Do Port Charges Count Towards Mariner Onboard Spending Bonus?

Overhead Fred

On the new site it's not intuitive. After logging in you have to go to Already Booked (even if you're not) then My Account (not Mariner Society) then My Mariner Status.

If you can get into the old site with https://www.hollandamerica.com/?ASCookie=RSOrigin it's not hidden below Already Booked. You simply log in, go to My Account and click My Mariner Status on the left side.

Edited by catl331

You know what I wonder about: When port charges are refunded, for whatever reason, the credit goes on your shipboard account essentially reducing what you have spent. A reduction for something that never was counted to begin with? I don’t really know, but just curious.

Spending is totaled without regard to where the money to pay for it came from. The port credits are just that, credits against your final bill - they do not decrease the total of your spending.

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, richwmn said:

Spending is totaled without regard to where the money to pay for it came from. The port credits are just that, credits against your final bill - they do not decrease the total of your spending.

Actually, I just had the opposite experience.  Refunded port charges specifically reduced my onboard spending total costing me 1 mariner day.  Maybe policy changed in the last year?

48 minutes ago, Tom_Cruise said:

Actually, I just had the opposite experience.  Refunded port charges specifically reduced my onboard spending total costing me 1 mariner day.  Maybe policy changed in the last year?

I would contact the Mariners Society about this. You should not be dinged in my opinion. It’s worth a phone call or email to them. 

10 minutes ago, freestyling said:

I would contact the Mariners Society about this. You should not be dinged in my opinion. It’s worth a phone call or email to them. 

Oh believe me I have tried.   After multiple emails with the MS, they are now pointing their finger at the Onboard Billing Dept.  I'll start on them next week 😫

On 9/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, lstrong said:

Question - How do I see how many cruise days I have been credited with?

Check your MARINER STATUS on the HAL website.  It shows the number of days you earned for each cruise you have taken.  Plus it breaks it down to show purchase days.

21 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Do FlightEase purchases add to Cruise days for Mariner Status?

Not as far as I know; I have used Flight Ease. 
The Flight Ease purchase is part of your fare, and none of that counts toward Mariner Days. The only thing that does count is charges against your on-board account. 

On 9/2/2018 at 8:36 PM, richwmn said:

It will depend on the State, County and sometimes other sales taxes for the port.

Example:

Fort Lauderdale, 7% pr $2.80

Miami, 6% or $2,40

Seattle, 10.1% or $4.04

If you request the bottle be delivered "at sea" these taxes will not be due, but the bottle will normally be in your cabin when you arrive.

And Tampa -8-1/2%!

On 11/9/2019 at 7:51 AM, RuthC said:

The only thing that does count is charges against your on-board account. 

On my last cruise, I earned 6 on-board spending points with a total bill of only $300.  I'm not complaining but to this day, I don't know how I earned those 6 points.  

Point is, I think any question including the OP's is a good question.  

22 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

On my last cruise, I earned 6 on-board spending points with a total bill of only $300.  I'm not complaining but to this day, I don't know how I earned those 6 points.  

Point is, I think any question including the OP's is a good question.  

The final bill usually does not equal the total onboard spending due to credits, rebates, etc.

44 minutes ago, Tom_Cruise said:

The final bill usually does not equal the total onboard spending due to credits, rebates, etc.

No OBC, no rebates, and no discounts.  But I did have the SBP so maybe I drank $1800 worth of booze and coffee.  Either way, it's not clear anywhere in HAL's guidelines how I earned 6 points.  

$300 to add an extra cruise day and we are still bewildered how we accrued 4 cruise days on our Feb. Oosterdam cruise. We didn't spend anywhere near $1200 while on the cruise even when we added up the allowable items. Our final bill was only $400. Still scratching our heads on that one.

Istrong - you can see the number of extra cruise days on each cruise in your HAL account on their website. Select Already Booked, then My Account, then My Mariner Status, then Cruise History. You will see each cruise with the number of actual cruise days, Suite Bonus and Extra Cruise Days.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, Aquahound said:

No OBC, no rebates, and no discounts.  But I did have the SBP so maybe I drank $1800 worth of booze and coffee.  Either way, it's not clear anywhere in HAL's guidelines how I earned 6 points.  

SBP and HSC would certainly be more than $300.

Roy

On 11/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, Aquahound said:

The SBP is known to garner lots of Mariner credits.

11 hours ago, Djptcp said:

$300 to add an extra cruise day and we are still bewildered how we accrued 4 cruise days on our Feb. Oosterdam cruise. We didn't spend anywhere near $1200 while on the cruise even when we added up the allowable items. Our final bill was only $400. Still scratching our heads on that one.

I wish I had your problem!  I never wonder why I have so many.  In fact, I am always wondering why I don’t.  I am still fighting for some suite day credits.  Maybe I’ll give them a call today.

11 hours ago, Djptcp said:

Did you pre-purchase anything? (Tours, beverages, etc.) If so, that amount is added to the $400 you spent on the cruise.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:51 AM, RuthC said:

The only thing that does count is charges against your on-board account. 

6 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Did you pre-purchase anything? (Tours, beverages, etc.) If so, that amount is added to the $400 you spent on the cruise.

I think this is part of the reason folks get confused.