Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve been told that Azamara no longer mail luggage labels out to anyone. If people do manage to get them they’re probably just using up labels they have in stock.

For our March cruise, I called Azamara after on-line check-in about our luggage tags since I didn't see a place to order them.  I received the luggage tags in the mail just a week later. 

All these posts (yes, read all 14 pages) are really interesting and helpful! We're boarding on March 25th in Miami. Prior experience mostly Celebrity and Royal.

Can someone tell me what kind(s) of tea(s) they usually have on Journey? I usually carry teabags, but if I can omit that (and a lot of other things) from my usual packing list, it might be possible to get things down to one suitcase. Hmmm.

Susan

Edited by jgnova

They have a good variety of teas - English breakfast, earl grey, lemon, ginger.  They usually carry two different brands - Twinings and another brand. Can’t remember the other brand, but they’re not as nice in my opinion.

Even though the Twinings tea is fine, I still take my own tea bags as I prefer Yorkshire Tea in a morning (we always order morning tea in our cabin). I tip for if you want to order tea in your cabin is to specify the type of tea you want (e.g English Breakfast ) otherwise you get a selection of flavours. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jgnova said:

All these posts (yes, read all 14 pages) are really interesting and helpful! We're boarding on March 25th in Miami. Prior experience mostly Celebrity and Royal.

Can someone tell me what kind(s) of tea(s) they usually have on Journey? I usually carry teabags, but if I can omit that (and a lot of other things) from my usual packing list, it might be possible to get things down to one suitcase. Hmmm.

Susan

Hi Susan, long time!!!!!!  Hope you and Jonathan are doing well.  I am sailing on Azamara for the first time in April.  Is your cruise ending in NYC?  I go April 10th.  Hope you have a great time.

Thanks, Host Grandma Cruising. So I probably will take at least a few of my preferred teas (with and without caffeine), but I'm usually ok with Twinings varieties.

Lois R, yes, we're fine. And yes, this is the March 25 cruise that starts in Miami and ends in NYC. It'll be our first time on Azamara. Wish we could stay on for the next one but it looks as if you'll have to do that for us.

Susan

Edited by jgnova

16 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

They have a good variety of teas - English breakfast, earl grey, lemon, ginger.  They usually carry two different brands - Twinings and another brand. Can’t remember the other brand, but they’re not as nice in my opinion.

Even though the Twinings tea is fine, I still take my own tea bags as I prefer Yorkshire Tea in a morning (we always order morning tea in our cabin). I tip for if you want to order tea in your cabin is to specify the type of tea you want (e.g English Breakfast ) otherwise you get a selection of flavours. 

I'm allergic to coffee and drink tea at breakfast.  I order English breakfast.  DW orders coffee.

This is our first Azamara cruise. Other than the itinerary, one of the main attractions was the "resort casual" dress code in the dining room. However on the website there is a note that "In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoy dressing up...We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well."

Now I don't particularly relish the idea of carting a "sport coat or suit" half way across the world to wear on just a few nights. How often is this separate dress code followed?

8 minutes ago, MandH said:

This is our first Azamara cruise. Other than the itinerary, one of the main attractions was the "resort casual" dress code in the dining room. However on the website there is a note that "In Prime C, Aqualina and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoy dressing up...We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; this attire comes in handy for evenings onshore as well."

Now I don't particularly relish the idea of carting a "sport coat or suit" half way across the world to wear on just a few nights. How often is this separate dress code followed?

It's not a dress code.  Dress is casual.  Always.  No reason to take a jacket or tie unless YOU want to wear same.  Relax and enjoy.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

It's not a dress code.  Dress is casual.  Always.  No reason to take a jacket or tie unless YOU want to wear same.  Relax and enjoy.

Some men like to wear a jacket in the speciality restaurants, but by no means all - maybe up to half. Very rarely see a tie.  As marinaro44 says If you don’t want to wear a jacket you don’t need to.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, marinaro44 said:

I've usually worn tropical shirts to dinner on =X= and RCI on non-formal nights. Will I feel out of place doing that on Azamara?

4 hours ago, jgnova said:

I've usually worn tropical shirts to dinner on =X= and RCI on non-formal nights. Will I feel out of place doing that on Azamara?

On our Azamara cruise I wore tropical shirts & golf type shirts in the main dining room as well as the specialty restaurants.

I plan to do the same on our upcoming cruise.

You will not feel out of place.

I’ve just come across a very helpful post by uktog about the Indulgence Package which includes the Ultimate Beverage Package along with the Chefs Table, WiFi package and Spa credit. RedBlu had asked how these various benefits became available - were they added to the ship’s card etc.  I think it’s worth posting uktog’s helpful answer about how it was handled on the Pursuit here - it was as follows:- 

“The Chefs Table, you will find they automatically book you into one of the tables, there should be a letter in your room telling you the day and date of your booking - however you can swap to another table but you need to be quick.  We did this as the one allocated did not appeal.  Then they cancelled the one we chose so we had to swap to a third one, which we enjoyed even though it was not our first choice

Ultimate Liquor Package - if there is not a sticker already on your room key showing you have the package there will be a tiny sticker in the envelope in your room that has the internet codes and the laundry vouchers.  You need to watch out for this as its very small and you need to put that on your card.  If you have no sticker go straight to guest relations because until you have a sticker you cannot benefit from the package

The spa credit was added to your onboard account but did not show up on your TV account - again the spa will keep you right.”

I will also add this into the ‘Tips’ spreadsheet.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

On 11/24/2018 at 3:40 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

You can do that, no problem. And yes.  I know of people doing that. The Elemis products in the showers I think smell great. Shampoo, conditioner and proper shower gel. None of this body wash stuff.  

Phil 

Do the showers there have hair dryers?

I’m wondering what brand of toiletries they supply and what they are. I have allergy issues with some products so I like to check them out prior to sailing - though we don’t have to fly for this cruise so it doesn’t really matter much I guess. I could bring the old fashioned steamer trunk 😝. Might have trouble finding a place for it in our room, though. 

2 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

I’m wondering what brand of toiletries they supply and what they are. I have allergy issues with some products so I like to check them out prior to sailing - though we don’t have to fly for this cruise so it doesn’t really matter much I guess. I could bring the old fashioned steamer trunk 😝. Might have trouble finding a place for it in our room, though. 

The brand is Eco-Boutique

Cyber Kat---I emailed the company that manufactures Eco-Boutique because I react to fragrances.  They responded that there are added fragrances in their products and would recommend that I not use them. I was bummed because I have heard the products are lovely!  I hope this helps you.

12 hours ago, nmqueenmother said:

Cyber Kat---I emailed the company that manufactures Eco-Boutique because I react to fragrances.  They responded that there are added fragrances in their products and would recommend that I not use them. I was bummed because I have heard the products are lovely!  I hope this helps you.

Thanks. I don’t think it’s the fragrances that trigger my allergies, but some other ingredient. I have had no issues with some fragrances and issues with some products that are fragrance free. I think since we are not flying, I’ll just bring my own and maybe test the Eco Boutique for future reference. 

I don’t have severe reactions - just some itching - but I don’t want to spend my trip scratching 😄

6 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Thanks. I don’t think it’s the fragrances that trigger my allergies, but some other ingredient. I have had no issues with some fragrances and issues with some products that are fragrance free. I think since we are not flying, I’ll just bring my own and maybe test the Eco Boutique for future reference. 

I don’t have severe reactions - just some itching - but I don’t want to spend my trip scratching 😄

Aloe leaf and green tea are mentioned on the bottles.

19 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Aloe leaf and green tea are mentioned on the bottles.

Thanks!  Good to know!  I have no issues with either of those ingredients. It’s when they get into all those chemicals that I can’t pronounce and have no clue what they are that I run into problems. 

I think if they are mostly natural, I’ll be fine.