Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

Thank you for the hearty recommendations, deysaz, Ray in NH, and LuAnn! :classic_biggrin:

Everyone on this thread (I've read the whole thing!) seems like a lot of fun.  Do cruisers on Az ever hold Cabin Crawls or is that more of an =X= activity?

My mom and dad (late 70s) are also =X= cruisers (E+) and are considering Az next July for a Golf Cruise (my dad is a golf nut).  I hope they go--it's an amazing itinerary and I'd love to get their personal opinion of the Az experience. 

We already have our 2020 booked on Edge (Greek Isles in May).  We've been looking at Az specifically for the itinerary where you can attend the Monte Carlo Grand Prix.  We'll see what 2021 brings. 

I have never known of a  Cabin Crawl on an Azamara Cruise.  Cabins are not very large and halls are not meant for large groups.  One of the funniest places to meet people is in the Self-Laundry room.  About 6 people can fit in there but there are always more that join.  While you are waiting for your washer or dryer to get done, you strike up conversations with others and have some good laughs.  It is also the place to get info about what is going on that isn't published in the daily newsletter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sparkopotamus said:

Thank you for the hearty recommendations, deysaz, Ray in NH, and LuAnn! :classic_biggrin:

Everyone on this thread (I've read the whole thing!) seems like a lot of fun.  Do cruisers on Az ever hold Cabin Crawls or is that more of an =X= activity?

My mom and dad (late 70s) are also =X= cruisers (E+) and are considering Az next July for a Golf Cruise (my dad is a golf nut).  I hope they go--it's an amazing itinerary and I'd love to get their personal opinion of the Az experience. 

We already have our 2020 booked on Edge (Greek Isles in May).  We've been looking at Az specifically for the itinerary where you can attend the Monte Carlo Grand Prix.  We'll see what 2021 brings. 

I did golf...a long time ago...then when I wanted to "wrap my golf club around a palm tree" I decided to give it up!! Based on what I read here the "Perry "Golf" cruises seem very popular and fun...is that what your "peeps" are considering???  If so it might be a "good fit"! RE "cabin crawls"...I do think that is more of an X "thing"...I did those in the past...usually when the S ships came out...which (it's been 10 years ago already) were just so "new and cool"!!! :)  I would love to hear what you think about "Edge"...TBH I'm not "sold" yet...but then I've been sailing X since 2001...and maybe I'm just not "hip" enough to "get it"!!! :) :") :)  To be on the cruise for the "Grand Prix"??...THAT would be just too fun!!! "Book it Danno"...I'm pretty sure that might "sell out" fast!!! We were lucky enough to "drive" that route once ...with a guide in a van...not "quite" the same thing...and it was fun...to see it ..."in person"...would be just "AMZ'ing"!!! LuAnn

On 7/9/2019 at 11:54 AM, Ray in NH said:

After having, just taken "the plunge" our selves (aboard the Quest) to Alaska last month, we would whole-heartedly suggest you give it a try.  We thoroughly enjoyed our first Azamara cruise, despite a couple of "hiccups".  We are considering when/where to take our next Azamara cruise.

This is based upon having previously completed well over a hundred cruises (over 1300 days) aboard various cruise lines, to all seven continents.

NRayH

We have been on 19 cruises and 5 continents, missing Africa and Australia.  DW agrees with your DW, since Africa is at the bottom of her list.  Our most recent trip was a road trip to Quebec, in search of more covered bridges(finished  all 6 NE states).  DW's goal is 800 and we are at 600.

• Like 1

"Going to Africa"...WOW...I missed it!! I waited too long to do it!! I had saved money...years ago to do my "safari" of a life-time"...and LIFE got in the way!! PLEASE...if you want to go...via land or sea...or both...do it!!! Because you NEVER know what is "around that corner"...I waited too long...and now...I don't think my DH can go...based on the long, long plane ride ...and the problem of health care while away from home... so...GO...TRAVEL...CRUISE...because "tomorrow may never come"...Just my 2 cents...based on experience~~ LuAnn

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuAnn said:

"Going to Africa"...WOW...I missed it!! I waited too long to do it!! I had saved money...years ago to do my "safari" of a life-time"...and LIFE got in the way!! PLEASE...if you want to go...via land or sea...or both...do it!!! Because you NEVER know what is "around that corner"...I waited too long...and now...I don't think my DH can go...based on the long, long plane ride ...and the problem of health care while away from home... so...GO...TRAVEL...CRUISE...because "tomorrow may never come"...Just my 2 cents...based on experience~~ LuAnn

Totally agree, our long haul days are also probably over for similar reasons but at least we can say, been there done that.

• Like 1

I hope to see Africa, too...kind of an arm-twister to get my husband to go but I'm working on it...

Another Newbie question:  for those of you who have had several days at sea on an Az ship, was there enough to do and if so what were the some of the activities?  It seems most itineraries are pretty port-intensive, so my query would be specifically aimed at itineraries like trans-oceanics, or those where several days are required to sail from, say, Cook Islands to New Zealand. Thanks! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Have done several trans-oceanics cruises and they are my husband's favorites.  There are multiple trivia games--last cruise had 15 teams of 8 people each in the Progressive Trivia, lectures, demonstrations, classes--bridge, painting, and the like, music, exercise classes, tours of ship.  There are plenty of things to do.  There are no water slides, climbing walls or zip lines.

• Like 2

The activities you describe sound good.  We are neither zip line nor water slide people.  If we had grandchildren we *might* take them on a ship like that (I would require a super-ultra-premium beverage package...).  Anyway, that's why we sail =X= for it's lack of colorful playground of equipment on the bow of the ship, which is visible from space.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

Am I crazy.  I thought at one time there was a spread sheet with all these suggestions and comments.  Now I can't seem to find it.  Help please

I think post 501 has it. No guarantee that’s the most recent but it’s only a month old or so. 

Can I ask about enrolling in LCV?  

Will they automatically enroll both people in a cabin (and what’s the easiest way to check if that’s happened)?

6 hours ago, Doh15 said:

I think post 501 has it. No guarantee that’s the most recent but it’s only a month old or so. 

Can I ask about enrolling in LCV?  

Will they automatically enroll both people in a cabin (and what’s the easiest way to check if that’s happened)?

There is a link on the Azamara website to enrol into LCV. If you scroll right down to the bottom menu you’ll see ‘Enrolment’ in the LCV section on the right.

• Thanks 1

Yes there is a Doctor onboard and they should be able to prescribe you the type of antibiotics you need for a UTI. It would be less expensive to get them on land though. 

Also try drinking plenty of cranberry juice and water. 

19 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

Is there a doctor on board the Quest? I may have a UTI requiring antibiotics (trying urgent care here in Fairbanks, but curious in case something doesn’t work.  Sorry for TMI!😣

Yes there is

BUT

You will need to declare you have been unwell before boarding and being allowed to board will be at the discretion of the cruise line so I would get whatever paperwork you need to prove fitness to travel whilst in Fairbanks,  

I am sorry you have this problem and hope it clears up

I don't think you will have much to worry about with a UTI. You are not likely to infect anyone else, apart from otentially a partner! If you have already started antibiotics it should be gone in a few days. 

They may need to consult with the Doctor onboard, who can come shoreside to ask you some questions, but it's not like you have a gastric infection such as Clostridium or Norovirus, that could be transmitted to other people. 

I see room service is included and the menu looks very good.  What about tips for that?  Do people usually tip when it is delivered or could we just give something bigger towards the end of a cruise?

Edited by tring