obnoxious neighbors

purplethorn

Thank you so much. Yes I will be flying tomorrow to join the great friends I have met on Cruise Critic especially CUontheC. We actually went to meet them (Mary & Randy) in Cleveland (we live in New York) this past July. It turned out to be the best time of our lives. We felt like we knew them forever and so looking forward to seeing them again. I am also in touch with our new friends from Bermuda (Sandra & Leroy) who we will meet in Seattle tomorrow for a get together. I love the fact that we can meet people we have never met before but feel so close to them by the time of the cruise. I really hope that people on Cruise Critic really become a family instead of all this bickering and condescending attitudes that some have adopted.

Wonderful story!

I hope so too, but hope that it is a functional family, not a dysfunctional one! :D;p

Amy - my mother had a lot of great sayings, but one of the best (that I have used 1,000,000 times) is “Your rights end where my nose begins”! I always though that sums up nicely that fact that none of us have rights that are not curbed by the rights of others (and usually and notably ignored by a lot of the people like describe here!)

Mom always knows ("nose"...get it?) best....

Sometimes we do sometimes we don't but we never SLAM the door.

Let’s try it this way. It is incredibly inconsiderate to do nothing and allow the door to make a loud slamming noise when you exit said door. Others may be trying to sleep or nap and all you have to do is hold the door as it closes. The act of allowing the door to slam on its own is slamming the door but I won’t split hairs with you on that. The act of doing nothing to prevent the door from Making a slamming noice (on its own!) is rude and inconsiderate of others. Not to mention extremely easy to prevent. These are the kind of manners we learn as children...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have been somewhat disheartened by the tone of CC lately but when I think about it, it has just been a couple of obnoxious people.

Well if we all "ignore" IT then he/she will be talking to him or her/self!

I see you are cruising in a couple days! Have a great cruise!!

I have been thinking about this for a while now. It seems as though a post will be going along, people discussing a topic civilly, and then one of these flavors of troll will show up to bring the discourse to an utter halt:

• The Offended- they'll post a comment to the effect that the poster is being self centered and petty for worrying about whatever the topic was (lack of straws, natural disasters, etc.)
  • The I've Been Here Forever- they post a comment expressing disdain at the idiotic question or concern expressed, mentioning that how to tip a butler has been covered umpteen million times before.
  • The Judge- a comment is made in all seriousness, and they show up to dismissively tell the commenter how laughable they are for holding an opinion or for doing whatever behavior was mentioned.

NONE of these people contribute constructively to the discussion and I wonder every time, why don't they just scroll by and leave people to it?

My solution to all three of the above is just to move on to the next post rather than give them the attention they seek.

And that's absolutely the best way to deal with them!

But I always feel badly, everyone else who was "playing well with others" on the thread walks away and a discussion that WAS going well dies on the vine. Unless it burns in flames, of course...

:loudcry::loudcry::eek::(

it is my first short cruise , hope its not my last ... I think NCL might be a good fit for us for future sailings I don't want to get disappointed

We went on a 3 day cruise last Nov. on the Sky, which has drinks included. I was afraid it would be a "booze" cruise (not looking forward to that), but was pleasantly surprised it was not! We really enjoyed our short weekend trip! Hopefully, you will have a good experience, too!

I have been thinking about this for a while now. It seems as though a post will be going along, people discussing a topic civilly, and then one of these flavors of troll will show up to bring the discourse to an utter halt:

• The Offended- they'll post a comment to the effect that the poster is being self centered and petty for worrying about whatever the topic was (lack of straws, natural disasters, etc.)
  • The I've Been Here Forever- they post a comment expressing disdain at the idiotic question or concern expressed, mentioning that how to tip a butler has been covered umpteen million times before.
  • The Judge- a comment is made in all seriousness, and they show up to dismissively tell the commenter how laughable they are for holding an opinion or for doing whatever behavior was mentioned.

NONE of these people contribute constructively to the discussion and I wonder every time, why don't they just scroll by and leave people to it?

Very nice analysis and spot on! I wonder too.

If you do need to snitch on a bad neighbor, who do you call? Customer service or just dial the operator? I have not been on an NCL cruise before. On two Viking cruises, I never had a problem. I know for general complaints you can call the Hotel Director. :confused:

If you do need to snitch on a bad neighbor, who do you call? Customer service or just dial the operator? I have not been on an NCL cruise before. On two Viking cruises, I never had a problem. I know for general complaints you can call the Hotel Director. :confused:
The one time I had a problem, (smokers on next deck over), I told the room steward. It was taken care of. Had that not worked, I think customer service would have been my next call.

The one time I had a problem, (smokers on next deck over), I told the room steward. It was taken care of. Had that not worked, I think customer service would have been my next call.

I hate smoking and vaping. I expect my cruise to be windy and cold. So not sure if people will try to smoke on their balconies.

I think that you summed up the problem nicely (with the caveat that on ocassion people are offended because a post is offensive)! Poster #2 and #3 make it less likely that anyone will post on a thread (not wanting to set themselves as a target). Small bits of language become a way to heckle and demean (and it is not easy to post from cell phones and pads without small keys and auto-correct creating havoc in posts no matter the education or intelligence of the poster!). :o

There is a “flying” website that has forums where the latter 2 categories listed have become the norm. If you post, there is around an 80% or greater chance that someone will “come after” you for something. And if you DARE post something covered elsewhere on the boards (even years back), a mod actually removes the post and sends you are pointed and insulting message (crazy, but true). It has turned their boards into an unfriendly place where only very aggressive individuals who are unable to be insulted themselves and enjoy sparing and out-and-out fights are left.

I don’t know the solution to this problem, but I know it certainly effects the willingness of the average poster to put forth opinions, questions, and other commentary. It seems to be the way the world has turned in general over the last few years, but I so hope they don’t ever dominate here since there is such good information and some very nice and interesting cruisers! :)

The 2 Beeze

>>> Dictated but not read. :')

I think that you summed up the problem nicely (with the caveat that on ocassion people are offended because a post is offensive)! Poster #2 and #3 make it less likely that anyone will post on a thread (not wanting to set themselves as a target). Small bits of language become a way to heckle and demean (and it is not easy to post from cell phones and pads without small keys and auto-correct creating havoc in posts no matter the education or intelligence of the poster!). :o

There is a “flying” website that has forums where the latter 2 categories listed have become the norm. If you post, there is around an 80% or greater chance that someone will “come after” you for something. And if you DARE post something covered elsewhere on the boards (even years back), a mod actually removes the post and sends you are pointed and insulting message (crazy, but true). It has turned their boards into an unfriendly place where only very aggressive individuals who are unable to be insulted themselves and enjoy sparing and out-and-out fights are left.

I don’t know the solution to this problem, but I know it certainly effects the willingness of the average poster to put forth opinions, questions, and other commentary. It seems to be the way the world has turned in general over the last few years, but I so hope they don’t ever dominate here since there is such good information and some very nice and interesting cruisers! :)

The 2 Beeze

>>> Dictated but not read. :')

I think the best solution is that others should stand up to the trolls and call them on their mean-spirited, rude or unconstructive comments. But it is the hardest because it is counter to the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything" rule most of us believe in, and the potential it has of fanning the flames!

Sometimes the correct answer to a given question may not be "nice" but it may be honest. Not agreeing with an answer, not getting the exact answer you want, or an answer not supporting your demand for a free cruise because room service forgot to pre-butter your toast and cut it square instead of on a diagonal is not being snarky, mean, a troll, or rude - it is honest.
Hopefully we can agree that when i choose to be "honest" i should consider the impact of the wording I choose and seek to empathize even when disagreeing. Trolls of any flavor do not do that, they are about themselves, not community. I think this is a behavior many do in online forums, not being face-to-face, they say things in ways they wouldn't in person because they have no gauge of the impact of their words.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

Hopefully we can agree that when i choose to be "honest" i should consider the impact of the wording I choose and seek to empathize even when disagreeing.

Some people are just easily offended when presented with a truth that they don't want to hear/read.

For example....

Question: Can I .....?

Answer: No.

Question: But what if I just...?

Question: But I read on the forum that someone was able to so can I...?

Question: Why are you so rude and snarky?

A "one word" answer is perfectly acceptable at times.

I met a lady in the buffet early on in the 14 day cruise and it was her first. She had a book and was telling me how she wanted to just have a drink and sit somewhere quiet to read. I told her basically to go back to the room.

Then again I told to be wary of balcony noise and lovers next door. Her reply was "no more cruises for me"

LOL....dramatic much?:rolleyes:

I think the best solution is that others should stand up to the trolls and call them on their mean-spirited, rude or unconstructive comments. But it is the hardest because it is counter to the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything" rule most of us believe in, and the potential it has of fanning the flames!

And the matter is complicated by the fact that sometimes a few of those who believe they are right and “righteous” are applying an equal dose of nastiness and derision themselves and are a big part of the problem (despite the fact they won’t recognize themselves in that description).

And the matter is complicated by the fact that sometimes a few of those who believe they are right and “righteous” are applying an equal dose of nastiness and derision themselves and are a big part of the problem (despite the fact they won’t recognize themselves in that description).
[emoji106] [emoji106] Dang it, Cruise Critic needs a "like" button! [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

As I have seen other comment, I cannot control how one reacts to my posts nor am I in charge of anyone else's feelings. Those parameters are 100% under the control of the other person, just as is my reaction to your posts or those of any other member of this (or any) forum. Do you not recall the old rhyme about sticks and stones?

We are all in control over what we write. We can try to be courteous or not. It's up to us. We can put forward our point of view without being rude.

We are all in control over what we write. We can try to be courteous or not. It's up to us. We can put forward our point of view without being rude.

True - but - I honestly think most of us are wasting our breath (and I am sorry to say so). The understanding that one’s rights must be restricted to make room for the rights of others is never going to be heard by some. They believe their rights are primary and they will never, ever change. They believe that if you are hurt it is your fault (a view which provides for no responsibility on that individual’s part). The tactic is “I do what I wish and I have a right to do that no matter the consequences as those are not my concern.” They see someone as wrong for being hurt rather than themselves as wrong for administering the pain (even whe objective observes would not agree). They will never see another’s point of view, nor ever see the other person as equal.

As someone mentioned earlier, this thread started as amusing and (like too many threads recently) turned into something really unpleasant (and I already deal with mental health disturbances at work, it’s too much to have to deal with them in my free time! :o ).

So sadly, I would say it’s time to put this thread to bed :) Night night all :*

true - but - i honestly think most of us are wasting our breath (and i am sorry to say so). The understanding that one’s rights must be restricted to make room for the rights of others is never going to be heard by some. They believe their rights are primary and they will never, ever change. They believe that if you are hurt it is your fault (a view which provides for no responsibility on that individual’s part). The tactic is “i do what i wish and i have a right to do that no matter the consequences as those are not my concern.” they see someone as wrong for being hurt rather than themselves as wrong for administering the pain (even whe objective observes would not agree). They will never see another’s point of view, nor ever see the other person as equal.

As someone mentioned earlier, this thread started as amusing and (like too many threads recently) turned into something really unpleasant (and i already deal with mental health disturbances at work, it’s too much to have to deal with them in my free time! :o ).

So sadly, i would say it’s time to put this thread to bed :) night night all :*

like button ! ! !