Frugal Husband’s Anthem of the Seas Review

Ref the obnoxious couple at dinner, I wonder if maybe putting one's finger to lips, making the ssh signal aloud or silently, repeating till noticed, would work.

One time on a cruise, a honeymoon couple was at the 2-top table next to us. The guy talked to us non-stop, till finally the young female interrupted him and said, not jokingly, "Why don't you talk to ME?" It was embarrassing.

I am not big on confrontations, but I have politely told another couple that while I do not want to seem rude, I really want to spend time talking to my wife during dinner. Being that direct, finally, got the message across. Too bad people cannot just read the obvious clues. Hope your remaining days are wonderful.

LOVE your review. We went on our 25th Anniversary this past June on the Anthem. We LOVED being able to talk without our 2 teens interrupting us. lol. I wonder how they were the rest of the cruise, did they talk to every person that they came across? My husband is very outgoing and we do meet new people on cruises but you know who is interested and not interested in talking. Most people that we have spoken to if we were sitting next to them at dinner, we would usually end up seeing them again at a show or at a bar, etc. Some people just don't get the hint and it is sad that they go on a cruise together and aren't actually enjoying their alone time together.

LOVE your review. We went on our 25th Anniversary this past June on the Anthem. We LOVED being able to talk without our 2 teens interrupting us. lol. I wonder how they were the rest of the cruise, did they talk to every person that they came across? My husband is very outgoing and we do meet new people on cruises but you know who is interested and not interested in talking. Most people that we have spoken to if we were sitting next to them at dinner, we would usually end up seeing them again at a show or at a bar, etc. Some people just don't get the hint and it is sad that they go on a cruise together and aren't actually enjoying their alone time together.

This is so true! We also enjoy meeting new people but of course there are limits. We like going to Lancaster, Pennsylvania once a year and sometimes we eat at a family style restaurant, where they seat you with other people at a long table. Sometimes we have great conversations with our table mates, and sometimes we sense that our table mates are not interested in engaging in conversation. Just because we’re at the same table doesn’t mean that everyone wants to get to know the people at the table that they don’t know and will never see again. It’s a shame that so many people out there don’t pick up on the clues. It’s really not hard to pick up on.

We are going on our first cruise without our kids in April on the Anthem. We are also looking forward to some uninterrupted adult conversation between the two of us! My boys are 13 and 11. My big one will be 14 a few months before we go, and my little one will turn 12 on May 1st, 4 days after we return.

Love the review! I always appreciate the addition of some Disney as well :) We are going on Anthem the last weekend of September on an adults only babymoon. It is our first trip ever together just the hubby and I (no other family or kids) that is longer than a weekend getaway. To say I am excited is a major understatement. I greatly sympathize with the dining struggles as I am extremely shy in person and don't do small talk. We requested a table for two so I am hoping we get it as well. With a 4 and 7 yr old at home eating alone together is quite the luxury lol!

Your Horseshoe beach tips are very helpful! The extended review of the hidden gem tour was great as well. It wasn't an option for us this time since I am pregnant but something I was considering for a future trip. The cave swimming seems like the definite highlight. Looks like you had a great trip! Good luck with the new school year!

Enjoy your time alone. That reminds me of Hibachi where you are seated with others. Seems like these 2 they encountered doesn't know limits and seems sad that they didn't have enough to speak to each other about that they had to be so involved with everyone else around them.

Yes, it’s just like hibachi! We’ve been to hibachi many times but we’ve actually never spoken to our table mates. Everyone always seemed to be enjoying the company of their own party and so were we. It is sad when a couple has to rely on new people around them in order to talk, rather than being satisfied spending time together as a couple and talking to each other! I can’t wait for the uninterrupted adult conversation! We also vacation with my family frequently. Any cruise we’ve been on together was with my parents and/or my sister and her family, and sometimes some extended family and friends, even before we were married and before we had kids! Wouldn’t change any of it for the world as we always had a blast, but it’s time for us to do a cruise just us.

As a history teacher I disagree. There is meaning and purpose behind places like the 9/11 museum and Gettysburg, or Arlington national Cemetery. People go to pay their respects, to learn, and people are moved by the experience.

If they were selling rides and balloons it would be different. But that museum is a wonderful tribute to those who died that day. It is part of our history and it is away for people to learn and to be educated.

I couldn't agree more. Today -- 17 years from a very sad day, which I remember all too well. "Only" 4 Israelis were lost, but the first thing we've done when visiting NY again (September 2014, last time was January 2001) was to see with our own eyes that, indeed, the "Twins" are gone. The whole complex was not fully operational, but we wandered around the pools, looked at the names and the white roses, and, like your wife, I had tears in my eyes. It was a very moving experience.

And, on a whole different note --

I was intrigued by the "frugal" and stayed on for the sense of humor. A good laugh is priceless these days.

THANK YOU

You have a Great Trip Report Style. Lots of Info. Wow, almost 50k Views of your Post. That's

"Rock Star" Status. I think we all are Frugal with certain " STUFF". Disney "priced" me out years

ago. Nice NYC info. I live 150 miles away, and don't like going there, unless it's for a Cruise.

Thank You !

Sorry for the delay again. Stupid work getting in the way.

Day 5. August 8th

Last day of the cruise. It went by so fast. This is the first picture of the day and it is time stamped at 9:43 am

49197e1440d6704ae125088cd6069b01.jpg

I can’t seem to remember what we did for breakfast. Maybe we didn’t get any. We did get a late start to the day which we didnt mind. We had been going non-stop for almost a week.

This morning we had ifly scheduled. I wanted to schedule my wife and I in two different sessions so we could take pictures of one another. My wife was really nervous so she put the kibosh on that idea. But how am I going to show everyone on CC that I really did this? Alright fine, it’ll just have to be a memory. Unfortunately that means no pictures...only my words to paint the picture.

We get to ifly about 10 minutes early and sign my life away again. And shortly after we are taken into a small room where our instructor says a few words and then shows a safety video. Seems pretty straight forward: keep your legs straight, arms out, look up, and try to relax your core. Instructor comes back in and says you can’t have any rings-even your wedding bands. Says it can break the glass. We already knew this so we had left our rings and our phones in the cabin. You do have the option of taping your rings if you can’t get them off.

In our group is my wife and I, another couple, and then an Asian family where English was their second language. I only mention that because I thought our instructor did an awesome job with the language barrier.

He also goes over the hand signals he will give you to help you get adjusted to find the sweet spot where you are floating. Basically him telling you about the legs/arms/relax because he won’t be able to talk to you in the tunnel because of the wind.

At this time the other couple asks about pictures. She has her cell phone and he says that while the cell phone is not allowed into the tunnel at all she can wait outside and take pictures of her husband and then when he is done they can’t switch places and he can be outside and take pictures of her. WHAT?!?! I didn’t know that was a possibility! So if it is just two of you go ahead and bring your phone. You can take pictures of one another from outside, you just won’t be together on the bench waiting your turn which isnt a big deal.

So I’m ultra bummed now.

Ok out we go and we get into our suits. They are oversized and Velcro shut. I feel like I am wearing an oversized clown suit. Very flattering. We then get our ear plugs and then our helmet and goggles. Also you do need to be wearing closed toe shoes.

Ok up we go into the tunnel. We enter the building that houses the wind tunnel (minus the wife of the other gentleman) and we take our seats on the benches just outside the actual tunnel.

Our instructor goes in, the wind cranks up, and he points to the Asian family for the first person to come on in. They are a disaster. Before we went in the instructor told us how to enter the tunnel. We go to the door, spread your legs to fill the door frame, then reach as far as you can over your head and then slowly fall forward. They do none of this. I’m sure it’s because of the language barrier.

So you are only in the tunnel for 60 seconds. It is to give you a taste of the experience. The quicker you and the instructor can work together to find your sweet spot the more “flight” time you get. Well none of the members of this family were listening to the instructor’s hand signals. So they never got any flight time. The instructor could never let go of them because they would of bounced around the tunnel like a pinball.

Ok my turn. My adrenaline is flowing. I step into the door frame, reach above my head to do my best “the field goal is good” ref signal and I slowly fall forward. All I want to do is look down for some reason. I get the hand signal to look up (oh right dummy. I’m in this thing 2 seconds and I’m already screwing up). Ok head up straight legs with a slight bend and arms out like Superman. And...I’m getting higher and higher. This is awesome! I’m not moving around nearly as much as the other family. I’m flying! Well floating but still! Harry Potter eat your heart out. Or maybe eat your heart out Peter Pan?

Anyways it is so thrilling I try to look at my wife but I can’t make her out. In fact I really can’t make out anything beyond the wind tunnel. And I am loving every second of it. I am smiling ear to ear. I’m so high up I want to look down to see but every time I look down I drop a bit.

All too soon my time is over and the instructor moves me back to the door.

My wife is up and surprisingly she catches on quick! Remember she is rather clumsy so I’m shocked at how easily and quickly she finds the sweet spot. It was fun watching her fly as I could tell she was loving it. All those fears and nerves were gone.

The other gentleman goes and then when he is done he steps all the way out and his wife comes in and does her turn. All 4 of us nail it. I’m feeling rather proud haha.

Once the other lady was done the father of the Asian family walks his youngest over to the door and motions for him to go again. Hey wait a minute! Why does he get a second turn! When he is done he tries to get his other son another go but the instructor finally caught on as to what was happening. He puts his hand up to indicate no more.

Then he puts on a show. The instructor flies all the way up falls all the way down he is doing flips and tricks and flying around like Iron Man. I am so into this. Once we got back home I looked into the nearest ifly and it’s not overly expensive.

Ok we walk back down together to return all our gear and our instructor says we did really well. Aha! Where is my gold star sir? The other couple comes up to us and says they took pictures of me and my wife when we went! They ask for my email address and say when they get back with internet they will send them to us! I gladly give them my email. They say yesterday in Bermuda their camera died on their excursion and another couple took pictures of them and they were wanting to pay that forward. How sweet!

For those wondering there was NOT a ship photographer outside the tunnel taking pictures which I was shocked by. I thought Royal would be all over that to make some $$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ahh yes work gets in the way. I miss my free time in the summer but at the same time I’m loving the classes I’m teaching this semester!

Awesome review on your iFly experience! I wish I had the courage to do this. I mentioned it to my husband but he isn’t interested in doing it. He has actually gone sky diving and he doesn’t think this will be nearly as thrilling lol. I still think he would enjoy it but oh well. We’re talking about doing the North Star though, while I’m Bermuda. That’s something more my style, mellow!

I just want to say some people can not read body language, those almost anywhere on the autism spectrum have no grasp of that concept. It would not have been rude to say something like It was nice to meet you, but my wife and I were planning a quiet intimate dinner for the two of us. If the couple were offended by that they weren't worth caring about offending. As I get older I find i have less patience for beating around the bush, but I try to be nice about it.

I just want to say some people can not read body language, those almost anywhere on the autism spectrum have no grasp of that concept. It would not have been rude to say something like It was nice to meet you, but my wife and I were planning a quiet intimate dinner for the two of us. If the couple were offended by that they weren't worth caring about offending. As I get older I find i have less patience for beating around the bush, but I try to be nice about it.

Love this tip and I will be using it in the future. I won’t be rude about it just more of a thanks but no thanks kind of deal

Just finished reading your very detailed review and I really enjoyed it. I went on a Bermuda cruise that didn't work out as planned, a storm came and shortened our time in Bermuda. I hope to go back one day and have as much fun as you did. I am also a Disney lover. I can't even remember how many times I have been there, which is really sad except I always have a wonderful time and I remember that. My first Disney trip was when I was 3 1/2 in CA before FL was even built. Once FL opened my dad took us there on vacation most every summer, back when you had to pick which rides you wanted to go on. I now take my grandkids most years to either the Halloween party or the Christmas party and sometimes visit in the summer and we have even gone on a Disney cruise. Disney and cruising are my favorite vacations.