Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Hi Joe! Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds intriguing! Will have to take a peek at that! And yes we did get the pleasure of meeting Roberta! She was an amazing lady and we were very sorry to hear of her passing!

That Royal Geographic Society tour sounds incredible! We disembark Silver Wind in London next month and it is offered on our cruise too. We are most definitely signed up! I will try to remember to report on the tour when we get back. :cool:

Anyone else receive details of the world cruise overland trip yet? After 2 months at sea it will be a chance to reclaim our land legs.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Silver Whisper in January for World Cruise 2019 – the Tale of Tales.

As a valued World Cruise guest, we are pleased to offer you a complimentary overland experience during your voyage. As the ship sails between Osaka and Tokyo, you will have an opportunity to explore the beautiful history and culture of Japan on land. Below are the details of this curated program. To participate, simply fill out the following form and you will be added to the list of program participants. We kindly ask you to advise if you will participate by 31 August 2018.

Thursday 28 February 2019 – Osaka to Kyoto

• Disembark Silver Whisper in Osaka and drive to the ancient capital of Nara
  • Visit the Todajii Temple and marvel at the 45ft high Bronze Buddha
  • Enjoy lunch at the old fashioned Nara Hotel
  • Drive to Kyoto and visit Kinkagujii Temple (Golden Pavilion)
  • Partake in a special Japanese dinner with a Geiko performance
  • Overnight stay at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Friday 01 March 2019 – Kyoto

• Witness an authentic Japanese cultural experience in Konkai Komyo-ji
  • Participate in a traditional tea ceremony and receive a special blessing
  • Visit the Kyoto Nijyo Castle and Nishiki Market
  • Enjoy dinner in a selection of local restaurants to choose from
  • Overnight stay at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Saturday 02 March 2019 – Kyoto to Tokyo

• Visit Tenriu-jen Temple
  • Experience a meditation class with a head monk
  • Enjoy a special vegetarian lunch prepared by the monks
  • Travel first class by Shinkansen (bullet train) from Kyoto to Tokyo
  • Rejoin Silver Whisper in Tokyo

Programme is an indication of planned activities and subject to change.

threeforthree...are you talking about the land trip between Osaka and Tokyo? The one described in turtlemichael's post above? If yes, then yes! :) And we have responded with a yes.

Absolutely. One of the bucket list items on this cruise is Japan. Getting an extra day on land, and getting to take the bullet train seem awesome.

I have just received an email asking for my views of the possible World Cruise for 2021 YES that's right 2021

Not sure I will survive that long but at least I will have time to fill the piggy bank.

Cannot say I any really taken by any of the routes but I gave my views freely.

JOE

Yes Joe....we got the survey as well. There were interesting segments in at least two of the 4 itineraries unfortunately not in the same cruise option. If they took bits and pieces of the 4 proposed itineraries they might have something really interesting. :)

Yes Joe....we got the survey as well. There were interesting segments in at least two of the 4 itineraries unfortunately not in the same cruise option. If they took bits and pieces of the 4 proposed itineraries they might have something really interesting. :)

Agree. I just did the survey. As they stand the options weren't of great interest to me. They do appear to be considering a return to the Black Sea and maybe an alternative ship to Whisper. I'm thinking that because of the questions regarding a wider choice of dining and entertainment venues.

I got the survey as well. I fear they are considering using a bigger ship on the WC.

Our vote would be for a Grand Voyage around the Pacific Rim. They did this a number of years ago, but it was way before our schedules would allow a 60 day trip.

My wife and I each received the survey on separate days. Since we are discussing it I'll try to summarize for any who did not receive it.

They proposed four different detailed 2021 world cruises and ask for opinions on details of each cruise.

The first is a 131 day Los Angeles to Monaco with 84 ports and 12 overnights, which does the Black Sea towards the end.

The second is 141 days, Los Angeles to New York City with 73 ports and 17 overnights, no Europe except for the last Lisbon to New York segment.

The third is 151 days, Fort Lauderdale to Venice with 85 ports and 15 overnights and including Cuba, Panama Canal, and Black Sea.

The last is 151 days Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale with 78 ports and 15 overnights, no Europe. The first complete circumnavigation.

I suppose it will ultimately be some combination, but they seem to be interested in trying some new things. But they are all long.

And certainly, the final part of the survey asking whether you would like various venues to be larger or more varied suggests that they would like to use one of the larger ships.

Great summary Wellseasoned! It seems there is interest in shorter WC voyages. And Emtsbam also had an interesting itinerary suggestion. Lots of food for thought for the cruise designers at SS if they are tapping in to the wisdom here.

Please be aware that where it says London the port is London Greenwich not Tower Bridge as only Wind and Cloud can fit.

If you're lucky!

When I booked my upcoming Spirit cruise, it was from Greenwich but we've been gazumped by Azamara (there is only room for one ship) and now we have to trek out to picturesque Tilbury.

There are some interesting routes there, to be sure. I am a little surprised they are going 'longer'. I am an avid long cruise guy, but 132 days is actually a bit longer than I prefer.

I like the way Cuba, and the Black Sea sound, but 151 days, wow.

2008 was a circumnavigation.

I am shocked they are considering the Muse. The reaction from the regulars for the 2010 South America, and 2011 WC that was on the Spirit was overwhelmingly negative.

We did not receive the survey, probably because we were non revenue passengers in 07,08,10,11,14...but we do have a fair bit of experience...

Edited by threeforthree

Thanks for the insight jollyjones! I took a look at the port schedule for both Greenwich and Tilbury for May 18-19 2019. Whisper does not appear on the Greenwich port and does show up on the Tilbury port.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/london-tilbury-port-1163?tab=schedule&month=2019-05#schedule

Great detective work, mysty.

Interesting that Whisper is scheduled to use Tilbury.as all their materials still say Greenwich. Maybe they are hoping to change or maybe it is preferable to continue to say Greenwich, even if it isn't, compared to the much less desirable Tilbury. The taxi fare calculator says the fare is around 250 pounds from Tilbury to Heathrow which might come as a shock to those not on the full world cruise.

Thanks turtlemichael! I thought it was worth investigating. On the list of excursions for London (Greenwich) there is a walking tour of Greenwich. Not sure how that would work if the docking is in fact in Tilbury. I guess time will tell. There is a Port of London Authority website but the cruise liner listing only goes to December 2018. Once it is updated there may be more information available.

https://www.pla.co.uk/Travel/Cruise-Ship-Diary/Cruise-Ship-Diary

Edited by mysty