Snorkel at Palancar Reef

snorkel rick

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies, thought I'd let you know how it was (albeit late).

Seas were fairly rough on this excursion. There were probably 3 dozen people on this excursion, most novice snorkelers. The reef was beautiful, but we were asked to stay near the "dive master", so we spent a lot of time fighting currents to regroup. Would have been a great day to have been scuba diving. I saw four divers just drifiting along down below while we were struggling on the surface. Maybe it's time to get that scuba certification?

"Where I belong"

Grand Princess, 4/2004
Golden Princess, 4/2002

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe it's time to get that scuba certification?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go for it! Scuba diving is [B]SO[/B] much easier than snorkeling, IMHO. No worries about water going down your snorkel or any of that business.

Cozumel's diving is "drift diving," so you do move with the currents. But, the dive shops will only take you to places where your ability and the currents are a match. In other words, they won't take you up to Barracuda Reef where the next stop is Cuba when you're a novice diver.

As for 3 dozen people on your snorkel trip -- my goodness, who did you go with? We do all of our diving and snorkeling with Eagle Ray Divers and the largest the group's ever been, including us, was 8. And that's over probably 20 total trips with them since 2001.

Archived