Tipping Longshoremen--do you or don't you?

ON cruiser

Hello all; in another thread Copper pointed out that longshoremen make a six figure income--certainly this was news to me, anyway. For all our cruises when arriving at the port in Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, or elsewhere (in the USA), I have always tipped the longshoremen who take our bags from the cab.

Frankly, I have felt obligated to do so, as they stand there, not literally with their "hands out" but clearly (to me) signifying their interest in a gratuity. My concern is that if I do not tip them the $5 or so, my luggage may end up being stomped on by the proverbial elephant that they have out back :) and the cases may not even make my ship!

Ok, kidding aside--what do you do? Tip, or not and if you do, do you feel "guilted" into it? Or do you offer a pleasant "thank you", and walk over to check-in?

While I am happy to tip those whose income depends on it, for someone earning a six figure salary, I think they are doing ok, and can do without my contribution. Discuss...

ALWAYS, I never fail to tip them. They take my heavy bags in rain, snow, HEat and are always courteous to me . I am happy t o thank them for the work they do. WAY foo many people fail to say a simple thank you these days at times they should . The st tevedors have never failed to say thank you to me a nd wish me good cruise.

Again the tasteless fascination here ab out what PEOPLE EARN. i dON't care, I DON'T KNOW and cannot understand why anyone thinks it is their busness what size paycheck prople take home. i hope gthey are paid enough compensaftion for the work they do and Ihope they do thir work well and safely,

JMO but,,,,,,,,,, you a sked

Edited by sail7seas

No way, no how do I tip longshoremen/porters. Their compensation package is not constructed in such a way that gratuities are considered in the overall salary, like say a waiter in a restaurant.

That said everyone should do what they are comfortable with, and I’m comfortable with not tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey ON,

>While I am happy to tip those whose income depends on it, for someone earning a six figure salary,....

That's how they earn that salary.

Ira

Indeed.

Tipping is s an expense of travel. I expect to tip and do not begrudge

tipping,

If it stressed my budget too far, I woulds stay home, save and travel when I could better afford it.

JMO b ut , OP, you asked.

Edited by sail7seas

An implied threat of extortion if one does not "tip"? The other side of the gratitude for service rendered coin. I tend to agree with the former when it comes to "Longshoremen" swiftly moving in to help with hands out.

BTW: this is a very interesting topic to search on google - perspectives come in from all over the place.

Hello all; in another thread Copper pointed out that longshoremen make a six figure income--certainly this was news to me, anyway. For all our cruises when arriving at the port in Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, or elsewhere (in the USA), I have always tipped the longshoremen who take our bags from the cab.

Frankly, I have felt obligated to do so, as they stand there, not literally with their "hands out" but clearly (to me) signifying their interest in a gratuity. My concern is that if I do not tip them the $5 or so, my luggage may end up being stomped on by the proverbial elephant that they have out back :) and the cases may not even make my ship!

Ok, kidding aside--what do you do? Tip, or not and if you do, do you feel "guilted" into it? Or do you offer a pleasant "thank you", and walk over to check-in?

While I am happy to tip those whose income depends on it, for someone earning a six figure salary, I think they are doing ok, and can do without my contribution. Discuss...

Yes I will tip . They are providing a service. Don't hate on them for having a contract that pays them a good wage.

Anyone who lifts my bags from hotel drivers, to curb side check in porters they all get tips.

I can't speak to other ports, but here in Vancouver the longshore employees, including baggage handlers, are unionized and make a wage and benefits package well in excess of that received by many if not most passengers. I have a vague recollection that there are signs indicating that tipping is not required.

We usually tip for having our baggage handled.

There are certain ports where tipping is not necessary and, in those cases we follow the custom of the country we are in.

But, in FLL, yes we tip and, I totally confess - I wonder if our bags would not make it to the ship if we failed to do so. :loudcry:;)

Yes, we tip in the US for that reason, we have been intimidated more than once with that very feeling. However circumstances have changed and we will need help and we will tip accordingly where ever we are.

When we traveled with luggage we would tip in FLL or MIA. We would also wait and watch that our bag got lifted into the cage destined for the ship. They also provided us with a baggage tag because we seldom bothered pre printing the cruise line tags.

We did it because we had the same concerns as others. But only $1 or a bag. So usually $2. But that was six or seven years ago prior to going to carry on.

Never had an issue with getting bags. They always showed up in a cabin promptly no matter what cruise line we were on. Not certain how they could be mistreated at the port. You get out of your cab, give the bag to the porter, and they immediately place it or them in the cage for transit to the ship. Don't see how they can damage a bag since this all occurs within 10 or fifteen feet of you.

Edited by iancal

Yes, we tip in the US for that reason, we have been intimidated more than once with that very feeling. However circumstances have changed and we will need help and we will tip accordingly where ever we are.

Yes, intimidation is so nice isn't it? Don't give in! Tell them to get another job if they don't like it!

We usually tip for having our baggage handled.

There are certain ports where tipping is not necessary and, in those cases we follow the custom of the country we are in.

But, in FLL, yes we tip and, I totally confess - I wonder if our bags would not make it to the ship if we failed to do so. :loudcry:;)

Does anyone know a specific person who did not get their bags or got therm in bad conditon? Or is it just urban legend being re peated of fear it Might happen if one does not tip? I suspect noone actually knows of a verified incident t. I have sailed a gbfreagt many ruizes on a number of cruise lines fcrom various US. (and foreign) ports and never heard of a " REAL case of that. .

I know..... Just because I did not hear of it, does not mean it did not happen

I hate tipping and anyone who begs for tips. People who tip are trying to promote American culture or their sense of moral superiority. I could give you many reasons why tipping is evil but then I will be attacked...

But you think it okay to attack American Culture ? Just as you express your natural aversion to b eing attacked ?

Well since the question has been asked - yes, I do know of people whose luggage ended up in the drink (water). It was retrieved but everything was soaking wet when it got to their cabin.

Not a nice way to start a cruise. I knew them and, BTW, they didn't believe in tipping. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate accident and not a coincidence :rolleyes:

Well since the question has been asked - yes, I do know of people whose luggage ended up in the drink (water). It was retrieved but everything was soaking wet when it got to their cabin.

Not a nice way to start a cruise. I knew them and, BTW, they didn't believe in tipping. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate accident and not a coincidence :rolleyes:

Do they believe in tipping NOW???

Do they believe in tipping NOW???

LOL - after the incident they said they would be tipping in the future ;)

I should mention that HAL was very helpful with laundry for free and assisting with a bit of clothing while it was being done.

Sorry, neglected to say this was Port Everglades/FLL.

Edited by kazu