Scenic Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

candf

So sorry to see this. You would think a phone call would for this type of information would have happened. We are flying out today to catch the cruise in Basel on the 5th. I did check spam...nothing yet. BUT, for those that had not a chance to check email, thinking it is is Basel, will miss all information. Thanks for the update

So sorry to see this. You would think a phone call would for this type of information would have happened. We are flying out today to catch the cruise in Basel on the 5th. I did check spam...nothing yet. BUT, for those that had not a chance to check email, thinking it is is Basel, will miss all information. Thanks for the update

The Opal appears to be on schedule for arrival in Basel on September 5. Hopefully you didn’t receive an email from Scenic because none was needed.

I just read on another thread that the Jewel boarded in Strasbourg due to a traffic jam between there and Basel.

If you have time please post an update after you get there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jeb_bud

Arrived in Strasbourg rather than Basel. Not a bad journey at all. Only took an additional 1-1/2 hours. Apparently the locks were very backed up and this worked out to be the most prompt way to get us onboard. We are staying overnight in Strasbourg. Unfortunately, we are in an industrial area, but we have beautiful swans as we look out of the balcony and no ship docked beside us. No rain insight as the sun is shining at the moment. The Jewel is beautiful and the staff are looking after us royally. Apparently the cruise from Amsterdam the week before us went well except for having to get off at Strasbourg rather than Basel. Ran into someone who was on the cruise prior to us and said we are going to love it! Will know more info after port talk with the cruise director tonight.

Edited by candf

Well, unfortunately we only left our home phone number with Scenic and by the time they sent their email we were already at the airport and didn’t check emails for junk until a couple days later. It wouldn’t have made any difference with flight anyway. We had a lovely time in Zurich and look forward to our time on the Jewel. Hopefully by the 5th all will be good with the locks. Hope you and others have a wonderful time on your vacation.

Candf, thanks for the updates. It is good to hear you are happy with the ship and the service. Hopefully the rest of your journey will be delightful! We are scheduled to board the Jewel in Amsterdam on Sept. 10 for the Romantic Rhine & Moselle itinerary. Will continued to check back on C C for any further info you are able to provide.

Two early to say what the river levels will be.

I agree that there's no telling what the river level will be in two weeks. But as of right now, the Danube is better than it has been in a month or so. The Jasper transited from Passau to Regensburg a couple of days ago, and the Crystal is in the process of that same transit right now. Ships have been getting in and out of Budapest for the past week or more, after being unable to do so in mid-August.

So let's all keep our fingers crossed that the good news continues!

Anyone have any news on the Danube levels ? We're heading to Prague on 9/16 for a 3 day stay before boarding the Scenic Amber in Nuremberg heading to Budapest.

Thanks !

We'll be on the same cruise, it may or may not be the Amber. River levels are low but passable as of this week. The Jasper and Crystal made it through past Regensburg from Passau. Keep up the rain dancing! See you on board!

As a reminder we are on the Pearl rather than the Amber for Budapest to Nuremberg. We were notified today that we will not be able to go further than Regensburg where we will be tomorrow. So we will be disembarking in Regensburg rather than Nuremberg. We have had no other swaps or stoppages up to this point. If anything changes tomorrow will post something. Safe travels to everyone. I will post a review upon our return.

We were notified today that we will not be able to go further than Regensburg where we will be tomorrow.

Were you told the reason you are unable to go further than Regensburg? Was it low water, traffic, or lock delays?

If it's low water, that obviously of great concern to other cruises trying to get between Amsterdam and Budapest. But if it's traffic/lock delays, that sounds like more of a one-off situation, like with the Jewel. (The Jewel ended/started its most recent cruise in Strasbourg instead of Basel because of a projected 7-hour lock delay. But the Opal is proceeding today from Strasbourg to Basel, indicating the problem wasn't ongoing.)

Sorry to hear that you're not able to finish your cruise as scheduled.

As a reminder we are on the Pearl rather than the Amber for Budapest to Nuremberg. We were notified today that we will not be able to go further than Regensburg where we will be tomorrow. So we will be disembarking in Regensburg rather than Nuremberg. We have had no other swaps or stoppages up to this point. If anything changes tomorrow will post something. Safe travels to everyone. I will post a review upon our return.

That's surprising as the Jasper just went through yesterday from Regensburg passed Nuremburg and Crystal is on the same route now, 1/2 way between Regensburg and Nuremburg. Good luck!

Edited by mfreilly
spelling

Were you told the reason you are unable to go further than Regensburg? Was it low water, traffic, or lock delays?

If it's low water, that obviously of great concern to other cruises trying to get between Amsterdam and Budapest. But if it's traffic/lock delays, that sounds like more of a one-off situation, like with the Jewel. (The Jewel ended/started its most recent cruise in Strasbourg instead of Basel because of a projected 7-hour lock delay. But the Opal is proceeding today from Strasbourg to Basel, indicating the problem wasn't ongoing.)

Sorry to hear that you're not able to finish your cruise as scheduled.

Doug, it sounded like lock issues.The CD said the “river authorities”asked the captain not to proceed due to the locks. You raise a good point, thanks.

Doug, it sounded like lock issues.The CD said the “river authorities”asked the captain not to proceed due to the locks. You raise a good point, thanks.

How did Scenic handle ending early in Regensburg? Are you spending one more night on the boat there or are they putting you up in a hotel in Nuremberg? We are scheduled to start this cruise in Nuremberg on the 20th. Thanks

How did Scenic handle ending early in Regensburg? Are you spending one more night on the boat there or are they putting you up in a hotel in Nuremberg? We are scheduled to start this cruise in Nuremberg on the 20th. Thanks

Looks like Pearl is heading back downstream quickly towards Passau. Maybe repositioning?

Looks like Pearl is heading back downstream quickly towards Passau. Maybe repositioning?

Uh-oh. steamboats recently posted in the Danube thread that the Pfelling water level is dropping fast. I wonder if the Pearl is anticipating that Regensburg->Passau is again going to be impassible in the next day, and is trying to get back downstream before that happens. Let's hope that's not the case.

Unfortunately, the forecast for the next week doesn't show much rain in the area. Time to start the rain dance again...

Uh-oh. steamboats recently posted in the Danube thread that the Pfelling water level is dropping fast. I wonder if the Pearl is anticipating that Regensburg->Passau is again going to be impassible in the next day, and is trying to get back downstream before that happens. Let's hope that's not the case.

Unfortunately, the forecast for the next week doesn't show much rain in the area. Time to start the rain dance again...

This looks like the low point at Straubing...

graphik.php?cache=hnd&statnr=10074009&thema=hochwasser.meldestufen&wert=wasserstand&trend=true&geber=0

It has been an interesting day and disembarking tomorrow morning. To recap, this morning we were told we would spend the day and evening in Regensburg. We would take a bus to Nuremberg tomorrow morning for a tour and lunch and then the scheduled bus to Prague. At 10:30 this morning the cruise director finds our walking tour groups in Regensburg and tells us we have to be on the ship by 1pm as we are sailing to Passau. Apparently the water levels have dropped rapidly and as Doug said they didn’t want to get stuck in Regensburg. We will arrive in Passau at 1am local time. Tomorrow for those going to Prague we will not go to Nuremberg but will be bussed directly to Prague. So, if you are embarking on the Pearl tomorrow it will be in Passau. I hope they notified those passengers.

We'll be on the same cruise, it may or may not be the Amber. River levels are low but passable as of this week. The Jasper and Crystal made it through past Regensburg from Passau. Keep up the rain dancing! See you on board!

Fantastic ! See you on board

Eileen

Just a little update. We had to dock in Worms rather than Mannheim as the water levels were too low. Excursions were to Heidelberg during the day and concert at Schwetzingen Palace during evening. Both were well done. Captain says we should be able to go thru the Rhine Gorge. Fingers crossed.....

It has been an interesting day and disembarking tomorrow morning. To recap, this morning we were told we would spend the day and evening in Regensburg. We would take a bus to Nuremberg tomorrow morning for a tour and lunch and then the scheduled bus to Prague. At 10:30 this morning the cruise director finds our walking tour groups in Regensburg and tells us we have to be on the ship by 1pm as we are sailing to Passau. Apparently the water levels have dropped rapidly and as Doug said they didn’t want to get stuck in Regensburg. We will arrive in Passau at 1am local time. Tomorrow for those going to Prague we will not go to Nuremberg but will be bussed directly to Prague. So, if you are embarking on the Pearl tomorrow it will be in Passau. I hope they notified those passengers.

Or possibly boarding the Crystal in Nuremberg then a swap to the Pearl somewhere in between.

My final post before my review. Docked in Passau overnight, passengers going to Prague did not go to Nuremberg for their tour. The bus trip from Passau to Prague took 4.75 hours with a half hour lunch and bathroom break. They were preparing for passengers in Passau when we left. Smooth sailing to all of you. I unfortunately wouldn’t expect Scenic corporate communications to improve, they are simply terrible.

My final post before my review. Docked in Passau overnight, passengers going to Prague did not go to Nuremberg for their tour. The bus trip from Passau to Prague took 4.75 hours with a half hour lunch and bathroom break. They were preparing for passengers in Passau when we left. Smooth sailing to all of you. I unfortunately wouldn’t expect Scenic corporate communications to improve, they are simply terrible.

Thank you for your updates, enjoy the rest of your trip!