Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

Spotted on the P&O website.

New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just received an email to that effect too. Now I am wondering if we will find that our cruise booked for next July will be subject to a price increase to cover this.

Are they allowed to increase the price of a cruise already booked? I hope not, I am booked on Azura next Aug.

Will be interested to see what happens with the prices after May. I am already booked for next Aug with just the balance to pay - I assume they can't increase the price for those cruises already booked after May.

Will be interested to see what happens with the prices after May. I am already booked for next Aug with just the balance to pay - I assume they can't increase the price for those cruises already booked after May.

Flo, apparently not, this is a reply from P&O a few minutes ago on FB.

Hi Philip, we are not planning on increasing any of our fares. The discretionary daily Service Charge is no longer applicable. ‘Tipping’ staff is neither required nor expected but if you choose to do so then

that's entirely your decision. We hope this helps [emoji846]

That is a seismic change.

Are they allowed to increase the price of a cruise already booked? I hope not, I am booked on Azura next Aug.

I don't think they can. But even if they could it wouldn't be worth their while. Think of the admin costs, never mind the passenger reaction.

I think the majority if cruisers want the added service charge included in the fare and not added on whilst cruising. I can only assume that this decision has been taken due to many people taking the gratuities off. I certainly hope that this is not a negative move for the hard working staff.

Have received an email this morning advising they are removing the daily service charge from May 2019 starting with A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter. Makes me wonder what percentage of passengers have been cancelling these charges to bring about such a change.

I got the email this morning.

I think that prices will probably rise slightly to cover the loss of tips but I don't mind that as it means that everyone pays their share.

The company have said that this will not happen, on their FB Page.

Anyway we have 5 cruises booked after this date with the price fixed.

Actually we will never know with the new cruises have not been released for booking next month so we cannot see if there is an increase.

Afraid I can't believe that P&O will not recoup this in some way.

If they were making as much money as has been alleged from the proportion of services charges/gratuities that were reputedly not being distributed to staff but going direct into P&O coffers, it will represent a substantial loss.

I, too, hope the staff will not fall foul of this move, but if it is what it says on the tin - then hooray!

I just got the same email. It's good news for those already booked after May next year! However I do certainly believe it can increase prices for new bookings- when NCL went premium AI the prices shot up.

However, very good news for us at least as we have 3 cabins booked next August with family so that's £98 per couple saved.

Edit- just checked the current pricing of our Fjords cruise and it's £173pp more expensive than when we booked. However I haven't been monitoring prices so I have no idea if that's an overnight hike or not.

I got the same E-Mail and am wondering if the discretionary Service charge will be removed but that it will be replaced by a Compulsory Service added to your on board account.

The wording of the email makes me very much doubt that - 'relax knowing it's all taken care of'. It seems they are going the TUI/NCL UK route of becoming more inclusive in their fares. I have no doubt that will help attract new cruises- I know when booking our family cruise, my parents who are first time cruisers found it a little hard to understand.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

You only needed to look at the long line of people with "that form" ready to hand in to realise that discretionary tipping hasn't been working. I would much rather it was rolled in to the price so that all passengers had an equal cost that was paid. Fair wages and a fair cruise cost.

It is the logical thing to do, from reports from crew and other sources the majority of the passengers removed these optional fees. So they have not been working customers are becoming much smarter and harder to fool. One of three things will happen a) they will allow gust to tip the crew members they want, as they see fit or b) they will change from a optional daily gratuity fee to a mandatory daily service fee or they will just raise the price of the cruise as needed.

No they can't increase the price of the cruise as you've got a contract. Their Ts and Cs do allow for it but essentially under force majore and it would give you the right to cancel with full refund. Aything else could be challenged in law. In short, they won't increase the fares.

This is coming at a really interesting time as in 14 days we see the new Iona base fares. Given that the aim of the new ship is the family market, and the 20-40 age bracket are seen as less likely to tip, this appears to be a complication removed.

Of course, given that on cruises of 3 days or more you could usually get OBS broadly equal to the gratuities, I wonder if we will move to a pricing system whereby OBS is not given by default and a reduced level given to higher grade cabins.

This then allows P&O to move into the field of other operators by offering free drinks packages or OBS as extras. Where that would leave free coach travel and free parking, I have no idea but P&O are rather unusual in offering this in the market.

Those who do receive outstanding service above the norm and want to say thank you can still tip individually.

I think this is a bold move and should be applauded.

Flo, apparently not, this is a reply from P&O a few minutes ago on FB.

Hi Philip, we are not planning on increasing any of our fares. The discretionary daily Service Charge is no longer applicable. ‘Tipping’ staff is neither required nor expected but if you choose to do so then

that's entirely your decision. We hope this helps [emoji846]

That is a seismic change.

It seems we will not be expected to tip at all - as Marella do. I have a friend who went on a Marella cruise and said that no-one tips on there.

It is the logical thing to do, from reports from crew and other sources the majority of the passengers removed these optional fees. So they have not been working customers are becoming much smarter and harder to fool. One of three things will happen a) they will allow gust to tip the crew members they want, as they see fit or b) they will change from a optional daily gratuity fee to a mandatory daily service fee or they will just raise the price of the cruise as needed.