Live Blog! – B2B2B Seward to Japan – Millennium 2018– Join us for our next adventure

Jim_Iain

Tokyo in Sept is very nice, very moderate weather. Aug is hot. Oct is cooling down considerably. Where you will need your jacket is out on deck. Captain Nikolas is great about avoiding storms. There was a big one last year. Not sure about Sitka in mid September. My guess it will be cool.

Typhoons do hit Japan and the Philippines every year, through late fall. But I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advise. I think I have packed to meet all contingencies - Everything from winter jacket, gloves and hat (for Alaska and probably the crossing) to bathing suites while on board.

All I need to do now is slip my shaving kit and toothbrush into my suitcase in the morning.

Jim Idid the TP May 2016 and flew from San Jose it was cheaper than SFO, and flew business class on ANA. It was nice, they have both an American menu and an Asian menu. Also for a snack you can have top ramen, it was pretty good for top ramen.

The lounge at the airport was nice and close to the gate.

Safe travels!!

Norma

Have a great time Jim! One of these days, we are going to need to sail together!

I'm really starting to get excited now that the packing is done. Would be fun to sail together. I need to start booking some cruises - will probably book a couple onboard even if they are just placeholders. Those extra credits are always nice.

Jim Idid the TP May 2016 and flew from San Jose it was cheaper than SFO, and flew business class on ANA. It was nice, they have both an American menu and an Asian menu. Also for a snack you can have top ramen, it was pretty good for top ramen.

The lounge at the airport was nice and close to the gate.

Safe travels!!

Norma

We really love being able to fly into our out of San Jose. It is so much easier of an airport to travel through and not having to put up with the threats of delays that we experience in SF.

I would have flown out of SJC for Alaska but when we originally booked SFO had a non-stop while San Jose only had connections. With Delta cancelling their non-stop we were stuck with having to fly out of SFO.

I'm looking forward to experiencing ANA. From what I have seen they have some wonderful lounges at Narita.

7b04b5b2b0d749c1e183a9a5b0ae6984.jpg

We are packed and almost ready to depart for the airport.

Just checking Uber and Lyft and looking like Lyft is winning this time at $5.00 less than Uber. As you can see we have lots of cars available in our area.

d64a2f5548305d44c938792100054f74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking forward to following your posts. As I will be joining the ship on Oct.13th.

How's the ship looking before it goes into dry dock next year?

I'll let you know once we are aboard. That will be on Friday.

Following especially interested in hearing about your cruise on Millie as we like to do Alaska on her June 2019.

Thanks - I'm sure you will enjoy all the changes they do during dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tuesday - September 4

All has done well today. The Lyft to the airport was very efficient and since we live in a reverse commute direction the traffic was very light until we got to the airport. For some reason (possibly construction) Terminal 1 was really backed up and it took a good 15 minutes to get up to the door once inside the airport grounds.

There were no lines at either Delta 1st Class CheckIn and TSA-PRE.

Our flight to Seattle was on time and we actually arrived in Seattle 20 minutes early. We are becoming big fans of Delta. It seems that most of the long haul flights we have taken this year have been on Delta. For lunch they were offering either hamburger sliders or a Chicken Cesar Salad. The hamburgers were nicely presented and was a very filling lunch.

dc6a198c26ae3f6c664bbfc196549dcd.jpg

We were happy to find that our connecting flight to Anchorage was parked adjacent to our arrival gate so we had plenty of time to just relax before our second flight. The flight initially was leaving on time but the Captain came on the PA to announce a small delay as they were still loading luggage. Seems that we had more luggage than normal (must be all of us cruisers heading north). It was also a relief as Delta's Luggage tracking app didn't show our luggage aboard until a couple minutes before closing up the hull It's nice to know your luggage is aboard before arriving at the destination

I'm updating my blog as we cruise at 35,000 ft. TMobile offers free texting while aboard and also gave me a free hour of Wifi. What more could a computer addict want.

We just had our dinner (5:30 PST). I chose a Chicken Breast while Iain opted for the Pasta. It was accompanied with a nice salad, veg and Ice Cream for desert. Surprisingly the chicken was nicely seasoned and moist.

2550f11f8de145209c9d26bd041a6982.jpg

Jim & Iain - Wishing you a great trip! We are Delta fans too, always good service and always seemingly on time for our frequent long haul trips to France. My husband and I are also looking forward to retirement (~5 years) so we can cruise when and as long as we wish. We did the Transpacific on Millennium in 2013, but eastbound from Shanghai to Seward. It was a great relaxing trip.

Bon voyage!

Joe (and Jeff)

Jim & Iain - Wishing you a great trip! We are Delta fans too, always good service and always seemingly on time for our frequent long haul trips to France. My husband and I are also looking forward to retirement (~5 years) so we can cruise when and as long as we wish. We did the Transpacific on Millennium in 2013, but eastbound from Shanghai to Seward. It was a great relaxing trip.

Bon voyage!

Joe (and Jeff)

Thanks. It really has surprised me how much we enjoy Delta. I’m a Million Mile Traveler on United and haven’t flown them much at all.

I think the best flight I have had so far was Delta from Buenos Aires to Atlanta.

You will love retirement. I still do a little work consulting but can do it even while on a cruise. Iain retired early and has never regretted it.

098bdd10bc0ed3de37fc8760cea1b3ce.jpg

Arrived Anchorage and was really easy to find the Celebrity Reps. We signed in with them and dropped our luggage. We waited about 10 minutes for a couple more people and then on our way.

The hotel for the first night was the Anchorage Marriott. Upon arrival we received our room key and had a 30 minute meeting with our guide to go over the trip. When we got to our room our luggage was awaiting us.

We took a nice walk and picked up a couple things - like a couple bottles of wine and some breakfast items.

We didn’t have dinner last night as we were still stuffed from the flight.

For our first day we have to have our luggage outside our door by 6:00 am and have to meet in lobby at 7:15. We are taking the glass domed train to Talkaneka then bus to Denali.

Im sipping my first cup of coffee right now and doing a little posting. We have been advised that we will not have phone or Internet service for much of the trip. Ugh.

01cd675eb0526db98bce81c03eec1be1.jpg

There are about 118 people on the land tour. 3 busses with about 40 per bus. Our bus only has 38.

Lobby crowded at 7:15 the designated meeting time. Good news so far everyone showed up on time.

We took a 1 mile bus trip to the train. You can leave what you want on the bus and it will meet us in a couple hours in Talkenka.

02499de39210878dd3cb1ed5d0c0be60.jpg

6061304845f3228fc1b7533999b21e52.jpg

What a wonderful day we had. The tour operators have been very efficient and well organized. After arriving at the train station, the tour buses parked for about 10 minutes and waited until they got a call from the train saying they were ready for us. Our group had 2 Wilderness Express Glass Top cars for our journey to Talkaneetna. We were rewarded with crystal clear skies and unobstructed views of Mount Denali. Our guide and driver said it was the clearest they have seen all season. You had the option of leaving what baggage you didn't need on the bus as it was meeting us in Talkaneetna.

On the train, guests had an option of a hot breakfast served in the dining car under our seats. We are not big breakfast eaters and had a muffin at the hotel before leaving. The cars also had a bartender who was serving Bloody Mary's or coffee drinks. We opted for just an Expresso with Chocolate and whipped cream.

f87bd566d8073b52069655bf7773fe19.jpg

c314ded12884b7638d22a2b4cb5ac402.jpg

3c668470ce89fa522f2e7bcd02d4b2b8.jpg

e05cad921af861dbd4f61c8885d405fe.jpg

The journey to Talkaneetna was just under 3 hours and was very comfortable. The trees are just starting to turn and it was an enjoyable journey.

Upon arrival in Talkaneetna we were met again by our driver and got back on our bus for a ride into town. Since it was so clear the Driver, Mark suggested we take a slight detour and took us to a lookout that he knew of with spectacular views of Mt. Denali. After a 15 minute stop and a group photo we were dropped off in town for 1 1/2 hours to enjoy on our own.

Talkaneetna is a very small town and easily traversed in 15-20 minutes. We found a really cute café for lunch and had a bowl of seafood chowder. The chowder was excellent but was relatively expensive at $30 for two bowls of chowder and two ice teas. Finding out quickly that things are expensive in Alaska compared to SF Bay area.

3c1ad59a3143fccf72ba7cc1579c22a8.jpg

864932b996530e9535531546e0e08d4e.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain