Brittania Dress Code...confused

tapyeno

Hi

We are going on the Mediterranean Cruise in September. The dress code appears to be specific for formal nights and restaurants after 6pm, but not so for the bars and buffet. Are tailored shorts acceptable form of dress for these areas? I have been wearing shorts all Summer and do not like the idea of having to wear trousers whilst on holiday.

Many thanks.

Don't phone P&O as you will get different answers on different days, the dress code is quite clearly stated on the website, and in the personaliser. I will take written advice over verbal every time.

The minimum required to dine in the main dining rooms and the select (pay extra for) restaurants is smart casual. Shorts (and trainers) are not allowed.

On formal nights the minimum is jacket and tie. (Select Restaurants only require smart casual).

Certain venues also enforce the dress code after 6pm. (Which ones are well advertised on board in the daily programme, and with signs outside the doors).

You can use the buffet and other venues but you may feel out of place, as the dress code is well observed on P&O.

How strictly the code is enforced does vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise depending on the captain, restaurant managers bar managers etc. So you will get posters saying different things, but I have stated the P&O official line as in their literature.

As a previous poster has said it can be quite chilly indoors, even during the day.

From P&O's website -

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

Our last cruise (Azura) my wife was unwell so I went to buffet to get something light to take down to stateroom, I was still wearing shorts and t shirt...(normally dress for dinner) this was around 6-00pm...I was stopped at the door and asked to put on long trousers, even after explaining that I was not going to eat in there, he insisted I do this, went down and threw on a pair of jeans and was in no mood to argue with anyone about it....he let me in ,I was there about 3/4 minutes, and left.....I understand about the dress code, and we ALWAYS dress accordingly...never the less I do think this guy was OTT ,especially as he knew the circumstances

Our last cruise (Azura) my wife was unwell so I went to buffet to get something light to take down to stateroom, I was still wearing shorts and t shirt...(normally dress for dinner) this was around 6-00pm...I was stopped at the door and asked to put on long trousers, even after explaining that I was not going to eat in there, he insisted I do this, went down and threw on a pair of jeans and was in no mood to argue with anyone about it....he let me in ,I was there about 3/4 minutes, and left.....I understand about the dress code, and we ALWAYS dress accordingly...never the less I do think this guy was OTT ,especially as he knew the circumstances

Probably been caught out by similar explanations by less scrupulous people than you, who then proceeded to sit and eat. Also makes it harder for him to turn others away if he was seen to let you through for whatever reason.

Hi

We are going on the Mediterranean Cruise in September. The dress code appears to be specific for formal nights and restaurants after 6pm, but not so for the bars and buffet. Are tailored shorts acceptable form of dress for these areas? I have been wearing shorts all Summer and do not like the idea of having to wear trousers whilst on holiday.

Many thanks.

We saw a gentleman being refused service in a bar wearing shorts - it was early evening and they were obviously between shore/changing for dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been in The Crows Nest shortly after 6pm on several occasions. I have witnessed passengers, who had been there for some time and hadn't yet changed out of shorts and t shirts, being spoken to by staff. They weren't thrown out, and allowed to finish their drinks (if they had any) but were refused any further service.

I think it depends on the situation. On our Norway cruise the Crows Nest was a good place to watch sail away. Most people were wearing casual and warm clothes after 6pm even in the Crows Nest. As a rule of thumb I would try and finish my drink and leave before 6pm but would no worry too much. My day clothes would often meet the smart casual code anyway. Formal nights would be a different matter.

Best wishes, Stephen.

The OP has had their reply. Obviously not what they wanted to hear and has not come back.

Yes agreed, although probably not what they wanted to hear hopefully it will not spoil their cruise.

I hope they have an enjoyable time.

The OP has had their reply. Obviously not what they wanted to hear and has not come back.
I do find it disappointing that when someone asks a question, and gets several replies, that the do not have the good grace to come back and say "Thank you" even if the answer is not what they wanted.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I like dress codes to be adhered to. There's no reason why they shouldn't be and ignorance is no excuse, the information is in all the brochures, internet and your personaliser.

Except the whole concept of a dress code is bizarre to newcomers.

Our friends joined us on a recent cruise and had nothing remotely formal with them. They are a shorts and flip flops type and it never entered their head they’d need to follow a dress code.

Our friends joined us on a recent cruise and had nothing remotely formal with them. They are a shorts and flip flops type and it never entered their head they’d need to follow a dress code.

I've stayed in many hotels than enforce a dress code in the evening, so cruises are not alone in this regard. I would have thought you would have told your friends that they would require more than shorts and flip flops.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I’m sorry but common sense tells me that I do a bit of research into what I’m buying, whether that’s booking a hotel room or a cruise or whatever. I know everyone’s different and I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I certainly wouldn’t just book a cruise without talking to others, reading around what I’m getting which would include reading the brochures and seeing if what I’m booking suits my needs or not. That way I’ll make an informed choice hopefully.

I too find that hard to believe. It is the number 1 excuse non cruisers use as to why they don't want to go on a cruise. Your friends didn't read the info sent to them/available on the website from the cruise company? You didn't tell them?

It is. It is also bizarre to many of us experienced cruisers.

Seriousy, I can understand peoples confusion. Not least because there is no consistency within the industry or even within cruise groups. So for example, within the Carnival group Cunard has a more restrictive code than P&O, whilst in the Royal Carribean Group Celebrity has a more relaxed code than the parent company. Nor is it a matter of price with the small up market ships of Ociania Azamara and Star Clippers having a more relaxed code than say P&O.

There is only one answer. Before you book a cruise, find out from the brochure or online what the dress code will be and if it is too restictive for your tastes look elsewhere. Dont book anyway and then expect to be made an exception. You will not be, nor is there any reason why you should.