Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

My DW concluded that they will hold the cocktail/canapes part in the grand lobby and then move to the banquet hall for the dinner part or just hold everything in the grand lobby.  Way different from recent gala events.  At the end of last year's WC, we got conflicting numbers, ranging around 220 to 240 regarding the number of WCs.

Thanks for your input DCCruiser57!  It is a beautiful venue.  Many interesting options for hosting.  The only part of the description that does not seem to fit is the reference :

"With the champagne and cocktails flowing, gaze amazed upon San Francisco’s iconic skyline"

21 minutes ago, mysty said:

Thanks for the update Turtle!  We have not booked anything for that port.  Maybe Destination Lecturer Jon Fleming or a fellow CCer will have some interesting suggestions. 🙂

Mysty, do you have any info on other lecturers, beyond the Tale of Tales crew, and officers?

Turtle, unfortunately I have no further information on potential lecturers.  I would be interesting in knowing who might be at the lectern as well.  We had some interesting folk on for the 2016 WC.  Some talked about World Leaders and World situations and those talks were a wee bit scary.  I hope the upcoming crop will have at least a little bit of hopefulness thrown in.  🙂

DCCruiser57......I did pick up on that.  I think the dinner will be a formal affair based on the description of the meal and the chef (avant-garde dinner by Michelin-starred chef).  It does introduce some packing issues as this is at the end-ish of the cruise.

Turtle (and others :)).....Jon Fleming also writes a blog for the World Cruises he has been on.  In 2015 the WC did a comparable itinerary to our upcoming one for many of the African ports.  If you are interested here is the link for his post on Mamoudzo in 2015......

http://blog.jonfleming.co.uk/search?q=mamoudzou

Two additional bits of info that you may already know about:

A SS press release dated July 26, 2018 was titled "TASTES OF DISTINCTION TO TRAVEL DEEPER: SILVERSEA DEVELOPS EXCEPTIONAL WINE PROGRAMME"  identified the February 2, 2019 Silver Whisper voyage (4903) as one of these voyages.

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2018/july-/tastes-of-distinction-to-travel-deeper--silversea-develops-excep.html

"On Feb 2, Silver Whisper will depart Sydney for Bali (Benoa), arriving on Feb 16. Also hosted by Silversea’s expert Wine Ambassador, the 14-day voyage will visit Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin and Komodo. A wide variety of carefully chosen Australian wines will be added to the Complimentary wine selection. Among the enrichments, guests can enjoy a private tour of the iconic Sirromet Winery in Queensland."

On the SS webpage describing the Asian Collection there is mention of another of Silver Whisper WC segments.

https://www.silversea.com/asian-collection.html

"Deemed as some of world’s most remote and beautiful areas, Asia offers contrasting landscapes and cultures like nowhere else on the planet. Mountains, deserts and coral reefs thrive within a few miles of beautiful cities, hidden gems and islands in this distant yet fascinating part of the World. An especially curated selection of voyages is waiting for you to discover this fascinating continent in depth. A succession of exclusive events and local experiences have been developed hand in hand with the prestigious The Peninsula Hotels, a luxury protagonist in the region’s tourism. Delve into the cuisine that defines a region with the very best gastronomy on offer with dinner events and cooking demonstrations accompanied of course by small plate tastings. Aboard, a team of destination experts together with Chefs from The Peninsula Group will share their expertise with guests, providing the ultimate discovery tools to conquer the mysteries of the Far East."

The Silver Whisper Voyage (4905) departing Tokyo March 2 2019 to Singapore is listed as one of these voyages.

I think we will be eating well!  🙂

Lots of information here this morning.  Thank you mysty, threeforthree andDCCruiser57!  

DCC I did notice that the Bilboa dinner was jacket and tie. As well, the Sn Francisco dinner is listed as informal.   That will make us rethink what we ship and what we carry to the US though I guess they'd be hard put to exclude us if we have the wrong jacket  but still look passably decent.

Thank you mysty for the link to Jon Fleming's blog.  I'm thinking that Mamoudzou maybe the place for a stroll.

Thanks also for the information on the wine program on the Sydney-Bali leg. Once Queensland wines, of which there are not many, were regarded as a bit of a joke (think mango and banana wine!) because of the climate. Now there are some quite decent wines so a visit to Sirromet Winery has a lot of attraction to me.  I'll have to chase that one up on board.

And we have booked for the Bali cooking class too. It will be a CC event! There are only 10 spots left after we joined.

Edited by turtlemichael

Most welcome Turtle!  We did a wine and cheese tour out of Newcastle in 2016 that we really enjoyed.  The tour in Brisbane includes a visit to XXXX Brewery & Alehouse as well as the Sirromet Winery.   Myster enjoys beer and I favour wine so we kill two birds with one stone.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Not being a regular beer drinker, and as such not being familiar with brands, I initially thought that the XXXX was an attempt to hide the name of the brewery.  A little more research revealed that it is in fact a well-known Australian brewery.  Joke was on me!  🙂  The tour is billed as a full-day.  No mention of a meal in the description.  I don't think they would take us to two establishments doling out samples of their alcohol without attempting to provide some nourishment of the non-liquid variety.  That would mean a very "cheerful" bus ride home.

Edited by mysty

13 hours ago, mysty said:

Not being a regular beer drinker, and as such not being familiar with brands, I initially thought that the XXXX was an attempt to hide the name of the brewery.  A little more research revealed that it is in fact a well-known Australian brewery.  Joke was on me!  🙂  The tour is billed as a full-day.  No mention of a meal in the description.  I don't think they would take us to two establishments doling out samples of their alcohol without attempting to provide some nourishment of the non-liquid variety.  That would mean a very "cheerful" bus ride home.

We took this tour last year and were very disappointed.  While the tour of the brewery was nice, we then drove many kilometers to a vineyard where we were not served any food.  There was a restaurant on site and we had to buy food.  I would inquire in advance before reserving this excursion.

• Thanks 1

We've reserved the tour but that can easily be undone! Sirromet is a boutique winery in an unusual destination and the couple of wines I've tasted from there have been very good. It deserves support.  However, after your comments Embtsam and looking at some of the TripAdvisor experiences I'm rethinking it. Maybe I'll save my winery exploration to South Africa.

Sirromet  do run their own shuttle from downtown Brisbane which will probably connect with a Silversea shuttle into town but it all seems to be a lot of trouble.  I would also expect the XXXX brewery tour would be quite easy to do on one's own utilizing the Silversea shuttle too.

Knowing Brisbane very well maybe this is another day for a stroll in town or the gardens?

Just bear in mid that the brewery will be only a medium walk or short taxi ride from where the shuttle drops us (I'm assuming downtown). You do need to book it.  Even if you don't do the tour you need to have a XXXX in Queensland if only for for bragging rights. 🙂

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1