Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
vtcruising

How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

Recommended Posts

Those paying $35,000/week might end up ordering anything they want and have it served in their Suite.

 

On our 30 December 2018 cruise the highest priced suite currently is the Edge Villa, at a nice and round $50,003.68 for two. If I had paid that, I'd probably expect to get a private chef cook me whatever I fancied and the ship's captain to serve the meal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Celebrity suites and above receive a complimentary bar set up in their staterooms (Sky suites do not receive this service). The shoreside Concierge calls a few weeks before departure to confirm your choice of alcohol and mixers. They will also assist with any special requests and reservations for specialty dining, etc..

I didn't know Celebrity Suites received a complimentary bar set up. I thought it was just Royal and higher. It's one of the reasons we've never considered a Celebrity suite, thinking it was just a bigger Sky suite, in terms of services. Hmmm, something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn't know Celebrity Suites received a complimentary bar set up. I thought it was just Royal and higher. It's one of the reasons we've never considered a Celebrity suite, thinking it was just a bigger Sky suite, in terms of services. Hmmm, something to think about.

The Celebrity Suites that I've been in have not had a bar set up. Unless that is a recent change, I wouldn't count on it. IMO, the CS is worth the extra money for those who want a separate bedroom, a little more space and to be a bit higher in the suite hierarchy for attention to desires - maybe the Edge CS could be worth it in other ways. :D

 

Here are the suite amenities. I'm fairly sure that the Sky Suites have everything that the CS's have except that the pre-cruise shore concierge calls CS guests.

 

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/AMENITIES_GRID_sales_11x17.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Celebrity Edge posted example menus for Luminae have fewer items than the Blu menu example (especially appetizers) Blu also has an always available option which Luminae doesn’t show. Luminae example also doesn’t show any salads?

 

A lot may depend upon the size of the Luminae kitchen in terms of how many things it can provide since it can’t use the main dining room. It may be similar to the NCL Haven where they have a larger menu that never changes, but the chef indicated they can’t do anything different due to the small size of the kitchen and not having a close MDR to utilize.

 

Salads are served in Luminae.

If there is something you want that is not on the menu, all you have to do is ask. If they have the ingredients they will make it for you. The service in Luminae is wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn't know Celebrity Suites received a complimentary bar set up. I thought it was just Royal and higher. It's one of the reasons we've never considered a Celebrity suite, thinking it was just a bigger Sky suite, in terms of services. Hmmm, something to think about.

 

Celebrity Suites do not get the bar set up, this comment was a mistake on my part which I did correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
t - without expanding the menu, a remedy for 'more choices' may be going to one of the other dining rooms, if space permits, when nothing is appealing?

 

bon voyage

 

Bo that is a very good solution. Our first Edge cruise is for 7 days. We are conflicted between our love of everything Luminae vs trying the new specialty restaurants. Or even the separate MDR venues. We just need to book more Edge cruises and try everything. On almost every night we have dined in Luminae on other ships my wife orders the escargot (butter and garlic with a few snail pieces thrown in!) from the MDR menu. I know you are vegan but she just loves this. If she does not have this option on Edge she will probably cry! LOL! What a problem to have. Yes we never forget to be thankful that we are fortunate in retired life after years of hard work and savings and sacrifices. Cruising is a gift to us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bo that is a very good solution. Our first Edge cruise is for 7 days. We are conflicted between our love of everything Luminae vs trying the new specialty restaurants. Or even the separate MDR venues. We just need to book more Edge cruises and try everything. On almost every night we have dined in Luminae on other ships my wife orders the escargot (butter and garlic with a few snail pieces thrown in!) from the MDR menu. I know you are vegan but she just loves this. If she does not have this option on Edge she will probably cry! LOL! What a problem to have. Yes we never forget to be thankful that we are fortunate in retired life after years of hard work and savings and sacrifices. Cruising is a gift to us!

Tee, I think it is clear that you need more Edge! That is my own personal mantra. :D

 

Oh, I think I feel another t-shirt coming on.... a "I Need More Edge!" t-shirt would be a good one to wear on my first Edge cruise. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tee, I think it is clear that you need more Edge! That is my own personal mantra. :D

 

Oh, I think I feel another t-shirt coming on.... a "I Need More Edge!" t-shirt would be a good one to wear on my first Edge cruise. ;)

 

Yes! Yes! I need more Edge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did receive a call from Celebrity during the CC downtime regarding the cabanas in the Retreat area that I asked them about via email.

They indicated that nobody yet knows if there will be a charge for the Cabanas in the Retreat area, but they were working with the Concierge staff on the issue and would be hopefully posting info on the website soon.

Was impressed that I got a follow-up phone call rather than a quick email response even though no info was yet available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, omarchs said:

I did receive a call from Celebrity during the CC downtime regarding the cabanas in the Retreat area that I asked them about via email.

They indicated that nobody yet knows if there will be a charge for the Cabanas in the Retreat area, but they were working with the Concierge staff on the issue and would be hopefully posting info on the website soon.

Was impressed that I got a follow-up phone call rather than a quick email response even though no info was yet available.

It is surprising that they still don't have that info out when the first commercial cruise is in 46 days.....

Thanks for checking! Hopefully we will know soon. I feel another reveal coming on...

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd bet that they start out free, but as they gauge use, they might implement a fee (and change it until they find the right balance between supply/demand).  Have seen them do that many times with new amenities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BurBunny said:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd bet that they start out free, but as they gauge use, they might implement a fee (and change it until they find the right balance between supply/demand).  Have seen them do that many times with new amenities.

It may end up that way, but because there appears to be quite a few of them, it might be difficult to do so now. I don't think there would be enough seats for everyone. I can see them eventually having a sign up sheet with a fee for a couple of hours, but not an all day thing (or maybe they will have some reserved for the higher suites - if they are paying $50 grand, they should have a cabana :classic_smile:). Will be interesting to see how it develops.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BurBunny said:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd bet that they start out free, but as they gauge use, they might implement a fee (and change it until they find the right balance between supply/demand).  Have seen them do that many times with new amenities.

 

I am not opposed to free but, because there are not too many Cabanas, some will put their towels there and occupy the cabanas all day. With a fee and a time allotment, others will have the opportunity to also use the Cabanas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

 

I am not opposed to free but, because there are not too many Cabanas, some will put their towels there and occupy the cabanas all day. With a fee and a time allotment, others will have the opportunity to also use the Cabanas.  

Or it will be monitored by the Suites Concierge.  I just can’t believe that saving cabanas with towels will happen in the Retreat.  Call me glass half full but that would truly shock me. :classic_ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oville said:

Or it will be monitored by the Suites Concierge.  I just can’t believe that saving cabanas with towels will happen in the Retreat.  Call me glass half full but that would truly shock me. :classic_ohmy:

Something will definitely need to be done by the Suite Concierge or someone if the Cabanas are free to give other a chance to use them. I hope you are right, that people wouldn't use towels to save a Cabana, they do it on loungers :classic_smile:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to remember that this is the first dedicated suite sundeck area for them and I agree with others that policies may need to evolve over time. I still do believe they undersized this area, but time will tell. There will certainly be a lot of complaints if people can’t find space with the prices being charged for suites. I personally don’t like their cabanas due to the room they take up and there will be even more space constraints in the Retreat area.

i personally expect that more people will use the Resort pool area due to the newness so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

It is surprising that they still don't have that info out when the first commercial cruise is in 46 days.....

Thanks for checking! Hopefully we will know soon. I feel another reveal coming on...

Agree with another reveal even though delivery is getting close. The Retreat area and suites weren’t available for the September travel agent preview so I would expect Celebrity would want a distinct reveal for their first dedicated suite area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the dedicated pool butlers will be the cream of the crop and hopefully be trained to diplomatically keep chair hogs under control (unlike what often happens on the pool deck). I imagine there will be some rules and it will be different than the pool deck in that you are not anonymous.  I have a feeling that because it is a relatively small area that the pool butlers will be watching over, it will work better (and they will get to know many of our names). I think it will end up being a more civilized atmosphere, without that feeling of everyone for themselves. We will be seeing the same people in Luminae and in the Retreat Lounge so there will be more of a felling of community, I predict. I can picture that if it is crowded, and someone I have chatted with in the Retreat Lounge walked into the sundeck area, I might give up my seat a little earlier than planned if I had been there awhile and go to the Retreat Lounge sundeck or my own balcony (or the casino). :classic_smile:

There will always be those who feel entitled, but the majority will probably be on their best behavior, in part because of the lack of anonymity. I imagine the rules will evolve depending upon the culture up there - it's hard to predict how many people will hang out up there for long periods of time. On this new ship, I will have too much to do and see to spend a lot of time there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think  suite guests will be in many other  areas of the ship due to the newness,  Not everyone will want to spend all day in the private area and some have amazing private balconies.  Time will tell .  At Sandals, the suite pool butlers did a great job managing the reserved lounger areas quite well...with  great finesse!

For us  in AQ Class, we are hoping the Solarium is big enough...that's our main hang out area, plus Thermal Suites.

Please do not quote this...I forgot to hit the  cancel notification button..thanks

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, hcat. I will be wandering all over the ship on the early cruises.

If I can ever afford a suite in the future on the Edge, I may want to hang out up there more (will have explored and experienced most everything). One of the best parts of being in a suite for me is the "Cheers Syndrome."  When we walk into Michael's, we are greeted by name by the concierge, the bartenders and sometimes fellow guests. By the time we sit down we often have our favorite top shelf beverage in front of us, perfectly executed. Having a suite stretches our budget, but that level of pampering makes our cruises all the more amazing. I am looking forward to having that level of service at the Retreat pool in comparison to the usual spotty service on X pool decks (though maybe it will be better with the virtual concierge).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that most folks in higher end suites will use their own balconies, hot tubs, etc. and not worry about the cabanas. I think the suite area butlers or staff will keep an eye on the newly termed "Cabana Area Suite Hogs, or CASH".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

I think that most folks in higher end suites will use their own balconies, hot tubs, etc. and not worry about the cabanas. I think the suite area butlers or staff will keep an eye on the newly termed "Cabana Area Suite Hogs, or CASH".

Love it! That will be our new code word for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think that most folks in higher end suites will use their own balconies, hot tubs, etc. and not worry about the cabanas. I think the suite area butlers or staff will keep an eye on the newly termed "Cabana Area Suite Hogs, or CASH".

 

Agree with those in the higher suites likely using their own areas... but those in the aft SS's will likely either stay in their suites... or come to the Retreat and stay a long period of time camping out.  I'm planning on early mornings and late evenings on my aft balcony... main portion of the day in the Retreat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree, hcat. I will be wandering all over the ship on the early cruises.

If I can ever afford a suite in the future on the Edge, I may want to hang out up there more (will have explored and experienced most everything). One of the best parts of being in a suite for me is the "Cheers Syndrome."  When we walk into Michael's, we are greeted by name by the concierge, the bartenders and sometimes fellow guests. By the time we sit down we often have our favorite top shelf beverage in front of us, perfectly executed. Having a suite stretches our budget, but that level of pampering makes our cruises all the more amazing. I am looking forward to having that level of service at the Retreat pool in comparison to the usual spotty service on X pool decks (though maybe it will be better with the virtual concierge).

Sad...that experience  of pampering used to be offered to all passengers,  Hoping they notch it up a bit on EDGE,.  Truthfully, We never feel neglected in AQ Class or BLU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, omarchs said:

The other thing to remember that this is the first dedicated suite sundeck area for them and I agree with others that policies may need to evolve over time. I still do believe they undersized this area, but time will tell. There will certainly be a lot of complaints if people can’t find space with the prices being charged for suites. I personally don’t like their cabanas due to the room they take up and there will be even more space constraints in the Retreat area.

i personally expect that more people will use the Resort pool area due to the newness so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

 

I think everyone is anxious to try the Retreat area, but as someone who doesn't ever use the main pool deck on S class (I go upstairs to the decks overlooking the pool), I would have interest in the areas that are just outside the Retreat (so as to still allow easy access to the area I paid for) but away from the pool. I am always early to rise, pick a chair in a less chair-crowded area in anticipation of less bodies in the vicinity in the later morning hours, and stay there. If the Retreat proves to be too crowded or more of a feeling like right by the pool on the lower deck, it won't be my cup of tea. I need space, and I don't think I am the only one. I never had interest in grabbing the large loungers because they're in the more crowded areas of the pool deck, and I agree I think what they have for the Retreat is going to take up too much space. Only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...