Scenic. The rep gave me a standard corporate answer: "no change at this point and would have notified us should there be any changes, etc." I told her Jasper is 5 days behind schedule and will not make it to Amsterdam on Sept 5th. She gave me the same recorded company answer again!

Had some luck contacted Scenic via email. First the rep said we may go on Scenic Ruby, now it could be Scenic Jade. We will find out on Sept 5th. I don't want to go on a bus/land tour and I don't want to go on a multi-vessels cruise either.

Thanks Doug. We have heard nothing from Scenic to date. I have called and their agents have no information for us. Your comment is appreciated.

Looks like Jasper is not going to be in Amsterdam on Sept 5th, Scenic Jade will be our ship instead. We are also booked on Sept 5-19 Amsterdam to Basel on Scenic Jasper or its replacement.

Posted this on the Rhine thread, but thought I would post here too. We will hopefully be boarding Scenic Jewel on Sept. 3rd Basel to Amsterdam. Leaving shortly for the airport in Toronto to Zurich. I’ll report on conditions once we board. Thanks again to all for your helpful posts.

Colleen

We are currently in Vienna it has been raining most of today and looks like it will tomorrow as well. I have no idea how much, but it has to be good news for the Danube. We saw the Scenic Crystal docked here today. It does appear that the river conditions can change rapidly meaning that Scenic likely can’t tell you more than a couple of days in advance what the conditions likely will be. This doesn’t excuse their horrid lack of communication and inconsistency of answers. Scenic, don’t make stuff up!!! Make sure everyone who communicates with the guests have the same facts. If you don’t know say so. If you know a ship can’t make it to the point of embarkation say so. If there is a possibility of a ship swap or a bus say so. Your guests are paying a lot of money for these trips and for many the planning and investment is extensive. Scenic, put yourselves in your customers shoes and act like you really care!!

We are currently in Vienna it has been raining most of today and looks like it will tomorrow as well. I have no idea how much, but it has to be good news for the Danube. We saw the Scenic Crystal docked here today. It does appear that the river conditions can change rapidly meaning that Scenic likely can’t tell you more than a couple of days in advance what the conditions likely will be. This doesn’t excuse their horrid lack of communication and inconsistency of answers. Scenic, don’t make stuff up!!! Make sure everyone who communicates with the guests have the same facts. If you don’t know say so. If you know a ship can’t make it to the point of embarkation say so. If there is a possibility of a ship swap or a bus say so. Your guests are paying a lot of money for these trips and for many the planning and investment is extensive. Scenic, put yourselves in your customers shoes and act like you really care!!

tou·ché

Well said taxare. Our first river cruise is upcoming and we are experiencing the same issues you and others have so well articulated. It is going to be hard to take another Scenic cruise or recommend Scenic to others if this is how they treat their customers.

This doesn’t excuse their horrid lack of communication and inconsistency of answers. Scenic, don’t make stuff up!!! Make sure everyone who communicates with the guests have the same facts. If you don’t know say so. If you know a ship can’t make it to the point of embarkation say so. If there is a possibility of a ship swap or a bus say so. Your guests are paying a lot of money for these trips and for many the planning and investment is extensive. Scenic, put yourselves in your customers shoes and act like you really care!!

Hear, hear!

tou·ché

Just a word of warning, CC messages must start off in Engliah and not a foreign langauge. You can use a foreign language after starting off in Englsih.

You could get a couple of "Bad Points" - know from experience.:halo:

We are booked on the Scenic Amber Budapest to Nuremberg cruise on October 11, and must say that I am very concerned about the poor customer service provided by Scenic Cruises. I fully understand that they are very busy trying to jockey passengers between boats, coaches, etc, but at the minimum they should respond to queries by their customers.

Update on Scenic's Sailing Conditions website.

Yesterday the Sept. 10 Romantic Rhine & Moselle cruise was listed as one that might experience itinerary changes. Today that Sept. 10th cruise has been removed. Looks like things are improving! I hope those leaving on Sept. 3rd and 5th have a great time with no disruptions.

I would agree about the concerns over Scenic's apparent lack of customer appreciation. reading the general threads about water levels it looks like Avalon come out well in keeping people advised and how they handle disruptions does anyone else have other views? This is only our second river cruise, first was APT in Myanmar on an AMA boat which was excellent but not representative of European cruises so we are looking ahead as to what else may be our choice next year if we enjoy this.

Very good news this morning--the tracking site shows that the Jasper is moving upstream from Vilshofen. Assuming she continues, I think that will be the first passage of a Scenic ship between Passau and Regensburg in over a month. Maybe things are finally getting back to normal.

Keep the rain coming!

I think we’re on the same cruise, are you on the Amber?

Yes, we are supposed to be, but with all the jockeying of ships who knows. It is good news that the Jasper may make it through to Regensburg. The Amber is headed that way as well after it leaves Budapest.

Wow, after many ocean cruises, this is our first river cruise and I have spent the last month checking water levels.

Normally I worry about snowstorms affecting air arrangements.

In any case, I hope that the rivers flow and the boats sail, so that we all can enjoy our adventures.

Thanks to all who have kept us informed!

Just thought I would mention to those travelling soon to check your junk email. What prompted me to check ours this morning, (Sept 3), is when I was checking to see how the Jewel was doing on the following website http://www.anyoverip.de/scenic/index.php?ship=Jewel&d=03&m=9&y=2018, Jewel was showing that it was still in Strasbourg.

Here is an excerpt of our email from Scenic that we received on July 1st late afternoon.

“Due to lock delays on the Rhine, Scenic Jewel will be unable to reach Basel in time for embarkation of guests 3 September Rhine Highlights River Cruise.

Due to this delay it will be necessary to alter our guests embarkation and sailing schedule.

Guests joining our Rhine Highlights River Cruise, will join Scenic Jewel in Strasbourg, not Basel as scheduled.”

It certainly was not Scenic’s fault that their email went into our junk email, but it was interesting that nothing was mentioned to us from the Scenic rep that picked us up at Zurich airport to take us to the hotel that there was a deviation for embarkation.