Tenders, Lifeboats and Davits: Will My Deck 6 Cabin Be Partially Obstructed?

vtcruising

We're in 6151...looks like it'll have the lifeboat/tender in front. Is there any indication yet of how obstructed it will be? The price of our cruise jumped up very significantly after we booked it, so the price of an upgraded room is outside of what we have budgeted for this vacation.

An Edge Single (6143) just became available for our 12/16 cruise and I reserved it for a solo friend. The website did indicate that it was an obstructed view. So ironic that this new category and the new Panoramic OVs are marred by such a negative!

enhance

6151 will just have lifeboat so not too much of an obstruction (will likely just obstruct your view down to the water, but should be able to see out well).

6143 does have the davit which will likely be more annoying, but not totally obstructive. Hopefully they will have a partial decent view. I wonder if they will do something a bit different on the Apex to make this less of an issue?

I changed our IO Panoramic Ocean View room from 6148 to 6138. The only change in our view is now we have a tender launch below our window, 6148 had a Lifeboat below our window. Tender Launches look a little smaller height wise.

I changed because I wanted the sofa area in front of the window so after comparing the IV cabin photos we've seen posted in the last couple of days, and the artist render I have for the IO cabin, I'm sure I'll be very happy with my cabin.286383594_celebrity20edge20cabin206148-6138.thumb.jpeg.b76989429ec0abb28de2f8baf81fff81.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

2081166751_Celebrity20Edge20Overhead-6138.thumb.jpg.4e3d5daf1fa0f7107c6ea07c6662e59c.jpg

cabin-6138-artist-render.thumb.jpg.620290b22a37f79e92fd303e89ba1e57.jpg

6151 will just have lifeboat so not too much of an obstruction (will likely just obstruct your view down to the water, but should be able to see out well).

Thanks - here's hoping it's not too bad. I don't mind not being able to see down, but I want to be able to see out - that's the whole point of floor to ceiling windows, right?

I changed our IO Panoramic Ocean View room from 6148 to 6138. The only change in our view is now we have a tender launch below our window, 6148 had a Lifeboat below our window. Tender Launches look a little smaller height wise.

I changed because I wanted the sofa area in front of the window so after comparing the IV cabin photos we've seen posted in the last couple of days, and the artist render I have for the IO cabin, I'm sure I'll be very happy with my cabin.[ATTACH]428390[/ATTACH][ATTACH]428391[/ATTACH][ATTACH]428392[/ATTACH]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Glad you were able to make the switch..Hope the view does not disappoint!

Other than the newly discovered view blockages., I thought this was a great new addition to cabin choices. This category might work well for travelling with a small child...great view but no open windows or balcony....little kiddos are quite resourceful when it comes to getting outside!

Photos also show the size and height of the niche...if decor can be removed, it could hold some stuff or floral arrangement..Too bad it does not have a shelf!

Hope Vt can measure this on her cruise, for the rest of us..????

Perhaps the pull out tbl could be used for eating a quick bite by using the desk chair and drum pouf as a seat?

Edited by hcat

Thanks - here's hoping it's not too bad. I don't mind not being able to see down, but I want to be able to see out - that's the whole point of floor to ceiling windows, right?

Did you apply for the $500 OBC which has been mentioned as the standard concession for the obstructed views?

Deck 6 seems very much impacted but perhaps an opportunity fir discounted fares...like those impacted by the Magic Carpet

We determined that these are "Quick Escape Cabins" (termed by VT) and not obstructed view cabins and for those worried about ship evacuation they will pay a premium! It is all in the Marketing. Just walk into your lifeboat from your balcony. Maybe you can even use them for additional storage space. LOL!

Regarding the deck 6 obstructions. I am an home cruise agent who booked 4 cabins for our friends and us. I spoke to a supervisor for over an hour. There seems to be some confusion on the letter I received on behalf of one of the couples. The are booked in 6255 and have the 50% davit obstructions. We are in 6257 and don't have the obstruction. The letter stated that if they wanted to upgrade to non obstructed cabin they could for additional fees. When I spoke to the supervisor she said that no they would be offered an " even exchange for any AVAILABLE E 4 cat or higher IE CC or AC. At no additional charge. This was not stated in the letter from Celebrity. I called 2 times and was told that they could get a 500 credit on the cabin, Pay for an upgrade or book a different date. No one mentioned the "even upgrade" I questioned the policy of charging us the current higher prices and there was no answer to this.. Of course by the time I spoke to the supervisor all the cabins were taken.. So there are no cabins available to move to. It is either take the 500 cabin credit or change the sailing date. This would not work for us since there are 4 couples involved. I know Celebrity did not know the shipyard was changing the design but it was unfair to passengers who like us booked long before the ship was built. Granted we got a fantastic price for our cabin which is now more than doubled. BTW they also raised the price for the premium beverage package upgrade from 80 to 129.00!! I think this is the first and last time we will be able to Afford the Edge!! Back to the Silhouette for the next cruise.

I was booked in one of the ES cabins on deck 6. My TA, who is affiliated with a major airline based in Houston [emoji6], called me about a month ago to inform me of the obstructions. For the same price as the ES, they moved me to a E1 on deck 7. They included a Go Best with all 4 perks. Needless to say I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was booked in one of the ES cabins on deck 6. My TA, who is affiliated with a major airline based in Houston [emoji6], called me about a month ago to inform me of the obstructions. For the same price as the ES, they moved me to a E1 on deck 7. They included a Go Best with all 4 perks. Needless to say I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucky you.. As you can see from my previous post. I had no such luck for my clients. I am calling again to make sure Celebrity is aware of the error in the original letter sent to us TA's . Since we are booked in adjoining cabins our friends who have the obstructed view do not want to switch and will take the 500 credit. It is amazing how every one tells me something different. I spoke at length to a Captains club rep and he told me that there would be NO deviations from the original offer of the cabin credit. I joked with him saying can't you even give my Clients a balloon or something Extra for this situation and he said NOPE. No special deals. So you are very very lucky. Good for you

An Edge Single (6143) just became available for our 12/16 cruise and I reserved it for a solo friend. The website did indicate that it was an obstructed view. So ironic that this new category and the new Panoramic OVs are marred by such a negative!

Yes, ironic - booked a "panoramic view" 6227 during pre-build for a March cruise. Took the 500 - gonna stay put, but would think that this beautiful full window is a waste of a panoramic style window.

Yes, ironic - booked a "panoramic view" 6227 during pre-build for a March cruise. Took the 500 - gonna stay put, but would think that this beautiful full window is a waste of a panoramic style window.

The name is unfortunate. Maybe they will rename them and lower the price for those cabins in the future. They are adding 8 single IV's and decreasing the panoramics by 8 on the next ship, Apex. I wonder if they will include the cabins with the davit obstructions in the singles so they aren't called panoramic.

Anyway, glad you received some compensation and hope you will still have a wonderful cruise. :)