How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

vtcruising

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree, hcat. I will be wandering all over the ship on the early cruises.

If I can ever afford a suite in the future on the Edge, I may want to hang out up there more (will have explored and experienced most everything). One of the best parts of being in a suite for me is the "Cheers Syndrome."  When we walk into Michael's, we are greeted by name by the concierge, the bartenders and sometimes fellow guests. By the time we sit down we often have our favorite top shelf beverage in front of us, perfectly executed. Having a suite stretches our budget, but that level of pampering makes our cruises all the more amazing. I am looking forward to having that level of service at the Retreat pool in comparison to the usual spotty service on X pool decks (though maybe it will be better with the virtual concierge).

Pool service is something I noticed as one of the biggest differences in service since my first Celebrity cruise back in 2001. Pool butlers used to be decked out in white, so "at-your-service" and HAPPY. one in particular really sticks out in my mind, I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he really loved his job and was a great example of the level of service we used to receive on deck. Waiters also used to come up on deck on specific days with the "clense your palatte" sorbets we used to get at formal night dinners. I could go on and on, but my last few cruises I don't know that I had even just one order taken at my chair and the drink brought to me. I always had to get up to get it at the bar, and then trying to get a bartender's attention was just impossible. Probably due to drink packages, I'm sure, but the memories of the great pool service really make the difference stand out. I'm wondering what it will be like in the Retreat. For sure I will be getting my drinks from the bar there on my next cruise.

Edited by CruisingTheWaves
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sad...that experience  of pampering used to be offered to all passengers,  Hoping they notch it up a bit on EDGE,.  Truthfully, We never feel neglected in AQ Class or BLU

I was mainly talking about the service in the pool area - there have been less bar tenders going around the pool in the last few years (or so it seems to me) - maybe it is the drink packages. My last 2 cruises were in AQ and we were very happy in Blu and in many, but not all, bars and lounges. :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising

Does anyone know how they will "close off" Retreat area to other guests? It seems not everyone will be carrying a key card if they are planning to use their phones instead (if that's actually working, Celebrity doesn't have a great technology track record) but does anyone know what the actual access will be? Scan code to open a door from a mobile phone, or keycard access? Just wondering. It looks like a little of the upper outside decks beyond the Retreat around the Solarium roof are considered part of the Retreat. It looks like it's closed off with doorway access on the deckplans, however renderings don't show that. Anyone have any idea or is this one of the mysteries we'll find out the answer to in a couple weeks? Just wondering, I have very specific areas in which I choose for deck chairs and I'm looking at ideas of where they have them placed in renderings and deck plans. 

34 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Does anyone know how they will "close off" Retreat area to other guests? It seems not everyone will be carrying a key card if they are planning to use their phones instead (if that's actually working, Celebrity doesn't have a great technology track record) but does anyone know what the actual access will be? Scan code to open a door from a mobile phone, or keycard access? Just wondering. It looks like a little of the upper outside decks beyond the Retreat around the Solarium roof are considered part of the Retreat. It looks like it's closed off with doorway access on the deckplans, however renderings don't show that. Anyone have any idea or is this one of the mysteries we'll find out the answer to in a couple weeks? Just wondering, I have very specific areas in which I choose for deck chairs and I'm looking at ideas of where they have them placed in renderings and deck plans. 

The front elevator will likely have Retreat access by phone or RFID card to stop at that deck (much like the tower levels in hotels). That area by the Solarium dome looks like there is a division there. I'm wondering if there will be sliders there that are activated by the cards/phones or if someone will be stationed there. Yes, one of the mysteries TBD. I will be in a suite Nov 27 so will report back that day (or probably sooner, if I can get the info out of someone on the Nov 25 cruise). :classic_smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I was mainly talking about the service in the pool area - there have been less bar tenders going around the pool in the last few years (or so it seems to me) - maybe it is the drink packages. My last 2 cruises were in AQ and we were very happy in Blu and in many, but not all, bars and lounges. :classic_smile:

I agree that service dropped with the advent of drink packages...unless you pick a spot where your bar server knows more tips are coming their way. Dh gets our drinks up at the pool bar but that can be slow too!

Went to a resort once in Antigua...everyone had a guaranteed job...service was  very slow...no tips. Luckily we had had better luck at Sandals..but also tipped extra

Hope service for suites is better .. suite guests are paying high fares and deserve  a high level of service

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I agree that service dropped with the advent of drink packages...unless you pick a spot where your bar server knows more tips are coming their way. Dh gets our drinks up at the pool bar but that can be slow too!

Went to a resort once in Antigua...everyone had a guaranteed job...service was  very slow...no tips. Luckily we had had better luck at Sandals..but also tipped extra

Hope service for suites is better .. suite guests are paying high fares and deserve  a high level of service

We've never done Sandals, but sounds like good service!

We are a bit off topic but I can almost guarantee you will receive excellent bar service if you tip a couple of bucks for 2 drinks.  We do because we think the waiters deserve it but it has the benefit of much better service.:classic_tongue:

i know two people who won’t be hanging at the Retreat pool.  In way too many cruises in the last 12 years we’ve sat at the pool once and that was cruise 1, it’s not our cup of tea.

Katie

24 minutes ago, Oville said:

We are a bit off topic but I can almost guarantee you will receive excellent bar service if you tip a couple of bucks for 2 drinks.  We do because we think the waiters deserve it but it has the benefit of much better service.:classic_tongue:

i know two people who won’t be hanging at the Retreat pool.  In way too many cruises in the last 12 years we’ve sat at the pool once and that was cruise 1, it’s not our cup of tea.

Katie

This made me think of our Med cruise on the Reflection last fall. I don't drink much in between cruises, but with the premium beverage packages we always have onboard I do enjoy a cocktail or two. On that cruise we cruised with my SIL and BIL and we went to the Ensemble Lounge every night before dinner for a cocktail. The first night, this really lovely bartender made sure that I received a wonderful top shelf margarita with a floater of Grand Marnier just the way I like it. I gave him a $5 bill because he was so nice and after that he would bring me a second one every night that I did not order. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so thanked him and drank it.  I am usually a one cocktail person in that short of a time period - let's just say dinner was very lively on that cruise. :classic_smile:

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

This made me think of our Med cruise on the Reflection last fall. I don't drink much in between cruises, but with the premium beverage packages we always have onboard I do enjoy a cocktail or two. On that cruise we cruised with my SIL and BIL and we went to the Ensemble Lounge every night before dinner for a cocktail. The first night, this really lovely bartender made sure that I received a wonderful top shelf margarita with a floater of Grand Marnier just the way I like it. I gave him a $5 bill because he was so nice and after that he would bring me a second one every night that I did not order. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so thanked him and drank it.  I am usually a one cocktail person in that short of a time period - let's just say dinner was very lively on that cruise. :classic_smile:

That's why it says right on the bottle: "alcohol by volume😜

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

If it’s like NCL’s Haven then you’ll need your keycard to access the area from any entrance.

• Like 1

Here is the deck plan that shows what look like walls on either side of the dome with doorways to enter the Retreat (maybe RFID entries). The other circle on deck 16 is a "secret" stairway down to the Retreat Lounge outside deck. :classic_smile:

Deck 16:

image.png.3ec168371084e9d0477f0eed447040c7.png

Deck 15:

image.png.b8dbb9f61b93997d56548fbebd8055a1.png

• Like 1

I posted this on the "Blocks" thread, but thought I would add it here:

I found this picture of the Retreat Sundeck rear entrance (?RFID access). You can also see the stairway down to the Retreat Lounge Sundeck to the right and in the center is the path to the forward section of the Retreat Sundeck (need to walk through the elevator corridors - the path is likely to the left of where I marked the path).

image.png.a4fc512d9104315465cbbb80a6fe1931.png

image.png.b943f38a31060fa093a842ed2a26cf5b.png

This looks like the back of the Edge Villas that will be private pergolas, I presume (looks like gates being erected). You can see the Solarium dome in the background. The pathway for others between the forward and rear Retreat Sundecks will likely be in the center where the elevators are located (see deck 16 plan above).

image.thumb.png.e4ac5273f59d7965996d7970e9615a68.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Just got it from Richard Fain’s mouth (On a cruise with him) that Luminae’s menu is changing on the Edge and will then roll out on rest of fleet. I’ll try to get the menus if available. I move to a suite in the morning. 😀

Great news.  I love Luminae but the menu is in need of a refresh!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Just got it from Richard Fain’s mouth (On a cruise with him) that Luminae’s menu is changing on the Edge and will then roll out on rest of fleet. I’ll try to get the menus if available. I move to a suite in the morning. 😀

VT, are you moving to a side or aft suite tomorrow?  I'm dying to see an aft picture!  5 days feels like an eternity!

Thanks VT for following up on this item!

i did get an email response recently to my Luminae menu question indicating what you reported that it would be the small menu since everything is cooked from scratch.

They did indicate that they would aim to accommodate any requests to make it a memorable experience to paraphrase.  They didn’t mention about eventually adding an everday menu as you had indicated they told you, but hopefully they will implement it quickly.

Appreciate that they will make everything from scratch, but the variety will be much lower without having the main dining room menu also available. Can’t believe they wouldn’t expect some pushback with a smaller menu at these price tags for the suites. Would have thought a daily Caesar salad, chicken entree etc would be included without having to ask.

Cant wait for your suite feedback!

1 hour ago, omarchs said:

Thanks VT for following up on this item!

i did get an email response recently to my Luminae menu question indicating what you reported that it would be the small menu since everything is cooked from scratch.

They did indicate that they would aim to accommodate any requests to make it a memorable experience to paraphrase.  They didn’t mention about eventually adding an everday menu as you had indicated they told you, but hopefully they will implement it quickly.

Appreciate that they will make everything from scratch, but the variety will be much lower without having the main dining room menu also available. Can’t believe they wouldn’t expect some pushback with a smaller menu at these price tags for the suites. Would have thought a daily Caesar salad, chicken entree etc would be included without having to ask.

Cant wait for your suite feedback!

The great thing about Luminae though is that they are very accommodating. If they have the ingredients to make something they will do it even if it’s not on the menu (or not on the MDR menu). I’ve had cases with myself or my party where we wanted a chicken or steak dish that they had offered a few nights before that we loved and they brought it to us again. Or I’ve had meat added to a pasta dish, etc. So even though a Caesar Salad for example might not be on the Luminae menu they would probably be able to whip one up for you even without being next to the MDR. 

Anyway, good news about the changing Edge menu. I had been told this by the Luminae manager on Silhouette back in January that changes would start on Edge and then roll out to the fleet but hadn’t heard anything since. Great to get confirmation of this! Hopefully the roll out to the fleet happens by the new year so I can also have a new Luminae menu on my Summit Cruise in January.

One of the things we enjoyed very much about The Haven on NCL was that their menu included some of the items found on the Menus in specialty dining. I’d be excited to see that kind of thing happen. 

But it I can’t wait until VT gets to her brand new Suite tomorrow!!! 

Retreat pictures - I’m not sure what has been shown on other threads - I have over 300 to catch up on!

So here goes - absolutely loved Retreat Lounge:

6C08279C-EEC7-4F54-9E18-02FAEB7DAC2F.thumb.jpeg.e6eae3e2facfb917ecb06d10534ca32e.jpeg0F6760F3-ADA7-486A-840D-82C46FC959CC.thumb.jpeg.9d39e388b6940d6ba048d7c719f8999b.jpeg863F37BA-3CEA-4008-A4F3-70E82A3EEB4E.thumb.jpeg.b480ce7a44509d888271e35490f65c07.jpeg7E0B0524-167D-4D8E-9227-7E19668A1779.thumb.jpeg.c6685e5e080ee94262623baac5d51c3b.jpeg9D189D7E-A226-46B7-9236-B7C645239732.thumb.jpeg.d02d1278daf9de16bee555e44cfd01e2.jpegD18EFE60-F019-4320-8553-C5A56C95622D.thumb.jpeg.2ca682def1bb8bd20ca97d998d755010.jpeg

The outside part of the Retreat Lounge is nice too.

FE427FCC-9DA8-4D7C-9644-E8F61CB79141.thumb.jpeg.1f954f1c048753b9b720deb62facf804.jpeg

The lounge is open 24/7 with someone in there 7 am- 11 pm for bar service, continental breakfast, etc. The soft drinks, water, etc are available when no one there ( at least that’s what the guy there said but he’s not a concierge).

B726915B-5E8A-46C2-8A37-39F76A6317B2.thumb.jpeg.18ae2bab7b0b07a1123df23bd2b8fea1.jpeg527209A3-09AD-427A-A0A3-A62E83D4B3D9.thumb.jpeg.fb99541949007549d20961544dc3b249.jpeg64E5F3B9-3AEE-4501-8E52-FA3B98F3F5A5.thumb.jpeg.8630424fe965abfb6d1e2df6e2256303.jpeg

06E955A3-CFB1-437B-B63D-5E95DF5214FD.jpeg

415B2E8C-5CDA-49AA-A37D-306C14607B28.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Retreat Lounge looks amazing!  The only small issue I have with the current Michael's Clubs is that they are enclosed and you can not relax with a drink and see the outside views.  M-Class has just one outside door and S-Class is small and very dark.  This will be so inviting on Edge!

3 hours ago, Mcampo said:

VT, I hope you are having an amazing time! Was there a bar in the Retreat lounge? I haven’t seen one. 

Agree! would love to see the bar! i believe its just outside of the lounge- I've only seen a few pics.

VT-- how do you gain entrance? phone or card? Cannot wait to spend time here soon!

I'm drooling all over my laptop here in Minnesota! 

3 hours ago, Mcampo said:

VT, I hope you are having an amazing time! Was there a bar in the Retreat lounge? I haven’t seen one. 

If you watch that Affluent Journeys Edge tour video I shared in the Edge blocks thread he walks through the whole Retreat Lounge and there is no bar there. There is a bar up on the sundeck. I assume that when sitting in the lounge there will at least be cocktail service even though there is no bar to sit at.