Voyage Split into Two Segments: #3904; Hong Kong to Singapore, Feb 8 – 22, 2019

Stumblefoot

As we prepare to make our final payment this week, I took a peek to see if fares had changed since our initial deposit and noticed that our 14-day voyage has been split into two segments; a 6-day and 8-day whereby Ho Chi Minh City is the turnaround port. My assumption is that SS split our voyage into two because it was not selling well, because if it were to accommodate a large charter group, then I would expect a certain suite category to be sold-out on one of the short voyages and at this time only the Vista category is sold out and it is on the full 14-day itinerary.

Back in 2013, Silversea introduced a marketing concept they titled "Short Sail" cruises. And, as some of you may remember, our 10-day voyage from Southampton to Copenhagen on the Cloud was split into two separate segments; a 6-day and a 4-day whereby Hamburg, Germany was turnaround the port to accomplish the feat. Upon embarkation in Southampton, a total of 243 passengers were on board representing an 82% capacity level. In Hamburg, a total of 25 passengers disembarked while 36 new passengers embarked, including 25 Japanese nationals, bringing the total to 254 passengers or 84% capacity.

Back then, in general, we noticed very little impact from the short sail voyages. We were still able to dine in any venue of our choosing on the dates we preferred, the entertainment didn't repeat any shows, and the pool was never crowded. The only noticeable difference was in the fitness center whereby it was busier during the 2nd voyage. All in all, no big deal.

We originally selected this itinerary because (1) as semi empty nesters we love being able to travel during the school year, (2) my DW has never visited any of the Asian ports (other than transiting at the airport) before and (3) I figured a length of 14-days would be too long for a large charter group to undertake. So, our fingers are crossed the results will be similar during our upcoming Asia cruise.

I would not worry.

I think your analysis is correct: The cruise is not selling all that well and they thought they might increase sales by offering a couple of shorter cruises. There are many people who can't afford to take two weeks plus off work but can take 6 or 8 days. I imagine they will get a handful of additional passengers for these shorter voyages but that they will not greatly affect the experience for those taking the full cruise.

As we prepare to make our final payment this week, I took a peek to see if fares had changed since our initial deposit and noticed that our 14-day voyage has been split into two segments; a 6-day and 8-day whereby Ho Chi Minh City is the turnaround port. My assumption is that SS split our voyage into two because it was not selling well, because if it were to accommodate a large charter group, then I would expect a certain suite category to be sold-out on one of the short voyages and at this time only the Vista category is sold out and it is on the full 14-day itinerary.

Back in 2013, Silversea introduced a marketing concept they titled "Short Sail" cruises. And, as some of you may remember, our 10-day voyage from Southampton to Copenhagen on the Cloud was split into two separate segments; a 6-day and a 4-day whereby Hamburg, Germany was turnaround the port to accomplish the feat. Upon embarkation in Southampton, a total of 243 passengers were on board representing an 82% capacity level. In Hamburg, a total of 25 passengers disembarked while 36 new passengers embarked, including 25 Japanese nationals, bringing the total to 254 passengers or 84% capacity.

Back then, in general, we noticed very little impact from the short sail voyages. We were still able to dine in any venue of our choosing on the dates we preferred, the entertainment didn't repeat any shows, and the pool was never crowded. The only noticeable difference was in the fitness center whereby it was busier during the 2nd voyage. All in all, no big deal.

We originally selected this itinerary because (1) as semi empty nesters we love being able to travel during the school year, (2) my DW has never visited any of the Asian ports (other than transiting at the airport) before and (3) I figured a length of 14-days would be too long for a large charter group to undertake. So, our fingers are crossed the results will be similar during our upcoming Asia cruise.

we are on 3904 & 3905 which is HK-Singapore-HK , 28 days. with a hotel inc before & after. haven' been advised of any change.

Hi Stumblefoot, I'll be on 3905, right after you -- 14 days Singapore to Hong Kong. My cruise was split several months ago, with a turnaround point in HCMC. I notice today, though, that the second half of the split, which is entirely Vietnam until we reach Hong Kong, no longer appears. Vistas and Medallions are sold out.

Also, about a month ago, two mid-cruise land excursions in Cambodia appeared: a 4-day excursion to Angkor Wat which meets up with the ship in HCMC, and an overnight to Phnom Penh and the killing fields. It looks to me like they are probably marketing that first half of 3905 separately, as it has a new port with two exciting land programs.

When I saw the split, I have to admit I did wonder about whether a charter would be involved. I'm glad to hear your experience with another split was positive.

Thanks all. I appreciate your comments.

I noticed today that Vista suite availability has re-appeared for voyage #3904 with pricing -20% less than the cheapest Veranda suite class.

We would love to do this cruise in either direction. Unfortunately it always seems to be around Jan/Feb and both Hong Kong and parts of Vietnam are too chilly for us at that time of year.
Your reply made my smile Joolsverne! It's all about perspective I guess. :) Living at altitude (7,500') like we do, temps in the upper 70's to lower 90's in mid-February sounds dreamy to us. This way, when we return home, we'll be ready to enjoy our two snowiest months of the year when the skiing is best; March and April.

• 2 months later...

Returning to this thread to say that yesterday I changed my mind about the mid-voyage journeys after attending a lecture that made me want to visit the genocide museum and the killing fields (I know, that is a sentence I never thought I would write). So, I'm doing a 1-night mid-cruise land journey to Phnom Penh after all. We leave the morning we dock in Sihanoukville, and return to the ship just about the time it is getting ready to leave port the next day.

Stumblefoot: did you and your family decide to do either of the mid-voyage journeys you were considering?

Stumblefoot and Observer: The sailing I'm on has been sold out for quite some time now. Concerned that it might have been filled with a charter or large group, I asked my SS guy. He looked it up and said it was definitely not a charter, just a very full cruise. Relieved!

Edited to add: I think I mistakenly posted this on the wrong thread, but I hope the sentiment reaches the right people 🙂

Edited by Unibok
oops

• 2 weeks later...

We had pretty much the same thing happen on our 18-day Rome to Dubai cruise on the Spirit. I kind of got the feeling the cruise wasn’t selling well as there were no waitlisted categories except for maybe the top one or two.   Not a for sure analysis but made me wonder.   It was a very front loaded itinerary with most of the main ports visited in the first eight to nine days then a long stretch of sea days mixed with a few minor port stops.  I can’t remember exactly when but about two or so months out Silversea came out with split option to book just the first eight days.   We stayed with the full 18-day cruise but did meet people who booked the 8-day portion.   Not many but a few and mostly families with a few children.   I can’t recall the exact number but I’d say the full 18-day cruise was maybe 80-85% booked.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, Unibok said:

Stumblefoot: did you and your family decide to do either of the mid-voyage journeys you were considering?

Unibok,

Yesterday, I booked both the Hanoi and Angkor Wat mid-voyage land adventures.  I don’t know if we’ll be in this part of the world again, so decided now is the right time to go.

Also, very excited to see that our Meet & Mingle is up to 10-people now!

On my shadow cruise earlier this year, SS split ours also  by offering two variants, one having a different start point. It honestly made no difference. It just meant there were a few empty cabins at the beginning which SS managed to fill on “part two”.

Glad you sorted your cruise highlight tours. I have to admit If I were to do Angkor War, id begrudge paying for the trip AND the nights off ship but understand your reasoning and why SS do it. I do think they should offer a small refund though. After all, the Butler is not going to be offering room service for all the food and drink you’ll be missing out on!

i know you’ll enjoy.

Edited by les37b

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Unibok,

Yesterday, I booked both the Hanoi and Angkor Wat mid-voyage land adventures.  I don’t know if we’ll be in this part of the world again, so decided now is the right time to go.

Also, very excited to see that our Meet & Mingle is up to 10-people now!

Thanks for the follow-up, and enjoy! They should both be fascinating! Have you received a Silver Box for your sailing yet? I'm obviously 2 weeks behind you for everything (obviously), but as I leave for Asia in 3 weeks, I'm wishing it would arrive soon. We're all within 90 days now.

I think I'm the only one signed up so far for the M&M on my voyage. Oh well. Glad to hear that yours is robust -- should be fun!

Les, I hear you. I really deliberated over taking the mid-voyage trip to Phnom Penh for exactly the reasons you note. A key factor was that a book group I joined was discussing war memorials throughout Asia with the author of the book we had read, and he spoke at some length about the genocide museum and killing fields. It made me feel like I needed to go for a host of reasons. Ultimately I decided I would rather go there with others than by myself, given its sobering and emotionally laden content, and the price for the SS overnight excursion was reasonable. 

8 hours ago, Unibok said:

Have you received a Silver Box for your sailing yet? I'm obviously 2 weeks behind you for everything (obviously), but as I leave for Asia in 3 weeks, I'm wishing it would arrive soon. We're all within 90 days now.

I’m afraid not.  I’ll let you know when it does though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m afraid not.  I’ll let you know when it does though.

Ask and you shall receive -- mine arrived today!

The timing of that is actually a bit eerie.

Edited by Unibok

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

Ask and you shall receive -- mine arrived today!

The timing of that is actually a bit eerie.

Well, since your voyage is after mine, hopefully the silver box makes its way over the river and through the woods to my house soon.  😉

• Like 1