Royal acknowledges too hard mattresses?

BillOh

I think Royal has gotten the word that their newer beds are too hard, I used the special needs email to request a mattress topper for my upcoming cruise. The reply I got was, "All mattresses now come with a double mattress pad. Egg crates toppers are no longer available for sanitary reasons."

I must be the only person who loves the extra hard mattresses.....

I assume with the number of cruises you probably have done you have seen the difference since around 2015 and later? I don't mind a firm mattress, but as a person who sleeps on his side, its too hard when you wake up in either numbness or extreme pain. I tried to answer the phone wake up call on morning on Majesty and couldn't move my arm. Most of the day it had limited motion. I think I should have gotten a free massage! ;)

I assume with the number of cruises you probably have done you have seen the difference since around 2015 and later? I don't mind a firm mattress, but as a person who sleeps on his side, its too hard when you wake up in either numbness or extreme pain. I tried to answer the phone wake up call on morning on Majesty and couldn't move my arm. Most of the day it had limited motion. I think I should have gotten a free massage! ;)

Yup. As I said, I’m weird. I sleep mostly on my stomach though

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ha this is so funny because we noticed it in Anthem last year. We'll be glad to have a bit of a softer nights sleep next time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was in the Army and learned to sleep just about anywhere, on any surface, but the week we spent on Anthem last fall was the worst sleep experience I've ever had. I ended up having to sleep in the opposite direction (my head where your feet would normally be at the bottom of the bed), and that only provided marginal relief.

Glad to see they finally acknowledged the problem.

I was in the Army and learned to sleep just about anywhere, on any surface, but the week we spent on Anthem last fall was the worst sleep experience I've ever had. I ended up having to sleep in the opposite direction (my head where your feet would normally be at the bottom of the bed), and that only provided marginal relief.

Glad to see they finally acknowledged the problem.

It is nice to see and I wonder how many complaints they got before they finally gave in.

SPOOKWIFE.

I'm with you, I like the new mattresses.

We were on Oasis for 2 weeks in June, I was disappointed there was a topper on the bed.My husband wouldn't let me take it off.

I'm a side sleeper by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Do you think a double mattress pad will work to provide softness like an egg crate? My last cruise on celebrity they put a duvet on top of my mattress pad, better but not the same as an egg crate.

When you have a bad back and a hard mattress aggravates it, no I have not found any mattress pads that can help at all.

Do you think a double mattress pad will work to provide softness like an egg crate? My last cruise on celebrity they put a duvet on top of my mattress pad, better but not the same as an egg crate.

IMO it's marginally better, not as good as RC's mattresses of a few years ago, but on my Majesty trip last year I was able to sleep without numbness or pain.

My wife and I just cruised and the mattress was painfully hard. She had back surgery last November and couldn't wait to get home to our 15" pillowtop with a memory foam topper. We're both side sleepers and found the mattresses way too firm and uncomfortable to not wake up with aches and pains. I guess it's to be expected when it's over a slab of plywood and not a box spring at least.:o

Nope, I could sleep on the Floor and have good nites sleep. But know 18+ months ago Serenade and Brilliance both replaced all their mattresses from those rock hard ones to just firm. Was on both doing B2B's when they boarding was held up extra 2hrs...

If you look at WalMart online, you can find foam mattress toppers for king size beds for less then $25. For our transatlantic next spring I plan on bringing one with me, and just leaving on the bed when we leave. I'm not willing to risk 16 nights sleeping in pain!

Nope, I could sleep on the Floor and have good nites sleep. Unfortunately can't make everyone happy, some like hard, some soft, rest in the middle. Know my parents use to their bed and never get good nite sleep in an hotel, home, cruise. I been traveling since 1986, use to different beds sometimes every nite... But do know Royal 18+ months ago Serenade and then Brilliance both replaced all their mattresses from those rock hard ones to just firm. Was on both doing B2B2B's when they held up boarding extra 1-2hrs for couple cruises

I have no reason not too.

There's a brand new EN review thread by a first time cruiser. They absolutely loved their EN cruise and can't wait to book and sail again. Out of everything (food, entertainment, etc.), guess what their only complaint was? Yep, the hard, uncomfortable bed!

It is nice to see and I wonder how many complaints they got before they finally gave in.

They have been doing this for months, nothing new

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They have been doing this for months, nothing new

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For at least the last year, we've called Special Needs pre-cruise for extra padding and still find the mattresses uncomfortably hard.

For at least the last year, we've called Special Needs pre-cruise for extra padding and still find the mattresses uncomfortably hard.

I include mattress hardness on every post cruise survey. Royal needs to fix this.