Biggest mistake on the Royal Class

stevenr597

We have been on both the Royal and Regal Princess. There are many excellent features into this class and I would certainly recommend them.

But like any class, there is room for improvement.

A) Lack of a true walk around Promenade Deck.

B) Separate dining room for Club Class.

C) Bigger balconies.

But the greatest deficiency is the lack of a covered swimming pool.

There hasn’t been a covered pool built on any Princess ship in over a decade. Probably longer. There hasn’t been a true walk-around Promenade deck since then either. Maybe new ships will have a separate dining room for Club Class but that’s not something Princess should retrofit on all ships.

Sapphire Princess does have a dedicated dining room.

I forgot that they have more dining rooms than most other ships. That makes sense that they could covert one without any modifications. Maybe they did that with the Diamond Princess too since it is the Sapphire's sister ship.

I did mention that I thought that the Royal Class had many excellent things about it.

In addition, I did not say to retrofit this class of ships, rather they should consider changes in their new construction.

Club Class is Princess attempt to complete with Aqua Class on Celebrity, which does have a separate dining room (Blu), and by the way does have a covered pool.

Lack of a true walk around Promenade Deck. - this has been complained about frequently - One has to look at what is currently in the locations where the extra decking would go and decide where else to put those items - either something else would disappear or the ship would have to be larger on all decks and therefore more passengers using all the facilities.

Club Class is Princess attempt to complete with Aqua Class on Celebrity, which does have a separate dining room (Blu)

Club Class Dining (which is a stateroom perk) and Aqua Class on Celebrity (which is a self-contained cabin category meant to convey an entirely different cruise experience) are two entirely different animals. Dining in BLU is not for Full Suite passengers, just for those who pay for a specific cabin class--mainly to dine in a separate dining room with no formal nights, which was X's main marketing tool for Aqua Class before they stopped enforcing formal nights in the peon's MDR.

BLU has an entirely different menu from the X MDR, not just one or two supplemental dishes. When I was on Celebrity Infinity a few years ago (which will absolutely be my first and last Celebrity cruise) any Aqua Class passenger who did not care for the night's menu in BLU could walk over to the Select dining room--and be placed at the front of the line, ahead of those actually enrolled in Select Dining.

So feh on Aqua Class and feh on BLU. But if that is the experience you prefer, as suggested above take your money elsewhere rather than ask Princess to change just for you.

Club Class Dining (which is a stateroom perk) and Aqua Class on Celebrity (which is a self-contained cabin category meant to convey an entirely different cruise experience) are two entirely different animals. Dining in BLU is not for Full Suite passengers, just for those who pay for a specific cabin class--mainly to dine in a separate dining room with no formal nights, which was X's main marketing tool for Aqua Class before they stopped enforcing formal nights in the peon's MDR.

Blu is for Aqua Classified balcony cabins, not suites.

Luminae is for dining room room for suites.

Covered pool - don’t care, they are only heavily used on very cold itineraries.

Separate dining- would be nice given what one pays

Larger balconies- of course

Full promenade deck- don’t care , plenty of places to walk.

I have to agree about the covered pool...what's a pool when it's inside

Separate dining....Hmmm Titanic class levels come to mind

Larger balconies...how much wider could they expand the ship to accommodate 50 sq ft balconies to make everyone happy. I guess to accommodate the hammocks, laundry lines, grills, pools and whatever else can be brought

Full promenade deck...make the runners and joggers happy, not on the top deck, but on Deck 7...add to the same width of the upper balconies. Then make a new deck for people who want to sit and enjoy the views, without the sound of "coming through, slap, slap, slap of the running shoes, and the risk of being knocked over when walking.

The dreadful Princess Live needs to go, don’t know anyone who likes it.

I don't mind it. When I first saw it, I thought it was a step down, but as someone who drinks very little I always felt I was taking up space in Explorers that Princess intended to be occupied by a bar customer.

Another Thread or example of people making suggestions/opinions of what they would like to see changed.

However, you always have those who think they should not change anything. OK, express your opinion.

However, why do you have to say 'if you don't like it go to another cruise line?' People do without you telling them to do so. Personally, that is not a very value added statement. It just shows your lack of civility!

I agree that I would like to see an indoor pool area. Regardless, if that has not been done on any new ship recently.

I would like to see the PEP happy hour changed instead of charging $6.99 for a drink you may not want. Especially when some are saying that it is really watered down compare to what they got with their package.

We have been on both the Royal and Regal Princess. There are many excellent features into this class and I would certainly recommend them.

But like any class, there is room for improvement.

A) Lack of a true walk around Promenade Deck.

B) Separate dining room for Club Class.

C) Bigger balconies.

But the greatest deficiency is the lack of a covered swimming pool.

I guess we all have our personal likes & dislikes.

A) I really thought this would be a problem for us before we cruised on the Royal class. It turns out we like the walking track better than walking on the Promenade. On the track they have 2 lanes one for the walkers & one for the runners. I like being on top of the ship.

B) Don't care we will not be booking a club class cabin. We don't see any benefit to us.

C) I agree with this one, balcony size is very small but it is what it is.

A significant omission to me on the Royal/Regal is the lack of anywhere, inside or outside, to get a forward view unless you purchase the Sanctuary. Exacerbating the problem is a general lack of good outside viewing locations for the number of passengers on board. While probably not a problem for some cruises, these ships would not be a good choice for a sightseeing cruises such as Alaska or Chilean fjords.

We'll never do club class on a pre-Royal class ship because the mini-suites with covered balcony we always reserve are not designated a club class cabin. We much prefer those cabins (and their pricing) over those of the club class minis. We might consider one on a Royal class ship in the future if, and only if, the price difference was not substantial.

A) Lack of a true walk around Promenade Deck..

here is a video of the promenade deck i found on youtube:

at first, it appears to be a horrible layout but then i sailed on other ship on other cruises line that have a similar configuration. while it does ruin the whole promenade outdoor deck feel, atleast they are some spots were you can still see the ocean

So is the Promenade Deck not like this on other Princess ships? I will be on the Island Princess, our first time on Princess, and I was just wondering. I have always liked walking on the Promenade deck on other cruise lines, but the area for walking was just part of the whole width of the deck. People would stand at the railing and people would sit in chairs, and people would walk, all in the same area. I liked it for the shade and being closer to the water. Hardly any of them let me walk around the ship at the bow, but I could at the stern. I always liked to see the wake of the ship closer up.

On Royal Caribbean's Oasis class, there is a walking/jogging track on the lifeboat deck that is two lanes, one for joggers and one for walkers. On the Harmony and I guess on their other new big ships, they added a decent size area with lounge chairs to sit and watch the ocean, off the jogging/walking track.