Why are you loyal to NCL?

Hubby and I have cruised:

2005 RCL Voyager

2012 CCL Paradise

2016 NCL Escape, with our 2 kids

2018 NCL Bliss, with our 2 kids

2019 RCL Adventure booked (so kids can try Voyager class & a different line

So...after next year, we will have sailed RCL and NCL 2 apiece. Hubby & I have enjoyed each above cruise and made most of what each ship/its size/amenities had to offer. Question...in perhaps wanting to stick to either NCL or Royal after next year's sailing, for a family of 4 with kids now 8 & 10, would you say NCL is the way to go? We did enjoy Voyager, hence why we want to try RCL again (before megaships)...and feel we don't think we are interested in anything larger than Breakaway Plus...actually, we are kind of excited for Leonardo class. For ships of 3500-4000 and under, who do you prefer? NCL or RCL if we wanted to start building loyalty to one? Sorry for the long msg;);););););)

We had been on 3 RCL and 2 Carnival cruises, then tried NCL because we liked cruising from NYC and it was a good price and itinerary compared to the other choices at the time.

We loved the ship (Breakaway), and the quality of the food and entertainment. The only thing that we felt was better on RCL was late buffet and dining room service. So we sailed again on Breakaway the next year, going to Bermuda. Hurricanes changed that, and we went to FL and Bahamas again instead. Oh well. And then a really interesting itinerary became available and we booked that. Hurricanes ruined the itinerary and we ended up on the same FL-Bahama-GSC plus 3 western ports but oh well. Despite the two trips with ruined ports, we love the ship. So we've booked a 4th time, the repositioning from NYC to New Orleans. And something happened along the way. Two trips with double points, and soon we will be gold, and because this one is 15 nights double points, it will take only one more to be platinum. So we're sticking with NCL. Hoping to make Bermunda next summer!

We sailed with Disney when the kids were very little. Service was nice, but with a steeper price. We tried Carnival several times... and wont go back ever. We have only sailed on NCL escape. The price point makes it easy to jut get two rooms, for the same price as 1 on Disney. Service has always been good, food 1000% better than carnival, and the newer ship was pretty awesome. We do have two more trips booked with NCL, one in haven... so pretty loyal for now. Only downside is it may be time to jump ship ... so to speak... to another line to try new stops.

So what makes me happy with ncl, Deck 8 on the escape love the couches and chill out areas with an awesome bar near by. Specialty restaurants and dining like a human. Making reservations like i would back home, and not having the its 7:30 cattle call mass seating is sooo much better.

Only bad... as everyone says about ncl, pool deck sucks.

I value your insights, and tend to agree. It is whatever your personal tastes/interests are. We have no desire to try anything larger than 4000 passengers. We sail in July/August because I am a teacher and so are set on summer sailing (hence another reason why we booked Royal for Canada/New England next summer, as NCL doesn't do that outside of fall months), and we tend to do majority of meals in MDR's. Never tried specialty dining, although after last week on Bliss, we realize we would have made out better with dining package as opposed to UBP, as we just didn't drink as much as we thought we would. Only at dinner. Our parents outdrank us last week. Not to get drunk, but just enjoying leisurely afternoon and post dinner drinks, and we didn't want to spoil feeling good for early morning Alaskan excursions. We will have to research specialty dining & look into the cost. Our 10 yr old son is a foodie, so if we started opting for specialty meals, we would pay for him to eat as an adult.

Snownow, I totally hear you. When you take vacation at same time each year, you are limited to itinerary. Hence why we thought RCL next summer. We sailed the sister ship on our honeymoon back in '05 & still rave about that first cruise to this day. We want our kids to experience it, so next year see what they think. However...they have only sailed NCL and are already saying "We love NCL" and "Why do we have to try Royal?" But we are Canadian, and are also using cruising as a way to travel some provinces that would take us 4-5 days to drive to. We did BC last week on Bliss, and will hit 2 East Coast provinces next year. So very convenient.

I had my first Norwegian cruise in January of 2008 on The Spirit. Since then I have done 36 more Norwegian cruises. Have absolutely no desire to sail with a another company. I have sailed the small ships, the medium ships and the mega ships. Every time I feel like am at home and at peace.

Although my last two cruises have been on NCL, and I've got a couple of CruiseNext certificates in pocket, I have to say I am not loyal to NCL (or any other line). And because their loyalty program (and all other cruise lines) is worthless at the low levels, there is no motivation to be loyal.

Been on HAL, CCL, RCCL, DCL, and others that are out of business. When we get ready to book, we look at all lines and we book based on price and itinerary. Simple as that.

That all being said, we really, really liked the Getaway and Bliss layouts and would give them a bit of an edge in our decision making if all else is relatively equal.

All of you make valid points .I guess I kind of knew the responses I would get. There is no real right answer here.

Patrlr: we absolutely love the Waterfront & Observation Lounge. My husband said he even prefers Bliss to Escape (slightly). Even in the Carribean itineraries, the Observation Lounge would be excellent. Last week proved to be a perfect area for hubby, kids & I to always regroup and meet up with my parents & inlaws. None of us grew tired of it. Funny how I read so much negativity on here about the Bliss prior to our sailing, but our family LOVED the ship.

I'm loyal to nice ships, great prices and great itineraries... with that in mind, I'd say I'm loyal to CCL, RCL, and X.

I'll find out how loyal I am to NCL in a few weeks.

Also, we might be done with Princess, we found it to be quite boring the two times that we have tried her. Perhaps it was the staff on on the last cruise and an older ship.

Since I mentioned staff, I guess that should also have a lot to do with LOYALTY.

I agree it’s individual. All kinds of reasons people sail. Me itinerary is the only thing that matters. Then for me the bargain chase is “fun”. I don’t care about the ship. But I jaded since I sail at least every month.

I agree it’s individual. All kinds of reasons people sail. Me itinerary is the only thing that matters. Then for me the bargain chase is “fun”. I don’t care about the ship. But I jaded since I sail at least every month.

I want to know your budget queen research technique. When I first started sailing I was referred to a PCC with NCL. He would call me with 'silent' specials and I was able to get on the EPIC for $1000 - 7 day cruise. We got two studios and it was fun to see the new rooms. Then my PCC left and nobody seems to offer this type of service. :(

We like NCL but arent loyal to them. We sail many lines and it depends on the cost, itinerary, and ship. Sometimes the best value is on NCL and sometimes not. The beverage package for our March 2019 15 day Panama Canal cruise made it cheaper than NCL's competitors for a comperable cruise. In my head, the less people that are loyal to one line, Carnival has the most for some reason, the more cruiselines have to appeal to cruisers through price and perks. I want them to beg for me to come back .......

Klfhngr, I agree that staff does help make the cruise. Only on our 2nd NCL last week, and we recognized over a handful from the Escape 2 yrs ago. Additionally, one of the M'aitre D's gave us his card and told us to ask him for anything we needed at all. My parents and in-laws were with us. Their very 1st NCL cruise. My dad happened to then mention to that same Maitre D that he had no way of using his Waterpik in his bathroom, that he was kinda trying to make it work in the cabin, but with difficulty. Don't you know how impressed they were to receive an extension cord delivered to them so my dad could use his Waterpik in the bathroom? They thanked him endlessly. And in addition to the thank you's, chats, and daily hellos to this individual, he even surprised us by allowing us to choose any 2 bottles of wine at dinner on the last night of our cruise. That certainly gave our parents a very good 1st impression of NCL.

Klfhngr, I agree that staff does help make the cruise. Only on our 2nd NCL last week, and we recognized over a handful from the Escape 2 yrs ago. Additionally, one of the M'aitre D's gave us his card and told us to ask him for anything we needed at all. My parents and in-laws were with us. Their very 1st NCL cruise. My dad happened to then mention to that same Maitre D that he had no way of using his Waterpik in his bathroom, that he was kinda trying to make it work in the cabin, but with difficulty. Don't you know how impressed they were to receive an extension cord delivered to them so my dad could use his Waterpik in the bathroom? They thanked him endlessly. And in addition to the thank you's, chats, and daily hellos to this individual, he even surprised us by allowing us to choose any 2 bottles of wine at dinner on the last night of our cruise. That certainly gave our parents a very good 1st impression of NCL.

Wow, to me, that is huge, that was very nice of him/them!!!! Staff does really make a HUGE impression! It can be an old, outdated ship, but if the staff is having fun and there to serve you, it might be the best cruise you've ever been on! That sounds like my cruise on Commodore!

I'm hearing some good things about the NCL staff and quite excited. I enjoy talking to them and seeing them around the ship.

A CD from Mariner of the Seas made a huge impression on me. As me and my cousin were walking thru the promenade, he walked by and said, hi Mr XXXX! He knew my NAME! I have no idea how, the only ting I can think of is that he saw me at karaoke? IDK! My cousin said, did you meet him before? I said no! Then my cousin yells out, what about me?! LOL!!!

But yes, staff plays a huge role.. Princess staff left a bad taste in MY mouth...

I had my first Norwegian cruise in January of 2008 on The Spirit. Since then I have done 36 more Norwegian cruises. Have absolutely no desire to sail with a another company. I have sailed the small ships, the medium ships and the mega ships. Every time I feel like am at home and at peace.

à chacun son goût......we did two back-to-backs on the Star four years ago.....totally unimpressed. It'd take an exceptionally priced deal to lure us back.

à chacun son goût......we did two back-to-backs on the Star four years ago.....totally unimpressed. It'd take an exceptionally priced deal to lure us back.
'

It's so interesting how different people are.

We went on our first cruise two years ago - on the Star. It was a 37 day B2B2B2B (Caribbean, TA, Norway, Baltic). We weren't even sure if we'd like cruising at all.

We loved it. Every second of it. Everything about it. And we did it in an inside cabin (they felt sorry for us and moved us to an oceanview for the last nine days).

We'll be back on the Star in November for another TA.

cruiselover19811981,

A rule of thumb: no loyalty to any cruise line.

Three things that limit cruise life:

1. Budget

2. Free time

3. Loyalty to a particular cruise line

Enjoy the best option when and where it's available.

No loyalty.

Happy cruising!

I agree. IMO, those who are loyal to one line are unnecessarily limiting their options. They often don't know what they're missing.

Edited by tarheelmjfan

I also agree with this. We've cruised on Princess & have taken multiple cruises on Celebrity. The worst cruise I've been on was NCL Star. I've seen enough positives to give NCL another try, but another cruise like that one will be the last. FWIW, we think Celebrity is better than Princess, but we'll also give Princess another try.

I agree. IMO, those who are loyal to one line are unnecessarily limiting their options. They often don't know what they're missing.
Many of them insist they are happy and feel no need to change. I feel sorry for these people because in reality they say this out of fear. I can't believe how many people have only sailed one line. I also can't believe some of these same people have sailed the same ship 12 times on the same itinerary 7 of those times ...... all without trying another line.

Cowmilker &Tarheelmjfan, yes - - - good points that one should consider. In looking back at our own cruise history: we sailed our very 1st on Voyager with RCL on a Christmas cruise for our honeymoon in 2005. Had a balcony and knew then & there we loved cruising. Our 2nd cruise was a much smaller ship, 7 years later with Carnival, an inside room. Many told us "It's a step down, you won't like it as much, food won't be as good, the ship is nothing special." Honestly, I have said it before & will say it again that we have sailed 3 lines, ships of various sizes, and have enjoyed the food, entertainment, activities, service & ports on each line. They all have their own uniqueness. So in what you & others have said, sticking to "one line" when I only want to sail in July/August when I'm off of work, would limit us greatly. I would not want to sail exact same itinerary multiple times. We like exploring new ports, new itineraries AND new ships

Being Loyal to NCL for us meant not having to dress up for dinner or eating with the same people at dinner, we love the freestyle. We love the itineraries for transatlantics, ( our destination preference) and the fact that once upon a time NCL had the best prices for them. We used to love the personal touch for recurring customers which has changed throughout the years. Are we as loyal now? hmmmm not so much, we are keeping our options open and may give NCL a pause for a while..

Edited by spanishguy1970