Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

Can you have a luxury experience by booking a top suite on Celebrity?

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I can't believe that the other luxury lines (Seabourn, Silversea or Regent) have specialty restaurants that can accommodate large numbers so that unlimited guests can dine there every night.

Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2 has a total passenger capacity of 516.

It's speciality restaurants, for which there is no supplement, are:

Tarragon( French): 44 seats. Lunch (on selected days), and Dinner.

Serenissima ( Italian): 56 seats. Lunch and Dinner.

Elements ( Asian): 48 seats. Lunch and Dinner

Sakura (Sushi): 58 seats. Dinner.

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

Crystal's ship's capacity is 848 to 980.

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

How would they be "special" if there were 150 people dining at any one time? I can't believe that the other luxury lines (Seabourn, Silversea or Regent) have specialty restaurants that can accommodate large numbers so that unlimited guests can dine there every night.

Crystal did add 2 other evening dining venues - Silk, a Chinese restaurant and a Brazilian steakhouse. 

- on their last remodels.

Texas Tillie...

I’m not saying that their specialty restaurants should have been enormous, and I do at some point want to try Crystal again. But since my wife and I are always fine with a veranda stateroom, it seems kind of Dickensian to have a luxury cruise line tell me that we can eat once, and only once, at each specialty restaurant. Reminds me of Oliver Twist asking for more gruel! I’m assuming that reservations at a decent hour for a possible second visit are difficult to come by.

Anyway, we never had this issue with Regent. And the specialty dining venues on both Celebrity and HA, where we usually just buy a dining package, are pretty much always available, and always pretty good. 

2 hours ago, English Voyager said:

The Europa 2, from everything I’ve read, sounds spectacular. Have you ever cruised with them? Even though the crew is supposed to be bilingual, I’m wondering if it’s still a challenge for English speaking passengers.

3 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Texas Tillie...

I’m not saying that their specialty restaurants should have been enormous, and I do at some point want to try Crystal again. But since my wife and I are always fine with a veranda stateroom, it seems kind of Dickensian to have a luxury cruise line tell me that we can eat once, and only once, at each specialty restaurant. Reminds me of Oliver Twist asking for more gruel! I’m assuming that reservations at a decent hour for a possible second visit are difficult to come by.

Anyway, we never had this issue with Regent. And the specialty dining venues on both Celebrity and HA, where we usually just buy a dining package, are pretty much always available, and always pretty good. 

They are not telling you that you can eat only once at Prego and Umi Uma (you can eat as often as you want at Silk and the Brazilian steakhouse for no charge), but you do have to pay $30 after your first time at Prego and Umi Uma (assuming you are in a regular cabin and not a penthouse). All of this assumes availability. How busy the specialty restaurants will be varies from cruise to cruise. I can tell you that Waterside (the main dining room) is very good. I think you are creating a problem that doesn't exist as there are plenty places to eat on Crystal and all are very high quality. I've never sailed Celebrity, but I can tell you that the worst meal I have ever had on Crystal was better than the best meal I ever had on Holland America.

16 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

They are not telling you that you can eat only once at Prego and Umi Uma (you can eat as often as you want at Silk and the Brazilian steakhouse for no charge), but you do have to pay $30 after your first time at Prego and Umi Uma (assuming you are in a regular cabin and not a penthouse). All of this assumes availability. How busy the specialty restaurants will be varies from cruise to cruise. I can tell you that Waterside (the main dining room) is very good. I think you are creating a problem that doesn't exist as there are plenty places to eat on Crystal and all are very high quality. I've never sailed Celebrity, but I can tell you that the worst meal I have ever had on Crystal was better than the best meal I ever had on Holland America.

Tillie...

Once again, we disagree, though I think you’re probably right about me creating a problem that doesn’t exist. But the fact that we would only have two guaranteed reservations for Crystal specialty dining still rankles.

However, the worst meal I have ever had on a cruise ship, on any line, was the coq au vin on the Serenity in 2015. Though by now they’ve completely revamped their dining, so I doubt if the issue still exists, it was so monumentally unappetizing that it was, truly, gag inducing. I sent it back and got something else, and everyone seemed truly apologetic. But don’t think this was some subjective quirk on my part. The dish was awful.

And it’s wrong to dismiss HA dining. Though the main dining room wasn’t as good as Crystal, it’s still pretty good, and their new specialty dining venues are great.

13 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

The Europa 2, from everything I’ve read, sounds spectacular. Have you ever cruised with them? Even though the crew is supposed to be bilingual, I’m wondering if it’s still a challenge for English speaking passengers.

My last cruises were in 2016, and they were on the Europa 2.

With one exception, I have found the English language skills of the staff to be excellent, and of course daily programmes, and menus are available in English.

What would be lacking, given their formal nature, would be an easy interaction with fellow German passengers.

An additional point to bear in mind is that the entry level staterooms are approximately 300 sq ft plus a 75 sq ft balcony.