Tipping

debscruising59

Not really, although many people, including us, give additional cash to our servers and stateroom attendant because their service has been so excellent. You may want to note that if you order a beverage at a bar, cafe, or on deck a Gratuity will automatically be added.

The staff & crew on princess ships are always excellent at their jobs. We would never even consider removing the auto gratuities. That being said, DH & I are curious. What extra service do they provide that merits extra tipping, in addition to their salary & the gratuities already in place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

TWhat extra service do they provide that merits extra tipping, in addition to their salary & the gratuities already in place.

Almost no one in the tip pool has a salary. Depending on their country, their pay is either 100% tips,

or some nominal amount (like $50/month) plus tips.

No. You don't have to do anything more than that. You will be charged extra gratuities at times, check your receipts when you are at the bar.

I don't think it's ever helpful to tell people what they should and shouldn't be doing but I will state what we do: We do not prepay our gratuities, but we never have them taken off the bill. Also, on the first day we give our steward and head waiter $20 in full view of their team. Then on the last night, if the service has been over and above, we give them each another $20 in the same fashion.

...That being said, DH & I are curious. What extra service do they provide that merits extra tipping, in addition to their salary & the gratuities already in place.

On one cruise a couple of years ago with many elite on board the laundry turnaround was posted as three days. In actuality, if laundry was in by 9:00am it would be back the next day and if not it took another day. Our steward told us if we had our laundry out in the hall by 8:00am he would make sure to get it there before 9:00. We always got our laundry back the next day. Typically we mention to our steward that we will leave the “make up the room” card out when we leave for breakfast and they make sure it is done by the time we get back. They are doing their job but going a bit beyond to make our cruise a little more convenient. They get an additional tip at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The staff & crew on princess ships are always excellent at their jobs. We would never even consider removing the auto gratuities. That being said, DH & I are curious. What extra service do they provide that merits extra tipping, in addition to their salary & the gratuities already in place.

The crew has all ways been so very nice. The steward on our last cruise would see us coming down the hall way to our cabin, he would get there first and open the door for us. One two of our cruises we had the same steward, when he saw me he greeted me by name and then he said to me, "I will bring the extra bath towel that you need for your hair". I could not believe that he remembered from two months before that I ask for a extra towel for my hair.

Our head waiter would help me every night with the next days menu ( because I have a shellfish allergy). When he brought the next nights menu, we told him that we were going to eat in the specialty restaurant the next night. He ask us what time would we want. I told him. 15 minutes late he comes back to us and told us that he made our restaurant reservation, and spoke to them about my allergy and that they would take care of my needs there. I thought that was so nice of him. I fell that they went out of their way to be helpful.

Bottom line--if you feel like tipping more for whatever reason, you are free to do so. If you have tipped the suggested amount, either in advance or thru daily charges to your account, you have done what is expected. You do not need to feel wrong in any way if you see others tipping additional cash.

People have all sorts of rationales whether they tip the automatic or add extra. Do whatever you feel is right. Have I ever tipped extra? yes. Do I do it routinely? no.

I've had a number of crew members tell me that putting in the "Made A Difference" card (can't remember the actual name at the moment) and mentioning them on the post-cruise survey is vastly more important to them than any tip they might receive. On a cruise last October I did those things for a number of crew members but there wasn't enough room on the survey to mention all of them. I wrote a separate note and attached it to an email to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I received a nice phone call a week or two later thanking me profusely for the complimentary note and assuring me it would be forwarded to the managers and the crew members on that ship. Praise from passengers is one of the most important things a crew member can receive. Their salary and advancement are greatly affected by such things. If you want to truly reward crew members take the extra steps to do the thing that is really the most important to them.

Good for you. It's great you could find something to criticize so this can be another train wreck thread. Nice work.

I've only been here for a month or so and up until now, this has been the most well mannered and civil board that I've ever been a part of. Even commented to a family member just yesterday about how helpful and adult everyone is.

The along comes this. Oh well. Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

I've had a number of crew members tell me that putting in the "Made A Difference" card (can't remember the actual name at the moment) and mentioning them on the post-cruise survey is vastly more important to them than any tip they might receive. On a cruise last October I did those things for a number of crew members but there wasn't enough room on the survey to mention all of them. I wrote a separate note and attached it to an email to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I received a nice phone call a week or two later thanking me profusely for the complimentary note and assuring me it would be forwarded to the managers and the crew members on that ship. Praise from passengers is one of the most important things a crew member can receive. Their salary and advancement are greatly affected by such things. If you want to truly reward crew members take the extra steps to do the thing that is really the most important to them.

Exactly--we had an amazing server in the Crown Grill. I asked her to write down her real name because we wanted to write her a "consummate host" card, and I knew the name she used was not her real name. Her smile said it all.

Yes, these comment cards result in real "rewards" for crew members--one card may mean an extra couple hours off during a port day. An accumulation of good comments mean raises, promotions, etc. We spoke to one crew member who received a $100 bonus based on a letter from a guest. He was so happy that he was carrying around the pay stub showing the bonus!