Riviera: Recent String of Lousy Cruise Critic Reviews

aaaaa

I can't prove it but several of those reviews appear to be written by the same person.

This site has people shilling for/against certain lines. Mostly for. (Check out the NCL board for instance.)

Although I admit I would be concerned about the "tuna of people" at the buffet.

I tend to agree with you, although sometimes it's hard to tell a cheerleader from a paid shill.

I don't think we have paid shills here, but I'm almost sure there are at least a couple of the Celebrity board, with identities that change over the years. A good one isn't always positive, sometimes they will agree with a negative assessment, then explain why that was okay. In the end it's just propaganda and spin. You can't believe everything you read.

Oceania's board is no different from many other cruise lines. Each line has its share of those who consider any criticism like a stab to the heart. You'd be better off criticizing their grandkids than their favorite cruise line. I don't know why that is. It's just a ship and who cares what others think of it; as long as you like it that's all that matters and if other don't it's of no concern to me.

Oceania's board is no different from many other cruise lines. Each line has its share of those who consider any criticism like a stab to the heart. You'd be better off criticizing their grandkids than their favorite cruise line. I don't know why that is. It's just a ship and who cares what others think of it; as long as you like it that's all that matters and if other don't it's of no concern to me.

Because any criticism of the line is in effect calling into question their discernment, perhaps?

You can't believe everything you read.

Barring truly "fake" reviews, you have to consider that all reviews are not on even ground. People write reviews based on their expectations, and two people, on the same cruise might have widely different expectations. The Marketing department for some of these cruise lines is to blame, because they help set unrealistic expectations.

But there is more. When a cruise (or anything) doesn't meet a person's expectations, different people react differently. Some people definitely overreact.

But having said all this, I REALLY REALLY hope that Oceania reads these reviews, and takes them seriously. If cruises are not meeting people's expectations, that is bad news for them. But it doesn't mean at all that you might not have a great time. But it also doesn't mean what other people say should be totally disregarded.

Mary, When something like that happens to me on a ship..I ask to speak to the GM and calmly tell him exactly what happened..I find the next time I go things are much better..sometimes when a crew has been on for a long time they just need reminding that everyone is important

Jancruz1

Great point, Jan. I thought it was just me until I read other posts. My recollection is that there were only 2 double loungers and 3 single loungers on the spa deck. When everyone Concierge and above is given access as a perk, it may be that the staff is not happy that people who have booked massages, etc. can't find a place to relax before or after a paid service, as the spa brochure indicates they can.

Staff may be trying to handle it by giving as little information as possible to anyone who shows up to use the spa deck but doesn't want to buy an additional paid service.

Mary

But having said all this, I REALLY hope that Oceania reads these reviews, and takes them seriously. If cruises are not meeting people's expectations, that is bad news for them.

They might read them but in reality they do not need to read them.

Every cruiser on Oceania receives not one but two evaluation forms during the cruise - a mid-cruise and final one. That is the proper place to make any pertinent comments one wishes to make - positive or negative; and those are definitely read by Oceania.

That also insures that only those who were actually on the cruise have a voice rather than possibly some imposters here.

I will add to Paul's comments saying Oceania will act on the comment in the mid cruise cards

I have had the staff contact us after we made some comments in the survey & try to correct the problem

When I see reviews stating the crew is being abused by management then one has to wonder how & did they witness a flogging or what :eek:

I have been a member of CruiseCritic for the last year but have missed the “Recent String of Lousy Cruise Critic Reviews”. It seems to me that positive or satisfactory reviews far outnumber any lousy review that I have seen. Am I missing something?

My recollection is that there were only 2 double loungers and 3 single loungers on the spa deck.

When I was on Insignia last December, I got a (great!) massage and spent part of the afternoon on the spa deck. There were loungers for about 16 people (with only a couple empty at that time) and the hot tub. I enjoyed the comfy lounger and the quiet relaxation, but sadly the hot tub was barely lukewarm and the "bubblers" didn't work. A man who was also in the tub said it had been like that the whole cruise even though he reported it. I look forward to going to that area again, though, on my next cruise when I'll have a PH cabin. Surely the hot tub will be fixed by then! :')

They might read them but in reality they do not need to read them.

Every cruiser on Oceania receives not one but two evaluation forms during the cruise - a mid-cruise and final one. That is the proper place to make any pertinent comments one wishes to make - positive or negative; and those are definitely read by Oceania.

That also insures that only those who were actually on the cruise have a voice rather than possibly some imposters here.

An evaluation and a review are not the same thing. I would certainly use an evaluation to point out problems that can be fixed after-the-fact, or for things where service might not have been as great as it should have been.

A review, posted here, is meant to tell other potential cruisers how their cruise was. For example, a person might say they received caviar on X or Z cruise line, but didn't see it on Oceania. But that isn't something you would complain about on a comment card.

Comment cards are not the place for general observations about what you experienced on your cruise, and likewise, reviews shouldn't be a means of complaining about unsatisfactory service that you want addressed on the ship, but there is also nothing wrong with telling potential cruisers about what you experienced.

I have been a member of CruiseCritic for the last year but have missed the “Recent String of Lousy Cruise Critic Reviews”. It seems to me that positive or satisfactory reviews far outnumber any lousy review that I have seen. Am I missing something?

Go read the recent reviews of Riviera in the Reviews section.

I see that one of the Reviews we have been talking about, the one with the list of complaints, seems to have been removed. There were 588 reviews of the Riviera, but now it shows 586.

It does seem to take time for reviews to get posted, I completed mine first thing on Friday and it still hasn't made it onto the site. No doubt it will appear soon.

I see that one of the Reviews we have been talking about, the one with the list of complaints, seems to have been removed. There were 588 reviews of the Riviera, but now it shows 586.

It does seem to take time for reviews to get posted, I completed mine first thing on Friday and it still hasn't made it onto the site. No doubt it will appear soon.

2 reviews were removed ...maybe the same poster as suggested earlier

My review took 2 wks & then went in the wrong place :o

I suspect the reviewers were off for the long weekend ...hard to believe people get time off when everyday is a holiday for us :halo:

Go read the recent reviews of Riviera in the Reviews section.

Thanks, I now see the “String of Lousy CruiseCritic Reviews” along with a large number of positive reviews. One of the lousy reviews was a result of misinformation by a TA or some unrealistic expectations by the pax. I’m amused by the extent of complaints posted as well as the gushing complimentary ratings. Many factors are in play, but the loyal passengers on the Oceania is one factor not to be dismissed.

In May we sailed on the Riviera from Rome to Venice. Our cruise was wonderful From the food to the excursions. This was our 7th Oceania cruise. Be careful making opinions based on this forum, I think some of the comments are not truthful. Please try Oceania, you will not be disappointed!

Jeanine, exactly why would anyone think that your comments are any more "truthful" than someone else's? People have different experiences, sometimes in the exact same places. They also have different expectations. To say someone is not being "truthful" because their experience may have differed from one's own is shortsighted IMO.

Thanks, I now see the “String of Lousy CruiseCritic Reviews” along with a large number of positive reviews. One of the lousy reviews was a result of misinformation by a TA or some unrealistic expectations by the pax. I’m amused by the extent of complaints posted as well as the gushing complimentary ratings. Many factors are in play, but the loyal passengers on the Oceania is one factor not to be dismissed.

I have been on CC since it’s inception on AOL.

I agree with the above poster. On ALL of the boards, you encounter the “loyal owners” of that particular board/cruise line, and any little comment in the negative provokes an attack on the poster.

It happened to me once, many years ago when I posted a negative review of an excursion in HAL.

I read the boards often, but keep my replies to a minimum.

I did post about our recent Insignia cruise, which we loved, but put a “disclaimer” :D at the beginning of the review.

Barb

Just returned from Alaska on the Regatta. Wonderful cruise. This was my fourth time on the Regatta and it looks great! My only complaint was the food. It definitely was not the same as on all my previous cruises. In all fairness they told me proudly that this was the first cruise with the new menus. Something was "off" when it came to the food. Just hoping this was a fluke since I have always found Oceania's food wonderful. This wasn't just in the GDR but also at Waves and the specialty restaurants as well. Service was excellent, as always, and I didn't

have any other complaints.

Not fair. Sure, I could order room service when I wake up at 4:30 or 5am, but I don't want to wake my husband who is able to sleep much later than I. It's a legitimate complaint and one I've had on every line we've sailed on. (though I've certainly taken note that Viking Ocean supplies even the lowliest cabin with a pod machine)

We just got off the Nautica and I might be mistaken but I believe you can go up to Horizons and get tea or coffee any time day or night from the machine they have up there.

As far as our cruise experience went, we had a great time, especially on the 20 day Iceland/Greenland/Ireland leg and look forward to going on our next one on the Riviera. Food was great, entertainment was great, our aft-facing cabin was great, the average age of the passengers was 64 and they were great, the O shore excursions were great, the service was beyond great and overall we had a great time!

Sure, there were bumps along the way, as there usually is when you pack 660 passengers into a confined space for 20 days. But we adjusted accordingly and moved on.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

After reading these posts, I went back and checked the Riviera reviews. The most recent reviews have been very positive.

As for the negative reviews...perhaps some of the reviewers were confused, since there is no Tuscan Steak on Riviera....

Ken, think we are on the same cruise (Greece 10/14) - look forward to meeting you! Hope the Riviera is as lovely as it's been in the past, especially since we are bringing some friends along for their first Oceania cruise!

After reading these posts, I went back and checked the Riviera reviews. The most recent reviews have been very positive.

As for the negative reviews...perhaps some of the reviewers were confused, since there is no Tuscan Steak on Riviera....

Ken, think we are on the same cruise (Greece 10/14) - look forward to meeting you! Hope the Riviera is as lovely as it's been in the past, especially since we are bringing some friends along for their first Oceania cruise!

I'm sure it will be a great cruise and your friends will be wowed just like the rest of us were when we cruised with O the first time!