Plastic straws

Acrusa

8 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Not where I live....maybe 1% take their own bags. I do for Aldi and Costco.

Well, the rest of the country eventually catches up to California - think smoking restrictions in restaurants and public places  (among many others) :classic_biggrin:

44 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'll put them in the trash and Oceania is responsible not to dump them overboard! Surely they don't dump trash in the ocean!??

And, apparently they still use them but want a deposit??!! Crazy...I refuse to pay a deposit for a straw!

Of  course they do not dump garbage  overboard  you will see big bins in some ports  where the garbage is offloaded

Oceania is NOT  asking for  a deposit 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Of  course they do not dump garbage  overboard  you will see big bins in some ports  where the garbage is offloaded

This is what I thought.....so I don't see any harm in taking my own straws for my personal use for 6 months.

In NYC the government keeps on quashing proposals that would require us to bring our own bags to the market.  I forget whether it's the City of State that does that, I suspect the State.

Under those circumstances we do not a couple of canvas bags to use in transporting our purchases but we also ask for paper bags inside plastic which are easier to carry, even when we are using our shopping cart.

We aren't permitted (legally) to dispose of garbage in plastic bags by law, but most of our residents seem to ignore that ... I assume that will continue to be the case as long as plastic bags are provided at the marketplace.

Mura

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Well, the rest of the country eventually catches up to California - think smoking restrictions in restaurants and public places  (among many others) :classic_biggrin:

Hope the rest of the country NEVER catches up with California.  For most of us they are a foreign country and could fall into the sea fall we care.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2018 at 6:11 PM, JPR said:

Respectfully, I disagree. Paper straws do not have the same mouthfeel and almost inevitably disintegrate. A California 9-year old’s questionable study led to this growing hysteria over plastic straws. John Stossel has a great video on this online. There are items that are far worse for the environment. But these were an easy target, and are the thin end of the spear for zealots.

(And yes, ideally no shipboard non-biodegradable trash should ever end up just blowing into the sea.)

We will bring some plastic and metal straws with us....

A 9 year old did a plastic straw study?  Was it a class project? What was the conclusion of the study?

Also, on your cruise, what will you do with your plastic and metal straws after you use them?  Wash and reuse?

Enjoy your cruise!

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hope the rest of the country NEVER catches up with California.  For most of us they are a foreign country and could fall into the sea fall we care.   

Do you think California cares what the rest of the country thinks?   I don’t think so.  Look at 2016.   :classic_biggrin:  

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-california-economy-gdp-20180504-story.html

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

30 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Do you think California cares what the rest of the country thinks?   I don’t think so.  Look at 2016.   :classic_biggrin:  

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-california-economy-gdp-20180504-story.html

King

So, it must be a red and blue mindset thing.   :classic_laugh:

11 hours ago, rallydave said:

Charging anyone anything when already paying thousands of dollars is simply absurd and don’t think the also absurd charging for plastic bags is universal.  Haven’t and don’t plan on ever paying for a plastic bag to satisfy the idiot tree huggers. 

Paying thousands of dollars for what?  

Sorry I don’t follow what your are saying.  And what are tree huggers?

Where I live the supermarket gives a 5 cent credit, not charge you,  if you use your own bag to bag your groceries.   The supermarket will sell you an eco-friendly paper bag @5 cents If you need one.   But no plastic bags.   Bad for the animals, fish, and birds we rely on for our food.  I bring my own bags to bag my groceries.

So, when you buy groceries how do you carry them? Paper or plastic?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

7 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Paying thousands of dollars for what?  

Also 

For the cruise.

Sorry I don’t follow what your are saying.  And what are tree huggers?

Also known as environmental wackos!!

Where I live the supermarket gives a 5 cent credit, not charge you,  if you use your own bag to bag your groceries.   The supermarket will sell you an eco-friendly paper bag @5 cents If you need one.   But no plastic bags.   Bad for the animals, fish, and birds we rely on for our food.  I bring my own bags to bag my groceries.

We are provided bags at the grocery and our groceries are bagged in plastic.  No option to use paper which we prefer

So, when you buy groceries how do you carry them? Paper or plastic?

Unfortunately in plastic as the stores have discontinued paper  No charge for bags nor payment to return them.  As it should be not withstanding the weird californians.

King

See answers after your questions.

30 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Oceania doesn’t dump trash at sea. Here’s a link to a Marina garbage room tour: 

Is there a charge for that tour? 

Those are the guys I'd prefer to tip. Other than the folks that clean the bathrooms that has to be one of the worst jobs on the ship. 

On 9/1/2018 at 6:20 AM, Rob the Cruiser said:

Wackos indeed. Plastic straws will soon be banned in San Francisco, soft drinks will not be served to children unless accompanied by a parent who orders for them but there will be no problem to continue to get free needles.

So,  do you know why San Francisco gives out free needles?  Are they the only city in the USA that does that?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

35 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So,  do you know why San Francisco gives out free needles?  Are they the only city in the USA that does that?

King

Perhaps they think free needles are a healthy way for shooting up whatever addictive drug? I have no idea. I'm a native Californian and lived in the Bay Area for over 20 years. I couldn't understand anything the San Francisco "leadership" had done. 

I don't know if any other city in the US provides free needles.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

King

Seattle has drug injection sites and provides users needles. It used to be a nicer city, now full of homeless encampments, litter, human waste.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-to-move-forward-with-controversial-plan-for-supervised-injection-site

Cities may go through phases... The original "skid row" aka "skid road" was in Seattle. But that was a long time ago! 

Might I suggest that in case of an emergency straw shortage one might press an ice tea spoon into service. Or is that iced tea spoon?? Full disclosure I am not usually a straw person. I have been known to grab a demitasse spoon from the coffee station in Terrace to use as an egg spoon (for hard-boiled eggs) at breakfast, though. 

13 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not happy that you have to ask for a straw?  Why?

King

Because they should come with your drink or be on the table as your salt and sugar.  Or your server should ask when they take your order.  We are not in California, thank god and never want to be there.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Straughn said:

Ok, here is what I witnessed, a few days ago, at a hamburger/pizza joint. I don’t have to have a straw for my soda in a cup.  However,  I wouldn’t blame the mother in this occurrence  if she never set foot in the place again. 

In line to order. A mother with two elementary school aged children in front of me. She orders their food and asked for straws for the children. (Big signs saying that straws are available by request.) The person taking the order asks the children’s age. Mom says why does that matter. Response: We only provide straws for guests under age 10, elderly, or those with mobility/physical disabilities. Mom says ages are 7&9. Cashier says that there will be a $1.00 per straw deposit and the money will be refunded when the straws are returned so they can be disposed of properly.  Mom asks what happens if they take the drink and straw with them. No deposit refunded as no way to know if straws will be properly recycled.

Yes, folks this is what we have come to...

Interesting story.

First time I’ve ever heard of a straw deposit policy.

Where is this hamburger/pizza joint?  Name please? So I can boycott the place.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1