Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

Blimey Dai. You might need to change that TA that you rave about so much ;). Just checked our last 10 P&O cruises (prior to the 2 x 2020 bookings) and we had OBC plus free parking on all of them. As with annieuk, we have the option to opt out of free parking and get even more OBC, but we have only done that once, where the sacrificed OBC for parking was double the cost of what we secured parking for (with an alternative to CPS).

Dai, for clarity, I should say that whilst I have the details of every cruise we have ever taken (price, OBC, parking etc), I haven't retained the booking dates and not all of those 10 cruises will have been booked immediately at launch (which is really the core issue here), but most in recent years have been, as we have discussed several times.

The situation that you describe has happened for years. Price goes up, OBC goes up, price goes down, OBC goes down. The issue we are focusing on is OBC at launch.

Ok, I guess that's put me in my place. Enjoy the rest of your discussion.

That's not always the case. We booked a 28 night cruise for 2019 on launch in September 2017 and our OBC is £115 per person in a balcony cabin. Whilst the OBC has gone up since launch, currently £340 per person, the price has increased substantially.
As a mainly RCCL cruiser,for the last 3 years our P&O cruises have been 5,5,3,2 and shortly 2 more nights.

Our obc has more than paid for autogratuities which was my point so for P&O to stop autogratuities I expect the obc amount in future will reflect this.

We always fly down to Southampton from Newcastle so never needed parking or coach travel.

Apologies. I didn't mean that to come over as badly as it sounded. The joys of online communication.

Ok, thanks, no offence taken. The main point I was (not very well) trying to make was that for my launch booking the OBC did not cover the auto gratuities.

Dai, for clarity, I should say that whilst I have the details of every cruise we have ever taken (price, OBC, parking etc), I haven't retained the booking dates and not all of those 10 cruises will have been booked immediately at launch (which is really the core issue here), but most in recent years have been, as we have discussed several times.

That was my next question. Booking on release and booking at any time after that are different. When I have looked at better OBC/Car Parking deals the price of the cruise has gone up. So I suspect we are not comparing like with like.

As I say you do not get those deals if booking on day one but the price will be lower. And of course I actually get a cabin, be it suite or adapted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, thanks, no offence taken. The main point I was (not very well) trying to make was that for my launch booking the OBC did not cover the auto gratuities.

Yes, it is indeed true that OBC fluctuates wildly, along with prices. For a number of years now, we have found that the net price (cruise price less OBC) is best at launch. OBC has gone up (sometimes double OBC promotions), but the associated base price hike has still made the 'net' launch price the better deal. Perhaps we've been lucky, but we've always managed free parking plus OBC and sometimes the OBC has been quite a lot. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens to 2020 prices going forward. I have a horrible feeling that the tide may turn and those of us who have booked at launch may find the 'net' price dropping in some cases. I hope I'm wrong (having booked two 2020 cruises) but with very low OBC or parking and, in some cases (as per the Aurora cruise I have booked) much higher base prices than I experienced last year, I do wonder.

As it happens in this case you both be right. Over the last 3/4 years the amount of OBC received differed as per your cabin grade. So an inside may only get £30 and a suite £150. So if you are in an inside cabin your OBC would hardly ever cover your tips.

However this is for first day only offers given later may be different.

That was my next question. Booking on release and booking at any time after that are different. When I have looked at better OBC/Car Parking deals the price of the cruise has gone up. So I suspect we are not comparing like with like.

As I say you do not get those deals if booking on day one but the price will be lower. And of course I actually get a cabin, be it suite or adapted.

As per my last post Dai, I think we have been in agreement for some time that the best 'net' price is at launch and we have done this for the past few years. For whatever reason (and maybe we've just been lucky), we have managed OBC in addition to free parking, even booking at launch, but not this year. As I have said previously, if I was that bothered about it I wouldn't have booked, but I do find it very interesting.

My contact at P&O told me that staff were all briefed at a meeting that prices were not rising as a result of the abolition of auto service charges. However, when I said that the OBC v parking offer seemed very poor this time the response I had was 'all my regulars are saying the same thing and I can't say that I disagree'. I appreciate that I am in what seems to be in a small minority on here that books direct with P&O, so in that regard I guess we aren't comparing like with like, but I am comparing my launch day deals this year versus my launch day deals last year.

The issue of OBC at launch or later, along with fluid pricing, certainly muddies the water when trying to make price comparisons. But we have booked an HB or HC grade accessible balcony cabin on Azura/Ventura regularly for the past 8 years, and, on launch, since select came in for a 14 day cruise the OBC has been £65/75pp, or free coach or parking.

Sometimes of course you might get a welcome back gift, if your last cruise was within 2/3 months, generally £50pp, and this can cause further confusion for price comparisons.

So we are probably all right, but just in case you are not aware P&O have advised my TA that fluid pricing will not kick in, on 2020 cruises, until after they go on general sale. So if you want a summer 2020 cheap launch deal, make sure you are pre registered with P&O, or your TA, and don't come complaining to me if you don't, and then the cruise you want suddenly increases in price.

I am stunned at your OBS of £65/70 for 14 day cruises? That is appauling and on all of our last 5 cruises of between 14-17 days we have had minimum of £225 and this year Oriana for Outside Cabin we had £425pp Select Fare. If we are not happy with OBS we simply ask them to increase it and generally P&O usually have!! If you do not ask you do not get but saying that the starting point was always nearer £200pp before we ask for more. Then again we do not book at launch so I guess these larger OBS come to entice customers to book once initial excitement of launch is over.

I had a strange thing happen on the last one we booked. The OBC for an inside cabin was clearly £55 pppn. My friend who is Mediterrean got £55. However, we got £270 for the cabin which is £135 each. I am sure you don't get more OBC for being Caribbean level, so wonder why that is?

I am stunned at your OBS of £65/70 for 14 day cruises? That is appauling and on all of our last 5 cruises of between 14-17 days we have had minimum of £225 and this year Oriana for Outside Cabin we had £425pp Select Fare. If we are not happy with OBS we simply ask them to increase it and generally P&O usually have!! If you do not ask you do not get but saying that the starting point was always nearer £200pp before we ask for more. Then again we do not book at launch so I guess these larger OBS come to entice customers to book once initial excitement of launch is over.

I would guarantee that the price you paid sometime after launch would have been higher than the launch price with all the discounts. Therefore you had paid for your extra OBC with a higher fare.

Movement of OBC is a marketing tool.

All my cruises are booked at launch when prices are at their lowest and also subject to a minimum of 5% discount, this year 10%, but with minimal OBC.

Once past the launch period, fluid pricing normally increases prices, but OBC does increase as well, but rarely fully compensates for the much lower fares at launch.

If you managed to average £200 OBC during the launch period, or indeed persuaded P&O to increase it, then you are doing extremely well.

End of the day nothing is free whether it be free parking/coach or OBC it is factored into the cruise price. Like what has already been said those that have had higher OBC amounts usually have paid more for the cruise. When we first started cruising with P&O in 2000 and for quiet a few years there was never any free OBC or parking/coach travel and the cruises were a lot dearer than they are currently.

End of the day nothing is free whether it be free parking/coach or OBC it is factored into the cruise price. Like what has already been said those that have had higher OBC amounts usually have paid more for the cruise. When we first started cruising with P&O in 2000 and for quiet a few years there was never any free OBC or parking/coach travel and the cruises were a lot dearer than they are currently.

I agree, at the end of the day it doesn't matter which pocket you pay from the price is what it is and if you are happy to pay, job done. We have just pre registered for Iona, Basic inside on early saver £649pp net. Select fare £653 with £30pp OBC net £623pp, so that is a no brainer, if you then deduct £49pp for old tips cost that is £574pp net for 7 nights on a new ship to one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Good point and on another thread someone has kept list of all their prices they paid for last decade and more. Cruising is cheaper now than 15 years ago. It's great for us due to the massive competition out there all wanting slice of market. Won't be long before Virgin Voyages joins the list of cruise companies.....if you aren't fussy which company you cruise with then they'll always be bargains in the future.

I've just done a dummy booking for our cruise next April which is £500 pp more than it was when I booked. I chose OBC and it's £120 for 2 people, so that's still only £60 pp and we got £135 each! So prices going up does not mean more OBC always.

I've just done a dummy booking for our cruise next April which is £500 pp more than it was when I booked. I chose OBC and it's £120 for 2 people, so that's still only £60 pp and we got £135 each! So prices going up does not mean more OBC always.

There is a chance though that around the 12 week period prior to the cruise when there might be cancellations and if there is good availability they might release a Saver fare which might be a lot lower than what it currently is. Thats the gamble we all take I have had some great late Saver deals £499 for 14 nts on Azura in the past but have also booked at launch date or very early on and been totally ripped off. Booked a balcony on Arcadia in 2007 and with still some time before sail date sold suite prices for less than I had paid for a balcony.